Soda Pop

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
It’s been a bumpy couple of days heading up the line. We are passing time watching movies and taking naps. We will be in San Diego tomorrow. As far as what time it all depends on how good of speed we make. As of yesterday the captain gave his daily briefing after dinner. He said it looks like 7am but that could change. It could be later. He didn’t anticipate the weather or he said we would have left early down below. It will smooth out sometime today. Today I will pack my duffel bags and get everything in order to offload when we get In tomorrow. This has been a fun filled trip. Can’t wait till next year. I will go home to my wife unpack and wash all my gear down and do my laundry. April I will be doing an 18 day on the Royal Polaris. I will be out on the fishing grounds Once again before Long.

hagridfish

Oct 21, 2008
Aurora Colorado
Name
Kevin
Boat
None
Thanks so much David. As always, your reports are excellent! I do look forward to seeing you again sometime soon. Enjoy the trip on the RP. Later my friend...………….. :-)

Reactions: Soda Pop

JohnTFT

Insomniac
Feb 11, 2007
The "718"
Name
John
Boat
A big Steel One
It was a great trip.

Cows were hard to come by. 60-125 grade fish was the most prevalent size.

We never got a good chunk line going. I felt if we did we could have landed some larger grade fish. I caught one on a chunk that went 140.

Wahoo is bycatch on a trip called the cow hunt, and wont comment on a fish that takes away from my tuna fishing time.

Captains patience was the key. Fleck never made a wrong move in his strategic anchoring of the Excel. At one point he moved 50' to be on better bottom. The move had maximum impact on the current which greatly improved fishing.

Moves to deeper water to limit shark interactions was another strategic move. Allowed us to fish for YFT and not other unwanted species.

Crew was the Excel A-Team - Mike, Renee, Luke, Timmy, Vance, Jake, Nick

Team Hoo doesnt disappoint. If you want to fish with a group of hard fisherman and like to have a good time Team Hoo is it.

Special Recognition to Soda Pop - the most generous man in Long Range.

There were a bunch of first timers on the boat and Soda was there with, information, gear loaning and lots of hand offs. A stand up guy who has a great time.

Russ Scholl

Apr 1, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Name
Russ Scholl
Boat
Kayaks
It was a great trip.

Cows were hard to come by. 60-125 grade fish was the most prevalent size.

We never got a good chunk line going. I felt if we did we could have landed some larger grade fish. I caught one on a chunk that went 140.

Wahoo is bycatch on a trip called the cow hunt, and wont comment on a fish that takes away from my tuna fishing time.

Captains patience was the key. Fleck never made a wrong move in his strategic anchoring of the Excel. At one point he moved 50' to be on better bottom. The move had maximum impact on the current which greatly improved fishing.

Moves to deeper water to limit shark interactions was another strategic move. Allowed us to fish for YFT and not other unwanted species.

Crew was the Excel A-Team - Mike, Renee, Luke, Timmy, Vance, Jake, Nick

Team Hoo doesnt disappoint. If you want to fish with a group of hard fisherman and like to have a good time Team Hoo is it.

Special Recognition to Soda Pop - the most generous man in Long Range.

There were a bunch of first timers on the boat and Soda was there with, information, gear loaning and lots of hand offs. A stand up guy who has a great time.
I had such a great time on this trip. The very best part was enjoying the company of my fellow fishermen and fisherwoman !

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Sometimes we doubt the "impact" we have on each other's lives. How can a few interactions as individuals or a group have such lasting implications. To help.... to give of yourself.... to give of your time, to share what YOU'VE learned.... and what you bought ... selflessly. These things....and human willingness are some of the greatest unspoken gifts we can share with one another. No one tells you...."You must give now". It's that propensity to be a better human..... that sneaks up... and makes you reach out to those who are in need of your guidance....your gift.... your words.... your patience and understanding.

Some people step up. Some resist. Some do nothing. SODA....thanks for seeing / feeling the moment was right... and stepping up. Helping those who needed guidance....confidence....or just a shoulder to cry on for a moment. I truly believe.....that the long range fraternity needs more people like you brother. It's THAT kindness and selflessness that helps grow our love for fishing into a life long hobbie....that we too will share with others. :notworthy

canyonman

Dec 2, 2005
brooklyn
Name
joe
Boat
Independence
Sounds like a good trip John. I’m glad you guys found that grade of fish. I was sure it was only a matter of time. The Indy left a day or so before you guys rolled in and they had stellar fishing. We didn’t see that grade in December. Pretty much go big or go home for us. Looks good for future trips

Reactions: JohnTFT

ifish42na

No Bad Days
Oct 23, 2004
Harrington Park, NJ
www.bhptackle.com
Name
Basil
Boat
Friends With Boats
Happy for all on this trip. I did a couple of Team Hoo trips on the XL, always had an awesome time and learned a lot from these guys. Then today I was reminded one year our Trophy/BHP flydown charter left the day after Team Hoo got in, we left the sound system in place and 6 of us or so plus the crew sailed down the Baja Coast, relaxing and just getting some tackle ready, waiting to get to Cabo and pick everyone up. But on that glorious Super Bowl Sunday morning, Jason treated us to a full blown tailgate party with all the fixings, pool bets and big screen HD action while the Baja coast melted by. A great time with the crew. We even had some nice video if you want to see.

Last edited:

Spear or rod

Aug 31, 2008
San Francisco
Name
Tommy T
Boat
Anything that floats
The PL68 ....removed the treble. Slid a 9" octopus style skirt half way up the lure body until it stretched without tearing. Tied it on with floss. Replaced stock treble with 8/0 7691 Mustad hook. Got it? Never tried a "sluggo" tail....
Would really like to see a pic of this rig if you ever get bored enough to dig one out & take a pic. Thx for awesome idea.