OMEGA

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 17, 2007
WA
Name
MCS
Boat
40 Cabo FB
It was a bitter sweet trip to Cabo this past week. Through this very forum in 2008 I met who became one of my closest friends and mentors in Tom Lansing. From 2008 to 2016 I fished 20+ trips with Tom on his boat Extraction, a 53 Post, out of Cabo. I had the privilege of fishing the last few years of tournaments as well. Just a few weeks after booking my travel to go back to Cabo this October for tournament season my good friend had a heart attack and died upon arrival to his favorite place... Cabo. I never did anything with my tickets and just spent time mourning his loss and talking weekly with his wife and captain dealing with the new reality that was here and helping however I could. As October approached his wife was kind enough to allow myself and Tom's Captain Jaime to do one last trip just as we had done so many times before. Only difference was El Jefe was not with us but was celebrated and missed the entire time. Cabo will never be the same for me and not a day goes by that I don't reach for my phone to send him a text.

For the 5 days we fished we went 4 for 6 on Blue Marlin, 1 for 2 on Stripe Marlin, and caught 3 of 4 Yellowfin Tuna hooked that were of respectable size. Had a heartbreaking Yellowfin tuna that was lost after an hour plus long battle that had shown color several times and was estimated to be in the 180+ range. The fished chaffed itself off after a long fight. Thankfully the boys put me back on the porpoise and we got tight on another nice fish just 30 minutes later. After another hour plus long grueling fight I was able to boat and record my personal best Yellowfin Tuna. After back to back battles in 95 degree heat and high humidity I was exhausted and elated. All the tuna were caught on live bait.

Overall it was a great trip and I am sure we made him proud.

DSC_0004 (Large).JPG DSC_0007 (Large).JPG DSC_0024 (Large).JPG DSC_0063 (Large).JPG DSC_0098 (Large).JPG DSC_0118 (Large).JPG DSC_0119 (Large).JPG DSC_0131 (Large).JPG DSC_0143 (Large).JPG DSC_0145 (Large).JPG DSC_0156 (Large).JPG DSC_0176 (Large).JPG DSC_0183 (Large).JPG DSC_0195 (Large).JPG DSC_0204 (Large).JPG DSC_0211 (Large).JPG DSC_0227 (Large).JPG DSC_0238 (Large).JPG DSC_0263 (Large).JPG DSC_0284 (Large).JPG DSC_0296 (Large).JPG DSC_0303 (Large).JPG

OMEGA

Dec 17, 2007
WA
Name
MCS
Boat
40 Cabo FB
OK,, gotta ask... was he a dentist?!?

No he was not, but a few boats prior to this one when he first started fishing Cabo many years ago he had a boat partner who was in fact a dentist. After the partnership ran its course the current boat at that time stayed with him and since then he has named each boat Extraction.

dragonballs

I'm off probation
  • Mar 28, 2008
    Arlington WA
    Name
    Vance
    Boat
    40' ocean sport fisher
    wow that is sad,, you made him proud with nice fish like those. sorry to hear about it. I know you loved going down there and fishing that boat.

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    Having fun while saying goodbye to such a dear loved one is a very unique experience. You are very fortunate to have had the time together and then to be able to include this in your grieving experience. Undoubtedly, he would have done the same and was there when that big YFT swam away (perhaps having a hand in it and laughing).

I soak a bait for dad every trip.

Great report.

Waterdog~

Just one more
    Sep 1, 2009
    Hollywood
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Tiderunner

OMEGA

Dec 17, 2007
    WA
    Name
    MCS
    Boat
    40 Cabo FB
    wow that is sad,, you made him proud with nice fish like those. sorry to hear about it. I know you loved going down there and fishing that boat.

Fishing with him on his 53 Post was Nirvana for me. Not a day goes by that I don't think about him. He truly lived the dream and I was fortunate to be a part of it all for 8 years.