apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
I received my property tax bill for my boat today "DUE NOW" Partial payments not accepted....
It is going to get worse. This is just like having to toss a brand new fully spooled Phenix and Talica over the side each year as tribute...As if I am not taxed on everything already........

Reactions: MJB and badpetedave
Upvote 0

Islandrat

Wish I was new
Aug 15, 2007
Camarillo
Name
Eric
Boat
Davis 22 to Radon 26 to Crystaliner 33
Yeah its crap, unless u go commercial. Everything u put on and in that thing is taxed, yet u still pay on it.

Reactions: apogee
Upvote 0

9Fish

Jun 4, 2012
Fremont /Ca/USA
Name
Dan Yourish
Boat
do not own a boat YET
When I bought my bought I started getting the tax bill...no big deal it's just part of owning boat but when I sold my boat I kept getting the bill after get theating notice I finally call and asked why I was still getting billed and the response was "I never called them and told them I sold boat". I asked where did you get the information to bill there response was DMV. Our great government at work.

Reactions: stairman
Upvote 0

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Why not just register your boat in Arizona or Nevada, anywhere but here in CA.
They have that covered. People used to take delivery out at sea on big boats and then the out of state thing. eventually there was language included to prevent having your boat or aircfart reigistered in one state and operated in another.......

Upvote 0

BiggestT

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
I received my property tax bill for my boat today "DUE NOW" Partial payments not accepted....
It is going to get worse. This is just like having to toss a brand new fully spooled Phenix and Talica over the side each year as tribute...As if I am not taxed on everything already........

Don't worry, you're a 1%er and can pay a little more.

Upvote 0

Liv2 huntnFish

Trying to be the report instead of reading it!
Jan 12, 2012
Bakersfield Ca.
Name
Chasi'n Tails
Boat
2352WA Trophy
Ive had my father in Laws boat now for the last 2 years. Its been in mine and my wife's name ever since we took the keys. My F.i.L. just called me to say he just received the tax bill on the boat.

Reactions: Gil Marlin
Upvote 0

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Upvote 0

Gil Marlin

World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator
Nov 27, 2003
Laguna Percebu Baja Norte
Name
Scott
Boat
19.655' Aluminum
Ive had my father in Laws boat now for the last 2 years. Its been in mine and my wife's name ever since we took the keys. My F.i.L. just called me to say he just received the tax bill on the boat.

I hope he paid it for you... keeping it in good running order and everything... :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Liv2 huntnFish
Upvote 0

Unassailable

Professional Amateur
Aug 26, 2009
San Diego
Name
John B
Boat
BW
I have an old 18 footer. Never seen a bill for tax on it. Does it start with a certain size or value? I will be moving up to a bigger boat soon, I guess I should know this.

You need to look up the minimum value of the boat that they will tax in your county. The county sets the minimum value the boat worth will get taxed at. The state minimum worth is $400.

Personal Property
Personal property is defined as all property except real property.
Personal property is either tangible or intangible.
Generally, all tangible personal property is taxable except where specific exemptions are provided. Tangible
personal property is any property, except land or improvements, that may be seen, weighed, measured, felt, or
touched, or which is in any other manner perceptible to the senses.
Examples of taxable tangible personal property include portable machinery and equipment, office furniture,
tools, and supplies. Examples of nontaxable tangible personal property are household goods and personal effects,
noncommercial boats worth $400 or less, and goods held for sale or lease in the ordinary course of business
(inventories).

Upvote 0

Steveo77

Steveo77
Apr 22, 2012
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Name
Steve
Boat
Grumpy
You need to look up the minimum value of the boat that they will tax in your county. The county sets the minimum value the boat worth will get taxed at. The state minimum worth is $400.

Personal Property
Personal property is defined as all property except real property.
Personal property is either tangible or intangible.
Generally, all tangible personal property is taxable except where specific exemptions are provided. Tangible
personal property is any property, except land or improvements, that may be seen, weighed, measured, felt, or
touched, or which is in any other manner perceptible to the senses.
Examples of taxable tangible personal property include portable machinery and equipment, office furniture,
tools, and supplies. Examples of nontaxable tangible personal property are household goods and personal effects,
noncommercial boats worth $400 or less, and goods held for sale or lease in the ordinary course of business
(inventories).
Thanks for the info

Upvote 0