canyonman

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 2, 2005
brooklyn
Name
joe
Boat
Independence
No need to curse dude. This was a fishing post about hurricane that got thread jacked. I am posting a relevant fishing report. If you feel the need to be a keyboard tough guy you can PM me and we can discuss it like adults.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
No need to curse dude. This was a fishing post about hurricane that got thread jacked. I am posting a relevant fishing report. If you feel the need to be a keyboard tough guy you can PM me and we can discuss it like adults.
Thanks for the news. I’m pretty sure that yellow fish guy was joking.

Nothing over 130 lbs from the report on the just returned 14 day on the Angler, in fact 2nd and 3rd JP fish were under 100 lbs. But, apparently they had limits of fun.

Reactions: Statistico

yellowfish26

Totally Nude 24/7
Aug 21, 2008
Chula Vista/Ca/USA
Name
Jeff
Boat
26ft Seaswirl. The Big Chorizo
Star
Original thread was about a new trip on the Excel, not the Indy. Start a new fucking thread. But yeah I was kidding. Lighten up francis

canyonman

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 2, 2005
brooklyn
Name
joe
Boat
Independence
haven't heard any numbers but good fishing. I think they had 2 cows but im not sure. This was completely opposite from when we were there in December. The bank was infested with skipjack. Small numbers of that 80 to 130 grade but some really nice cows.

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
God dammit motherfucking piss shitter pussyfied asshole...Quit cussing, right the fuck now!........Ap

Soda Pop

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
update. Fishing has went from really bad to very good. Current changed and the fish wanted to play big time. What we’re missing is the big cows. John got the only cow so far in the trip. We still have a few more days. Fishing for the 60-100 lb class are not a problem as most all anglers in the trip have a few nice fish. As far as the wahoo go it’s been just ok at best. A few each day. Weather is great if you like hot with just a breeze. Sardines with about a 4 ounce weight at 150-200 feet seems to be the key however flying can be productive at times.

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Thanks for keeping us "in the loop" Soda! With things changing a little day to day... and more days left..... keep putting your time in at the rail brother. It's gonna happen! Got faith in you.

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Well today it slowed down a bit. Some more wahoo came over the rail while tuna fishing and the tuna were in the 40-140 lb range. Everyone is having a great time on the Excel. If my memory is correct not everyone was lucky to get a tuna over the rail. We had some unwanted Company. Yes the sharks were a bit of a problem today. weather remains nice and hot with very little wind.

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Thanks SODA. For the "grinners" there... don't forget sometimes it's necessary, when they're on pursuit of easy dinner to back off the drag. This allows your fish a little leeway to escape close encounters of the "toothy" kind! Don't want to saw anybody off....but have saved a few from certain death with that technique. You know what to do...lol. Today's the day! Good luck brother! Be safe out there!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill W and Soda Pop

No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
Is this some kind of Foodie forum? I thought that this was a LR fishing forum..
I know Food is high on your list by all your previous posts but is the type of food really that urgent on A fishing trip?
As long as everyone gets fed, fishes hard and has a good time, who really cares about the food.

Soda- thanks for the report and have an awesome trip. Hope that you guys have some internet down at HB for some reports. Tpyically the Excel has better Internet for whatever reason.
There is nothing worst than having to eat unhealthy food on a long range trip. One is standing for long hours and hopefully fighting lots of fish. Good diet is essential for one's stamina.

Reactions: raw66

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
News flash. Tuna fishing from 8-1 was really good. Again most of the fish are in the 60-80 lb range but today were seeing more better grade tuna coming over the rail in the 100-130 range. Fly lining a sardine. The kite is good today as well. The boat caught several nice size tuna up to 160. As far as wahoo only 2 so far. One standout hoo at 50lbs while fishing for tuna. Always a nice surprise landing a wahoo on 100 lb fluro. It’s 2PM and there no current. A much needed rest till it picks up again. Stay tuned to see how we do for the day on the Excel. Reporting from the Pacific Ocean some 1,000 miles from San Diego.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Thanks, Soda POP!

Reactions: Soda Pop

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Regardless of your "handle" SODA POP, it may be "beer thirty" brother....lol. Thanks for the update. From a thousand miles away....I'm predicting a nice kite fish for you brother. You'll be rewarded for your time. Hammer down!

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Today on the Excel we finished with a bang. Once the current came back fishing was good. Tuna were caught on the chunk- flying a bait and the kite was productive. We’re going to eat dinner and everyone is whipped so most everyone will get a much needed rest tonight.

bbuck

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 20, 2005
On the Water
Name
Buck
Boat
sunk
Thanks for keeping us "in the loop" Soda! With things changing a little day to day... and more days left..... keep putting your time in at the rail brother. It's gonna happen! Got faith in you.
Going out on the next trip so appreciate these update. Can you tell us what the bait is like.
Today on the Excel we finished with a bang. Once the current came back fishing was good. Tuna were caught on the chunk- flying a bait and the kite was productive. We’re going to eat dinner and everyone is whipped so most everyone will get a much needed rest tonight.
thanks for the report Soda, are the sardines big, medium, small? I’m on the next trip.

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Going out on the next trip so appreciate these update. Can you tell us what the bait is like.

thanks for the report Soda, are the sardines big, medium, small? I’m on the next trip.
Sardines are big to medium. Excellent bait. I am using a 4/0 and a 5/0 with no problem. Owner super mutu. If you get the bait we got you will be a very happy camper

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
How's my buddy Russ doing? Getting in the game or still lonely on the bow throwing poppers?
View attachment 1107939
He is on the bow tossing jigs by himself. He scored 4 nice wahoo. Great guy to have on the trip. He loves his spinning reels and he knows how to use them.

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
News alert. Fishing was just a tad bit slower today however the grade of tuna were bigger. Tuna from 80-140 with most of the tuna in the 100 lb mark. Again fishing a sinker in the 2-6 ounce workout the best. Fly lining a sardine didn’t pay off today as much as the small sinker fishing did. Everyday is different out here at the bank.

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Today fishing is red hot. Getting close to 50 fish and we’re still fishing. Maybe not the cows we all would like to have but you take what we are given. Most the fish are in the 80LB class with a few standout fish up to 177. Small sinker with a 2-4 ounce was working great today. I hooked 6 tuna today and handed off four of them and landed two myself. This group is really fun to fish with and we all make sure everyone is taken care of. Lots of handoffs today to people who couldn’t get bit. It always amazes me when you hand off a fish the next time they go in the water they now are getting bit. There self confidence rises to a hole new level. Then they start handing off fish. It’s teamwork here on the BIG X. the crew has been nothing but amazing. We’re going to finish up here tomorrow as we need to start heading up the line.

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Time to break out the glow jigs and fish all night, got 4 days to catch up on beauty sleep Hope you hang a mutant!