One fish more experienced

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by oahu seacat, Oct 26, 2012.

1. oahu seacat

oahu seacat Newbie

Name:
    kevin
    Boat:
    hinahana
    Headed outside Kaneohe Marine Base trolled the 400' ledge just outside the 3 sonobouys. After trolling 20+ times and just catching Aku's and Kawakawa'a, finally heard our Penn 80's going off. Took a double strike of Ono's. After bringing in both to the swivel, decided to Gaff the smaller one on the mono leader and let the other one on steel leader do figure eights under the boat. After gaffing, konking it on the head, and dragging it on board; started lifting the second one to gaff, just as it finished gnawing through the coffee colored stranded steel leader. Sadly stood there watching the Ono slowly swim off and my lure sinking to the bottom of the ocean. Oh well, God blessed us with one hell of an experience. No one got hurt, and we still came home with a great 38 lb Ono.
    Thank you to every one who posts on this site. I've learned lots by reading your posts and your pictures inspire us to keep on going out there and try. To any other "rookie trollers" such as myself. We were trolling at 7.2 knots. 6 poles out, 2 on downriggers just off the back of the boat, 2 on the surface, just where the prop wash was almost gone, and 2 way back about 150'. We always catch the Aku's and Kawakawa's way back on small 4" lures. Both Ono hit the middle surface lures. the one that got gnawed off was a marlin magic slant head 7". Top skirt was black on top, red strip down the middle and purple on the bottom. Under skirt was orange on top and white on the bottom. In hindsight, 6 poles were too many poles for us to handle in the excitement of the double strike. We had a ridiculous tangle of down weight lines, 4 other lures, leaders, and hooks after we got the fish on board.
    Should we have left the second fish out there with out reeling up to the boat while we concentrated on the first fish? I wouldn't have known what it was till I brought it up to the swivel I had the boat in neutral so the prop wouldn't tangle in the mess of lines. If we had another person on board we might have been able to keep the boat in gear and lines out of the prop. Any suggestions on next time?

Attached Files:

2. Irunthedeck

Irunthedeck Gilligan

Name:
    Jack
    Boat:
    Friends's boat
    We do about 10 knots when we go for ono, between 6 and 8 knots for regular trolling but we're no professionals we still learnin' but we do okay. Nice going on the ono, lure looks sweet, is that a Koya trolling head ?

3. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Good going on the ono. You took the safe approach going one at a time (good call). As long as you keep the boat idling ahead the lines shouldn't tangle or go too close to the prop. Dealing with the lines would probably be much easier if you don't use downriggers. Good going again.

Jonny

4. conor

conor Member

Name:
    Ohana o Kai
    Boat:
    20 ft. Pioneer
    nice Ono!
    Yea stay clutched in. I only like trolling as many rods as I can handle with fish, 4 seems about right with 2 guys.
    You cant troll faster than an Ono swims.

5. Morris Lures

Morris Lures Pirate

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    FORCE- Lil Toot 3
    Good going on the fat Ono. 7-8 knots is perfect.

6. grander007

grander007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    zzzz
    Boat:
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    nice going! how do you guys like the evinrude etec? heard they have a great torque curve

tight lines,

7. TexMojoII

TexMojoII Well, Shit!

Name:
    Larry
    Boat:
    Parker 2820
    Damn thats some pretty water.

8. jma1978

jma1978 Bird Catcher

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    24' Yellowfin
    Here's what I've found works best:

You can probably handle 5 lines without much trouble, but forget about the downriggers. Are they downriggers, or planers? A downrigger probably won't get you more than a couple feet under the surface at trolling speed, so hardly worth the effort.
    As for handling the lines, as long as the fish is under control, I just leave the other lines out and stay in idle forward. Works even if I'm solo. If it's a biggg fish, then I'll stay in idle forward and bring all the other lines in first. And be very sure to put the lures out of the way where they won't get tangled and I won't step on a hook. Then do whatever feels right (either stay in gear or go neutral).
    For onos, you should always stay in gear; and don't bring them onboard until they are dead. Even then, they can still do some serious damage, so be careful.
    If you have multiple fish, it's probably easiest to stay in idle forward and handle one at a time. If they are multiple big fish, then put it in neutral and hope for the best. Concentrate on getting the first one onboard; if you lose the others, don't fret too much. In fact, you can pretty much count on not getting them all in the boat. But as long as you get that first one, at least you caught one!

And remember to try different things. What works for me might not work for you...

9. TexMojoII

TexMojoII Well, Shit!

Name:
    Larry
    Boat:
    Parker 2820
    When you say downriggers are you talking about divers?

10. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Hey Kevin,
    I'm no expert, but this is what I tend to do when I go fishing solo....so you can take it for what it's worth.
    Congrats on that nice Ono! First, if it's the tunas you want to go after, the 100 fathom drop off is a good place to start. Onos tend to hang around the 40 fathom or shallower depending on the location of bait in the water. Secondly, trolling speed can vary with each boat, but in general, slower speeds for tunas (< 7 knots), faster for Onos and Marlins (>7 knots). Lastly, after hooking up with a multiply, if your fishing by your self, I would leave the boat going forward at a speed slightly slower than trolling speed (4-6 knots ) and bring in the closet fish first and leaving the farther one out til I'm ready to bring em in. In the case of Onos, sometimes they are going to come off because they either bite through the mono (you can use wire leader and have added security, I don't), or the hook will pull from the fish(ripping the jaw or mouth, or the hooked area starts getting bigger and bigger and the hooks just fall out...sometimes $hit just happens. Keeping your cool as you are clearing lines, carefully place leaders and lures with hooks away from the work area....either unhook the leaders and wind em up, wind the leaders around the reel with the lure hanging outside of the boat, or place the rods, leader and lures neatly up front away from the action as
    to avoid major tangles after the battle! Main thing is have fun, enjoy the battle and always think safety! Keep up the great job fishing!

11. Ser Sicklefin

Ser Sicklefin Newbie

Name:
    Ser Sicklefin
    Boat:
    Eastern Steed
    I like to leave the other fish out there, for onos we will barely slow down, as they usually swim straight towards the boat after their initial run. Onos don't really dig down too much at leader so should be relatively easy to boost, and they aren't much of a match for the gear most of us use, so you can get away with going a little faster (and sometimes even take another strike or two). The extra speed definitely helps keep the line tight on the second fish.

Of course, sometimes the fish just get away. Good going on your catch!!

12. oahu seacat

oahu seacat Newbie

Name:
    kevin
    Boat:
    hinahana
    they are football shaped weights that weigh a few pounds

13. oahu seacat

oahu seacat Newbie

Name:
    kevin
    Boat:
    hinahana
    it was a gift, I looked on it and don't see any type of writing on it.

14. oahu seacat

oahu seacat Newbie

Name:
    kevin
    Boat:
    hinahana
    pushes my boat nicely, tows the kids on a big 3 person tube easily. Seems comparable to how my last boat a 17' montauk with a 125 hp mercury felt. Being that this one is a planning catamaran, may be like comparing apples to oranges though.

15. oahu seacat

oahu seacat Newbie

Name:
    kevin
    Boat:
    hinahana
    when you troll at 10 knots, do you leave only straight running lures targeting Ono, or do you keep your whole spread out? I noticed that when I run at 11-12 knots, both my small 4" Aku, slant head lures, and 9" slant heads, start jumping out of the water and getting the skirts tangled on the leading hook.

16. oahu seacat

oahu seacat Newbie

Name:
    kevin
    Boat:
    hinahana
    It's inside Kaneohe bay at the sand bar. Outside the boat was rolling around too much and the Ono too slimy for my daughter to safely take pictures.

17. changboy

changboy Member

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    "PARIS C" 23 sportcraft custom
    Kevin, good going on the ono's and tuna's!
    russell had good comments and having a driver is golden if your working the back my 9 year old is my auto pilot when fighting a fish cause she knows her left from her right and knows the difference between fast and slow, loose the downriggers unless you got the crew, keep the boat in motion (best following sea) and take the closes fish first and lastly is good to keep a towel or small blanket to throw over the decked fish to keep you away from hooks and teeth. again just my .02.

Attached Files:

18. oahu seacat

oahu seacat Newbie

Name:
    kevin
    Boat:
    hinahana
    Thanks for the tips. Does your boat have auto pilot? with out actively steering the boat it goes wherever the waves push it. I tried tying a bungee to the steering wheel, poor mans auto pilot, but as the waves change the direction of the boat it still doesn't stay in a straight line. Most times that means I could end up with my lines crossing across the back of my boat or getting into the motor cover since I run stubbies. Any tips on how to control the boat's direction?

19. Da.Ching808

Da.Ching808 Newbie

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    looking one
    U have auto pilot? If it change direction if u have auto pilot on.. I think u need check something wrong. Cuz my auto pilot stay straight when wave hitting but it move off little bit then auto pilot correct to back path

20. poidog

poidog lurker

Name:
    poidog
    Boat:
    18'
    I think most double hulls will zigzag even with auto pilot, but I may be mistaken. something about the way the swells move between the hulls...