richardblufin

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 23, 2009
POWAY CA
Name
Richard Jones
Boat
Bigger is Better Thats what she said
I noticed the food quality has fallen drastically in the last 2years. The chef and the server Nick need training on waiting on tables and being friendly. They never really asked, "how is the food"? In a service business which this is. They need to step it up in the Galley. The deck personnel where fine. It seems since Big Al left the boat the food has been going downhill. I won't be riding the Excel until I hear changes in the galley. And Capt Justin could use a class on being more friendly to his customers. Capt Justin is a good fisherman, but there is much more to being a good businessman.

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Update. Just finished a killer bacon burger with tatter tots. Man is was yummy. We had our tuna seminar today going over the different ways to catch tuna the PL-68 for night fishing along with fishing a sinker jig. Also went over how to fly lining a sardine and how the kite works. Now everyone is relaxing and some are taking a much needed nap after the great food the Excel has been putting out. Chef Jake is taking care of us and doing a wonderful job. More reporting as we steam south on the beautiful Excel. Destination hurricane bank. Sunday around 9AM.

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
If you have issues with the boat, crew, food etc take it up with the Captain when you settle out, not on a keyboard. If you get off the boat without addressing it you lose all credibility as far as I’m concerned.

Food has never been one of the top 3 reasons I choose a boat to spend my money on

Last edited:

bbuck

Dec 20, 2005
On the Water
Name
Buck
Boat
sunk
Been fishing the Excel since 1995 and have fished all the others too. All things considered, for me the Excel is an easy choice. That having been said, the food has slipped in recent years. That's not a shot at the cooks as they must stay within the food budget.

swordswizzle

Humble sort
Dec 12, 2007
Monterey, ca
Name
chuck
Boat
SD Long Range Fleet
Dang that fresh tuna and eggs was good for breakfast!!!
That mid morning fresh tuna soup was outstanding!!!
The fresh tuna salad sandwiches for lunch were to die for!!!
The fresh maguro sashimi for afternoon snack was killer!!!
But the best of all was the fresh seared ahi for dinner!!!

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
The food sucks on the Excel. The food did not used to suck on the Excel. The cook is a lazy cook...He was trained at 'We Be Slouches'..
Go flame yourselves frigging berserkers...Fuck em all in the left ventricle Soda..........................:oops: ........Ap

hilltop

lurking in the shallows
Jan 1, 2010
sb 805
Name
hilltop
Boat
sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
Good Luck Soda, may there be some BIG tails up for all!

Reactions: Soda Pop

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Soda.....tides and current look good for AM arrival at Hurricane. Not perfect...... and the moons waining. Late moonrise Skinnys gonna eat that metal full speed. Look for tuna in the afternoon. PL68. .. on one.trip in the day.....added (slid) a 9" rubber skirt to make it look squid like. Went to the bow at twilight. ...they asked if I was.gonna.rockfish....lol. 10 minutes later.....first of 3 fish all over 100. I had 3 other PL68's.....The only "rock cod" jigs on the boat. Needless to say.....I shared. So.....burn .... yoyo..... drop....fluttering. You know. Mix it.up.....but remember what it looks like.....squid. I Got bit on the re-drop from half way up.... consistently. Watch for the tick.....line stop. Put the hammer down.... and crank it brother. Sharing what worked over and.over. Oh.....I might get rid of that stock treble hook....8/0 7691 works wonders. Saw 2 guys lose bigger fish....due to weak "rockfish" treble hooks. Kick butt brother. We're waiting with baited breath... lol. :jig:

Last edited:

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Soda Pop. Hope you have a great trip and say hi to all the regulars for us. Is this the Petrescu monster tuna trip?
Team hoo 10th year. Great bunch of guys.
Soda.....tides and current look good for AM arrival at Hurricane. Not perfect...... and the moons waining. Late moonrise Skinnys gonna eat that metal full speed. Look for tuna in the afternoon. PL68. .. on one.trip in the day.....added (slid) a 9" rubber skirt to make it look squid like. Went to the bow at twilight. ...they asked if I was.gonna.rockfish....lol. 10 minutes later.....first of 3 fish all over 100. I had 3 other PL68's.....The only "rock cod" jigs on the boat. Needless to say.....I shared. So.....burn .... yoyo..... drop....fluttering. You know. Mix it.up.....but remember what it looks like.....squid. I Got bit on the re-drop from half way up.... consistently. Watch for the tick.....line stop. Put the hammer down.... and crank it brother. Sharing what worked over and.over. Oh.....I might get rid of that stock treble hook....8/0 7691 works wonders. Saw 2 guys lose bigger fish....due to weak "rockfish" treble hooks. Kick butt brother. We're waiting with baited breath... lol. :jig:
Thanks brother for the information. