One mistake away from Disaster....7/29/21

May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
...Yesterday, the Ocean Odessey sport charter boat was offshore Mexico when the rooftop kelp spotter saw a man in the water...His "man overboard" yell, quickly set things into motion. After the rescue, it turned out to be a free diver who was diving off his father's boat some 20 miles off the Mexican coast..He became separated and had been in the water over 4 hours before being spotted...
...It is easy to disappear in the waves as the swell builds...multiple spotters should always be posted for any offshore diving trip...it was his lucky day...this time..

Moral: Anytime a free diver enters the ocean, he is just one mistake away from becoming part of the food chain...

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    After 4 hours you would hope his dad would have radioed coast guard and every other boat in the area to search for him,glad he was okay.

Reactions: Mtnfshr and Fish613
    Upvote 0
    Feb 27, 2019
    California
    Name
    Mateo
    Boat
    Montauk -> Me shell
    jeez so crazy super glad he was spotted praise the Lord! With the windswell on the rise it gets more dangerous to be away from the boat for sure. This is a good outcome would love to hear from him what he was thinking how it went down if he was praying

Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
    Apr 24, 2005
    in the Hood
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Franks ho
    Repost

Reactions: Mateo el Flaco
    Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    Repost
    The reason he stayed afloat for 4 hours,
    Is because he has big balls, for
    Going in the water 20 miles from shore.

Reactions: Mateo el Flaco
    Upvote 0
    May 13, 2004
    Long Beach and points due west
    Name
    Bob Ballew
    Boat
    2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
    I took the liberty to repost, as not all free divers read the rod and reel reports...plus I received the info in e-mails from two of the sport charter captains as soon as it occurred...
    ...The young diver later stated he dropped in while the boat was still moving and his dad didn't see him exit the boat....lack of communication created a near disaster...good lesson for all...

Last edited:
    Reactions: tunakillerjoe1
    Upvote 0