On the water short report. Brandon Miller’s 11 day independence.

Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat Name
Long range fishing
Well almost another trip in the books. We got a early departure the day after thanksgiving. Everyone was ready to head south for a 11 day fishing adventure. Talking inline with some of the fellow angles on the trip and seeing what big fish were reported on the lower banks that’s where everyone was wanting to head to. Well the first stop was to mop up a bunch of wahoo then turn the boat towards the ridge. We were ahead of all the other boats so this game plan the captain called was a perfect setup. We got on school size tuna and everyone got there kinks out as far as following your line and working out tangles. It wasn’t bad and everyone got there fare share of tuna in the 20-50 class. Ok we gather in the galley and the captain said we’re going to the lower banks. It’s game time. Double check every connection with a crew member because you might only get one shot at a big fish. We get there and located the big fish and stared going to work on these giants. I don’t know how many cows we’re caught but my guess is right around 7 the first day and 1 super cow around 315. Next day it shut down but we were rewarded with 1 cow and a few mid 100’s and all the tuna you wanted in the 40-80 pound range. Fly lining a 100 fluro top shot with a small hook-3/0 or 4/0 with a sardine was the ticket. The bigger bait know as green backs got bit many once or twice and we’re working on the kites. The group was a real treat to share the rail with and many first timers getting a cow. Now that’s what I call super fun to watch. They all did a great job and we’re rewarded with mid to upper 200’s hitting the deck. Congrats are in order for the first timers. Another note a big thanks to Brandon Miller for putting this great charter tougher. On another note everyone on the boat caught at least one wahoo with many getting a few. Big thanks to the independence captain and crew.

woodfish330

I'm to smart to figure out how to edit this.
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Fishead
    That my Brother SODA.... was a great report. Thanks for thinking if BD and "Chiming In" early!! Laughing....about the "Race" to depart... on Thanksgiving.... who's ready first? It can stack up at the bait receiver as well. So I'm with your group.... be ready early..... and bail... before the others know what happened....lol.

You know this time of year ... here's, is a little bit slow... so appreciate the update... for sure. Be safe out there.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat Name
    Long range fishing
    Where's the pictures of the food? you know the rules.

503A94AB-4917-48E3-B4F1-4CB3398A22F2.jpeg

Upvote 0

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
    Dec 1, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat Name
    N/A :(
    What the chartermaster gives up in regards to stature he makes up for by catching a 280 on 80#

A869DB53-EE81-47A9-B564-BC124D5A7689.jpeg

16B63EE0-E947-4C50-98B4-F9E71D767AD7.jpeg

Scold
    Scold
    @2Rotten Eric and I are close to the same size. He slept at my house on the way down to SD and my dogs were confused as they thought I cloned myself.
    Upvote 0
    2Rotten
    2Rotten
    To be fair, many of us look kinda small next to Eric White, one of my Oregon fishing buddies 8-)

Maverick

Almost A Member
    May 30, 2003
    Lake Forest
    Name
    Bart Hyter
    Boat Name
    25' Skipjack
    Great sharing the rail with you Soda. The three biggest fish were 341, 288 and 281. Soda is a character always saying or wearing a funny hat to make us all laugh.

Reactions: Soda Pop
    Upvote 0