DocSki

Captain
Mar 24, 2007
So. El Monte
Name
James(Doc Ski)Labanowski
Boat
17' Carolina Skiff
Hey Gang got some new to pass and a couple requests. The news is that one of our own is in a battle and needs our help. Brent Ikari of Sato Custom rods is faced with Stage 4 Colon Cancer. He has a lot going for him with a family full of support but he definetily could use all the help he can get from us too. Please put him on your prayer list or just send him lots of positive thoughts. I doubt this is going to be a short battle but with all of us in his corner I think the chances go way up. Also for those who might be so inclined there are a couple fundraisers going on for him here is the link to one of them.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/521550601323705/
T-Shirts and donations can be done thru that site.
The second one is a fundraiser here in SoCal. It is going to be held in Long Beach on the 13th of Jun. Some raffles, food and Music and just maybe a place for us rod builders to swap some secrets. I for sure will be there. Love to see as many as possible make it. We can have fun and infuse him with lots of positive Spirit. Here is the link to check it out.
I want to get him back doing this FF to 05:30 but he is in it of and on everywhere.

Upvote 0

capntim

Jan 18, 2012
Laguna Hills, CA
Name
Tim
Boat
Hobie 1
Damn sorry to hear about this!!!!!!! Will try and make it. This has not been a good weekend for me. This is #3 for this weekend
receiving this kind of news!

Upvote 0

DocSki

Captain
Mar 24, 2007
So. El Monte
Name
James(Doc Ski)Labanowski
Boat
17' Carolina Skiff
I know Tim. Not a good year here either. Brent is a young man and with lots of backing and power from all sources who knows. I hope our rod building world can get behind him. I know a couple that will be there on the 13th..

Upvote 0

JTrelikes

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 3, 2006
    Lakeside, CA
    Name
    Jim Trelikes
    Boat
    Bubba Jean 28
    Been keeping Brent in my positive thoughts since this came to light. He's definitely a good egg, and this is just another case of bad things happening to good people. (and that ALWAYS sucks)

Get well soon Brent, there's a lot more rods to be built and fish to be caught! ;)

Upvote 0

DocSki

Captain
    Mar 24, 2007
    So. El Monte
    Name
    James(Doc Ski)Labanowski
    Boat
    17' Carolina Skiff
    Great Anthony. I hope a lot more builders take some time on the 13th to Get Brent supercharged for his battle

Reactions: Bigfishhateme
    Upvote 0

graya

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Dec 3, 2005
    Fontana CA
    Name
    Guadalupe Raya
    Boat
    none
    i will be there and hope god gives him the strength to fight hard and beat this disease it can be done with gods will my wife 12 years cancer free

Reactions: Wiseguy
    Upvote 0

DocSki

Captain
    Mar 24, 2007
    So. El Monte
    Name
    James(Doc Ski)Labanowski
    Boat
    17' Carolina Skiff
    Great you are coming Lupe, are you going to bring Nacho and Abel too. Be great to get all the BD90 guys together.

Upvote 0

usncporet

Jun 19, 2012
    Bakersfield, Ca. USA!
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    Laura
    So sorry to hear this and wish I could attend. Have only met Brent at the last two Fred Hall shows and he is the guy who introduced me to the Power Wrapper. Bought one because of Brent and I love it!
    My prayers are with you Brent!
    Larry Hanssen

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 27, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    http://killingcancer.vice.com

Hopefully very soon Cancer will be a thing of the past.

In the mean time, let us that are further removed know how we can help.

I frequently browse his website for inspiration and drooled over his work at FHS.

Best wishes to him and his family during these difficult times.

Upvote 0

forefrazier

Captain
    Jun 14, 2007
    OC
    Name
    Steve Frazier
    Boat
    Cabo 226
    Damn...I don't check the boards as often anymore but so sorry to hear this. Will definitely be checking this post more now and support Brent in his fight with the big C. Cancer sucks and as many have said already, it affects all of us in one way or another. Be strong Brent and will be hoping for a speedy recovery bud!

