Baja Belk

Long sappy fish stories.
Sep 8, 2009
San Diego/CA/USA
Name
Mike
Boat
18.5 Striper CC - Puro Grande
My sister is back in town so I took her Aussie boyfriend down to the islands with me to look for some kingies. While we lucked out with beautiful weather after the big blow, I knew the conditions likely took a beating, which was very true. However, we lucked out and scored a very nice fish first thing in the morning trolling Rapalas tight inside the lee of North Island. He was stoked, though I told him he's not allowed to come with me again unless he gets some proper American shorts.

IMG_8416.jpg

We checked out Lighthouse but the water was even colder (57) and greener, so we moved back to the middle grounds and had a brief moment of excitement when some big mackerel popped up in front of us so I grabbed the smallest rod on board (Lexa 300) with a calico hard bait and threw it out, only to watch it get smoked by a big model yellow who came out of nowhere. Stopped his first run but got rocked on the second. Bummer. At least I got my bait back, minus a middle treble hook and a split ring.

IMG_8428.jpg

Water temp crept back up to 61 at Pukey at the end of the day, where we picked up some GIANT rockfish and headed back to the barn early.

IMG_8430.jpg

Conditions at North Island definitely better than South, for now. Looks like things are trying to recover though.

IMG_8426.jpg

Sporties all blanked on yellows that day, so I suppose that's a decent consolation prize for only catching one?

- Belk out

5E31A88E-E647-4F67-91CD-F4C8CBC4A561.JPG
IMG_8442.JPG

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    That's a sweet yellowtail. Look on the bright side about his shorts, He could of worn one of those Goofy Ass Captain Hats!!

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
    Feb 23, 2012
    la mesa, ca
    Name
    Russell
    Boat
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    :appl:

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Excellent job indeed!
    Losing that treble like that, not sure I buy that lure again, just me?

Upvote 0

Willdoggy

Willing Member
  • Jun 25, 2014
    Chula Vista
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Purr-Sea-Stance / Montauk 170
    WTG Mike on the King Fish! Looks like little Captain America will be driving the boat soon! How did he get that big, that fast?

Reactions: Baja Belk
    Upvote 0

Baja Belk

Long sappy fish stories.
    Sep 8, 2009
    San Diego/CA/USA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Excellent job indeed!
    Losing that treble like that, not sure I buy that lure again, just me?

Not necessarily. I wouldn't normally throw that lure for larger yellows. My mistake was not buttoning the drag down tighter to slow the fish down. I had it "calico firm" but not as tight as it will go. I had picked out a bird's nest earlier and there was a pulled loop in the 50# braid way down in the spool, and I was worried it would break. I guess I didn't have to worry since I thumbed the spool to break off the rocks and ended up pulling the split ring apart without breaking the line. But yes, I may want to upgrade the hooks and split rings. It's a good lure.

Upvote 0

Baja Belk

Long sappy fish stories.
    Sep 8, 2009
    San Diego/CA/USA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Nice tail!!! Thanks for the ice man!! Kept our beers and bottom dwellers nice and cold.

I think you're looking for the guys in the SeaPro? We heard you on the radio out there, but we definitely didn't give away any ice. Ended up having barely enough for our fish and beers.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    1543120_ed7d77820b85f3d2dd502ee5c84f0645.JPG

Great post and this pic is a keeper.

Upvote 0