One man’s wahoo rigging suggestions

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by mmayo, Oct 5, 2017.

1. mmayo

mmayo Barking Spider

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Vagabond & Royal Star
    First, your mileage may vary and what you do might suit you better. These techniques helped me catch 11 wahoo on my last 10 day. My point is to share information not to say this is the best way.

I just finished making up and testing a variety of live bait leaders for a 10 day trip soon. The testing part has helped me get more fish to the fish hold. I know the leaders are going to work before I tie them on my line.

One part was made by me to use at home or in the galley on the boat. It is simple, consisting of an eye bolt, washers, nuts, heavy duty swivel and a board.

[​IMG]

I attach the ring of the bait leader through the swivel and hold the board down with my feet. The hook attaches to the hook end on my spring scale. I pull up carefully away from my face. Sometimes I place a rag over the hook when trying new crimps or to add safety in case the leader fails. Happily, few now fail and test far past the pounds of pull I might use on my reels when wahoo fishing.

I like the Nicopress #17-BA crimper and use the small recess near the end of the tool. The deal with this tool is you crimp as hard as you want and it works correctly. You cannot overcrimp.

[​IMG]

Here is one of my live bait leaders using Knot2Kinky 40# and a 4/0 designer hook. It tested out to 20# of pull several times. I’ll use 10-15# on my reels so plenty tough. The leader passed the eye test too, clean, even and stealthy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like these crimps for 27# wire (Amazon). Crimp several times as they are long. Leaders test out to 15# of pull.

[​IMG]

Here is a sample of 27# multi-strand wire and these tiny single crimps. They are twice as long as standard #1, but stealthy.

[​IMG]

I like these crimps for 40# solid, multi-strand and NiTi (titanium) wire (Amazon). It takes two squeezes side by side to complete the crimp.

[​IMG]

I like a very different crimp for 60# solid or multi-strand wire. It is a double crimp, but I still use the same Nicopress crimper in the end recess. I buy them directly from Catch-All Tackle. When making up wahoo bombs the .6 and .8 double crimps are perfect too. It takes several squeezes to fully complete the crimping with these Long double crimps.

[​IMG]

Shown below is a sample of 60# multi-strand wire with double Catch-All Tackle crimps. After crimping they are small.

[​IMG]

Lastly, I make my own rings using Rosco #3 stainless steel butt rings. I silver braze them together, clean them well and spray paint them flat black. They are tiny, smaller than most retail versions, but hold up to over 30#-40# of pull without breaking or bending.

[​IMG]

I will put these newly minted leaders to the test on the Vagabond when the San Diego Anglers 10 days goes to work. My goal is to catch more than 11 wahoo while bait fishing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike Lackey told me that more fish are caught using bait than bombs so that is my first choice when not trolling.

Good luck with your leaders.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    Brad I, usraptr, bparker1225 and 17 others like this.
  2. egarratt

egarratt Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eddie G
    Boat:
    None
    Thanks Mark.

3. Montaukmaniac

Montaukmaniac Thats my son, not me.

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"
    Nice clear write up, thanks!

4. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    Great dope Mark! Thanks for sharing!

5. Panchovilla

Panchovilla Pancho

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    Pancho Villa
    Mark...great write-up.....BTY, how long on your leaders??? Ron

6. pgangler

pgangler 12Wt

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    Was Cabo35, now RR3
    Extremely informative - thank you!

7. mmayo

mmayo Barking Spider

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Vagabond & Royal Star
    A superior angler named Dwayne Patenaude swears that longer is better and long to him is 18”-20”. He caught limits if wahoo each of the last three years so I elected for that length.

8. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    Slick work

9. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    great info and well said.
    Will utilize this to make my leaders...

One of these days I will actually fish a bait for wahoo , I still haven't ever in my lifetime.

But you never know....

Fishybuzz likes this.
  10. DMcD

DMcD Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dennis McDougall
    Boat:
    None
    I also had never fished bait for wahoo, until my last trip last October. I had a couple of busted ribs, and thought I was going to pass out from the pain at one point after throwing bombs and jigs during the first couple of stops. Switched over to fly-lining bait on wire leaders and killed 'em. (Note: on this particular trip, this method way out-produced bombs and jigs for some reason.) Came home with 13 hoo, lost 7 for various reasons, and handed-off 4 or 5. Had a gas, and became a firm believer. Still like throwing bombs/jigs for hoo better than bait fishing, but I'm always going to have a wired live bait rig set up from now on. Easier on the body too for old farts like me.

DMcD

dh515, vegasandre and freegaff2 like this.
  11. freegaff2

freegaff2 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Craig Simcox
    Boat:
    none
    wahoo on bait with a 25/30# outfit is a gas. You don't just grind them to the boat :D Still old school, I haywire twist my leaders, but this looks like a slick method too.

12. mmayo

mmayo Barking Spider

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Vagabond & Royal Star
    For me, the haywire went haywire too many times.

13. freegaff2

freegaff2 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Craig Simcox
    Boat:
    none
    2nd nature now, I twist 29-60# wire with no tools at all. If I was starting today, I would definitely use the crimps :D

Bill W likes this.
  14. fshrprsns

fshrprsns Newbie

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    no boat
    How much emphasis do you place on not crossing the wire inside the crimp?

15. mmayo

mmayo Barking Spider

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Vagabond & Royal Star
    I just don’t cross ever. In single strand wire, one pass forward, bend the end, squeeze the bend flat and pass back into the crimp. Three layers are in crimp. Adjust loop size. Crimp it tightly.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Jay-Hook likes this.
  16. eric harner

eric harner Caliente Tuna

Name:
    Azlandlocked
    Boat:
    RRII, PV, the Big X
    Great wright up here very clear. I bait fished for wahoo for the 1st time on a 10 day this September as they just would not hit jigs or bombs ....it was a blast on my old pro gear 545 set at about 9 lbs of drag I'm a believer now..
    :jig:

17. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Crimping those tiny crimps for wire can also be achieved quite successfully using your Sato pliers if you happen to have a pair. The smaller #1 and #0 AFW crimps are not stocked everywhere. I will begin a search. Have plenty of 40# and 60# stranded wire but quit trying with the skinnier stuff. No matter how cleanly I would cut it, I kept having trouble with it unraveling as I tried to insert it into the crimp.