Deepsea Warrant

No Status Required
May 5, 2018
Panama City Beach via Imperial Beach
Name
Ray
Boat
None
I didn’t see any one throwing a popper. I certainly thought about it, but after I and others tried surface iron, colt snipers, knife jigs and flat falls with no luck, decided to stick with the baits they were constantly boiling on.

Yep...if it is not broke don't try and fix it. Never fished the Tomahawk but the boat sure seems fishy.

Upvote 0

DennisV

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 4, 2017
Paloma, CA
Name
Dennis Vagt
Boat
Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
I asked the Captain about what they’ve been seeing in the stomachs and he said a little bit of red crab, but mostly empty or full of their chum. Not the answer I expected I’m so used to seeing fish spit up red crab this year.

Mostly empty is good. No wonder they're biting.

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
Howdy Don! (been awhile, eh?)

does not surprise me a bit that you were on these fish......damn, I gotta get out there........perfect size for this old guy! :D

GREAT REPORT!!!!!

Reactions: jer dog
Upvote 0

500BBC

Almost A Member
Oct 19, 2007
LA
Name
Brad
Boat
19' Schiada, Neighborhood Menace
Great report but one thing I contently read on here is "the Captain said no one can use"...I am not paying to ride the boat just to bolster the boats catch reports. I am paying to have fun regardless of the outcome. If I chose to dump 500 yards of "my" line, or break off every fish I hang so be it. I have been a licensed guide for over 35 years and the one inevitable fact is we are here for the customers enjoyment, not the other way around. Without customers there is no industry. Fish whatever, however you choose. Now if they want to let me ride for free, then hell yes.

Says "That Guy".

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
Great report but one thing I contently read on here is "the Captain said no one can use"...I am not paying to ride the boat just to bolster the boats catch reports. I am paying to have fun regardless of the outcome. If I chose to dump 500 yards of "my" line, or break off every fish I hang so be it. I have been a licensed guide for over 35 years and the one inevitable fact is we are here for the customers enjoyment, not the other way around. Without customers there is no industry. Fish whatever, however you choose. Now if they want to let me ride for free, then hell yes.

I love fishing with people that discount the chance that a 150 to 200 pound fish might be hooked. Then fishing the right size gear I hook one ...then they hook one nearly that size and burn me off in a tangle ..makes me so happy the were pleased with themselves.
when you going and what boat? please keep us informed

Upvote 0

Getty

Mar 26, 2016
long beach
Name
Greg
Boat
Samson
Hi, I was on this trip, landed two fish (my first BFT) and farmed two others making rookie mistakes. Scotty was awesome shadowing me while I fought my first fish and was ready with the gaff when the fish was ready. He The jackpot fish was landed by a gentleman fishing lighter line 40lb or maybe less and a Shimano Tranx500. He fought the fish for at least two hours, what a great way to finish off a perfect day on the water. The guys that got the most bites said they were using blackwater floro, with mono and then spectra underneath. There were several fish landed on the kite, with a setup they kept calling the double trouble. I did see some people throwing colt-snipers but didn't see anyone fishing a flat-fall vertically. The captain didn't tell us we COULDN'T fish line below a certain pound test but did STRONGLY SUGGEST that we fished 40lb line or heavier.

The Tomahawk is a top-notch boat, with a great crew that don't look like they've been doing drugs or drinking for a week. We are booked to go out again next weekend, hope the fish are still hanging around by then.

Upvote 0

r8rs4lf

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF
I didn’t see any one throwing a popper. I certainly thought about it, but after I and others tried surface iron, colt snipers, knife jigs and flat falls with no luck, decided to stick with the baits they were constantly boiling on.

How did you have your bait rig set up?

Braid>mono>flouro?

Braid>flouro?

Upvote 0

500BBC

Almost A Member
Oct 19, 2007
LA
Name
Brad
Boat
19' Schiada, Neighborhood Menace
:p
I love fishing with people that discount the chance that a 150 to 200 pound fish might be hooked. Then fishing the right size gear I hook one ...then they hook one nearly that size and burn me off in a tangle ..makes me so happy the were pleased with themselves.
when you going and what boat? please keep us informed

I wanna see him "guide" 25 anglers on 90' of rail in a WFO 80# tuna bite while he fishes light line.

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
It was a definite golden day to be out Bluefin Tuna fishing! Fine job. A little surprised on the nose hooked baits, I couldn't buy a bite on the nose hooked baits? Still got my share though on the butt hooked ones.

Upvote 0

doncatfish

Dec 21, 2006
San Clemente
Name
Don
Boat
30' Albemarle
What do you use to connect mono to flouro?

Surgeon knot?
I asked Gavin the Captain of the Pac Queen this question a few years ago, and I've had great success with the knot he recommended. Pretty simple, I cut off 3 feet of fluro and do a triple or quadruple overhand hand knot depending upon the line thickness. Not the prettiest know you'll ever see, but it's worked great for me.

Reactions: Iron Rod
Upvote 0