bob12201

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 20, 2015
Laguna Beach
Name
Matt M.
Boat
I Wish
Short version: 6 ~25-30lb YFT 1 dodo all on the long soak after chunking. 3' 25lb fluro top shot with a 3/0 owner ringed circle hook was the bomb!

Hooked up with a buddy Rob and his son Blake who have a 20' Hydrasport dry docked at Dana. They had never fished offshore, and were hoping I could put them on the fish. I'm no expert, so I'm going to write this one off as beginners luck haha :D.

After reports of some good success at the 277 I decided to head out that way to try to get away from the crowds, but we didn't get anyone near there. Got a nice 1/2 scoop of perfect sized deans and sabiki'd some greenbacks and Spanish for chunk at the red buoy (I chummed with some dog food and they loved it!).

Headed out in the 277 direction, but stopped on a small patty about 8 miles off the beach we could see the parking lot about 2-3miles away but we were all alone thankfully. Fished the patty for about 15 minutes then I get hit on a dine... nice ~12lb dodo on deck. Got one more short bite, assume it was a dodo. Chunked and set out another lively sardine (we were way off the patty at this point), I hook up again but it doesn't take any drag and so I'm thinking its a small dodo or yt. Turns out to be a nice YFT with the worlds best foul hook. At this point our bait well looks like cool-aid (its an inline bait tank). So we drove around to cycle water through the tank and try to save our bait. Stopped and chunked while the bait looked good again. BAM 10min later im on again, hand it off to Blake and another YFT on the deck, and 5min later I hook another one on Rob's setup and he makes short work of that one! Seemed like they were everywhere. Had a big 7' hammerhead just chillin alongside us for 20min... he tried biting our outboard Lol!

At this point we had only 6 pieces of bait left, so we headed inshore to try to give some beach yellows their daily dose of iron. About 2 miles off the beach, straight off the tities we spot a nice patty. Slide up and drift for about 20min. We see breaking fish about 150 yards away back in the direction of the patty. Throw the rest of our chunk, and BAM im on again. ~30lb yft hits the deck. Picked up 2 more tuners, one on a completely dead sardine. Then called it a day at noon, completely out of bait. Ended up with 6 YFT 25-30lbs and 1 dodo. Awesome day on the water away from the fleet

Pics:

Blake with his first tuna!
IMG_3953.JPG

myself with a nice one
IMG_3958.JPG

Blake hooked up
IMG_3959.JPG

How?? :confused::confused::confused:
IMG_3950.JPG
IMG_3951.JPG

Chillin'
IMG_3964.JPG

The haul
IMG_3975.JPG

Ryan_J

Apr 5, 2013
Long Beach, CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
Jupiter 31 - twin Yamaha F300's
Great report and pictures! Way to put your buddies on the fish away from the fleet. Good work!

errock_22

It wont happen if you don’t go
Apr 6, 2008
Ventura / SB
Name
Eric B.
Boat
F/V El Tiburon - 25’ Custom Anderson
Thanks for the report. Crazy, we had the exact same foul hook last week! If you look at the line marks, I think the hook pulls, slides down the fish and grabs. Makes for a weird fight.

image.jpg

Reactions: elsinore36

bob12201

May 20, 2015
Laguna Beach
Name
Matt M.
Boat
I Wish
Thanks for the report. Crazy, we had the exact same foul hook last week! If you look at the line marks, I think the hook pulls, slides down the fish and grabs. Makes for a weird fight.

View attachment 611716
Yea no clue how thats possible, crazy how you can see where the hook slid down. I'm just glad we got it in haha.

Raimond

Not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine...
Mar 9, 2014
SoCal
Name
Ray
Boat
23' IMP Hardtop - "4 Reel"
Yea no clue how thats possible, crazy how you can see where the hook slid down. I'm just glad we got it in haha.
Difficult to see how a circle hook did this without other factors coming into play.
How does a hook pull loose from the mouth and penetrate the skin in the opposite direction?

This fish was hooked for awhile looking at the chafe marks all along the gill plate & side under the fin. He fought hard to free himself! The marks could lead me to believe it was on braided line first. Then there are vertical line marks above the hook shown, logical for the hook location, he was still trying to get away.

1. This hook entered the fish from the back moving forward. Most likely a pre-existing wound based on the sharp line on the aft side, or entry point of the wound. (Fish would have to swim backwards to tear the wound from back to front). Something sharp like a prop or gaff attempt is the probable cause of the wound.
2. The line marks in front of and behind the foul hook are located lower than the hook location and at 45* from front to aft, bottom to top.

The marks lead me to this conclusion. This fish was wrapped with a fishing line during the fight prior to the circle hook shown finding a spot to enter. (wrapped lines could cause this) What happened to the first hook? It could have been a J hook that was deep and the tuna finally wore through the line. The world will never know for sure.

I would rather be Lucky than good....

Last edited:

bob12201

May 20, 2015
Laguna Beach
Name
Matt M.
Boat
I Wish
Difficult to see how a circle hook did this without other factors coming into play.
How does a hook pull loose from the mouth and penetrate the skin in the opposite direction?

This fish was hooked for awhile looking at the chafe marks all along the gill plate & side under the fin. He fought hard to free himself! The marks could lead me to believe it was on braided line first. Then there are vertical line marks above the hook shown, logical for the hook location, he was still trying to get away.

1. This hook entered the fish from the back moving forward. Most likely a pre-existing wound based on the sharp line on the aft side, or entry point of the wound. (Fish would have to swim backwards to tear the wound from back to front). Something sharp like a prop or gaff attempt is the probable cause of the wound.
2. The line marks in front of and behind the foul hook are located lower than the hook location and at 45* from front to aft, bottom to top.

The marks lead me to this conclusion. This fish was wrapped with a fishing line during the fight prior to the circle hook shown finding a spot to enter. (wrapped lines could cause this) What happened to the first hook? It could have been a J hook that was deep and the tuna finally wore through the line. The world will never know for sure.

I would rather be Lucky than good....
Hahahaha this is some CSI shit. Well noted detective :D... I guess well never know for sure. I just had the rod on the holder and was scrubbing so the fish could have been running with it for awhile before I noticed and put it in gear. Crazy to say the least, I almost wish he was alive so I could interview him.

Reactions: 909MARIO

Raimond

Not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine...
Mar 9, 2014
SoCal
Name
Ray
Boat
23' IMP Hardtop - "4 Reel"
Hahahaha this is some CSI shit. Well noted detective :D... I guess well never know for sure. I just had the rod on the holder and was scrubbing so the fish could have been running with it for awhile before I noticed and put it in gear. Crazy to say the least, I almost wish he was alive so I could interview him.

This is based on aircraft crash investigation experience in the Marine Corps. Glad it was a fish this time!

Reactions: mrtonx and 909MARIO

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
Apr 5, 2006
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
Lucky that hook didn't pull. Same thing happened to my son's YFT a couple weeks ago. Spit the hook, then re-hooked mid-body same location. Tastes the same -- Good job!

Reactions: bob12201

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
Thoes tuna are hard to land when they are side banged like that!

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
Nice!!!

vinhtran

Jul 31, 2012
Menifee
Name
Vinh
Boat
none
I've belly hooked around a 25lber before on a flat fall on the way up, and I'm not going to lie, it was definitely a weird fight. I would say that it would feel extremely big one second, then I thought it broke off right after. Congrats!

GoGo

Apr 24, 2005
Oceanside
Name
Tom
Boat
Parker
Gotta love the old school Penn reel! Thats how you get it done. Good job guys.

Jan 27, 2016
Boston MA/San Diego CA
Name
Ben
Boat
Malihini

View attachment 611716
That has happened to me before with a 20# bluefin this year.. hooked popped out and snagged him in the dorsal and got him on the gaff! awesome fish