Upvote 0

YT Addict

YT Addict
    Nov 13, 2009
    Yorba Linda/CA/USA
    Name
    Brent
    Boat
    none
    Thank you very very much everybody for the support, prayers and good vibes. You have no idea how much it helps, mentally and emotionally, to have so many people cheering you on during all of this. I found out that I have stage 4 colon cancer on March 16th right after the LB Fred Hall show. I was admitted into the hospital that day and had 1 of two surgeries the next day. I had another surgery 5 days later and was in hospital for the next 13 days recovering. I'm about to have my 4th round of chemotherapy this Monday. Tons of shitty side effects as you can imagine but I'm keeping a positive attitude.

My son took this pretty hard at first because he lost one of his boy scout leaders to brain cancer two years ago. He's doing better now that I've assured him that I will never give up no matter how hard this fight is. He actually calls me sometimes now to see how I'm doing!!! He's 13 so he understands this all. My 7 year old daughter doesn't know too well but she knows I'm sick and taking lots of medicine. She lives with her mom in FL but will be spending the summer with us so I'm really happy and excited about that.

If you guys can make it to the picnic my cousins are putting together for me on June 13th in Long Beach, there will be a BBQ lunch with a $5 fee and a very large raffle, mostly fishing gear, that has been donated by several people and lots of companies!!! Batson Enterprises has donated an Alps wrapping machine, a few tackle shops donated several rods. I can't even remember how much stuff right now...."chemo brain" has me pretty good and I can't remember shit, even from just 2 minutes ago. Kelp clothing donated several shirts, hoodies and hats. The list goes on. Captain Dave Marciano from Wicked Tuna will be there along with his wife Nancy. It's gonna be a great day. I've lost most of my hair so don't trip out on me!!! Hope to see you guys there. The more the merrier.

Brent

Upvote 0

DocSki

Captain
    Mar 24, 2007
    So. El Monte
    Name
    James(Doc Ski)Labanowski
    Boat
    17' Carolina Skiff
    I am going to be there with Rocky and Vicki, we will have at least one fish mount and Maybe two to be raffled off. I really hope to see lots of our rod building buddies there too.

Upvote 0

YT Addict

YT Addict
    Nov 13, 2009
    Yorba Linda/CA/USA
    Name
    Brent
    Boat
    none
    Hey all, just wanted to send out a short reminder and update about the picnic fundraiser my cousins are putting together for me on June 13th in Long Beach. Instead of BBQ, Super Mex has offered to feed the 300 people we're expecting. It's still only $5 to get in and get the lunch. Some incredible prizes to be won!!! A $400 smoker, Forecast wrapper, new BBQ, lots of rods, tackle and apparel. Lots of my friends and relatives are also putting together gift baskets of wine, foods, etc for those who don't fish. It's really turned into a huge even that I would have never expected. I'm looking forward to it. It's just two days before my scheduled chemotherapy so I should be feeling good and have my energy back. Hope to see alot of you there from Bloody Decks!!!

Upvote 0

Ultimate Catch

One life to live!!
  • Jul 30, 2008
    San Diego
    cox.net
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    Luhrs Tournament series
    Great support and strong spiritual faith does in deed go a long way....my thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Upvote 0

LeoNYC

Almost A Member
    May 27, 2015
    Name
    Lenny
    Boat
    In the market
    My thoughts and prayers are with him and his loved ones. Cancer is one undiscriminating SOB and can choose anyone at any given time. My Father is on his 3rd month of remission from colon cancer and so far so good after the fight using chemo and radiation.

Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
    Sep 6, 2005
    Escondido
    Name
    Buster Brown
    Boat
    28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
    Hey all, just wanted to send out a short reminder and update about the picnic fundraiser my cousins are putting together for me on June 13th in Long Beach. Instead of BBQ, Super Mex has offered to feed the 300 people we're expecting. It's still only $5 to get in and get the lunch. Some incredible prizes to be won!!! A $400 smoker, Forecast wrapper, new BBQ, lots of rods, tackle and apparel. Lots of my friends and relatives are also putting together gift baskets of wine, foods, etc for those who don't fish. It's really turned into a huge even that I would have never expected. I'm looking forward to it. It's just two days before my scheduled chemotherapy so I should be feeling good and have my energy back. Hope to see alot of you there from Bloody Decks!!!
    I'm trying to make it........maybe I should just bring the snake with me....LMAO!.....

Upvote 0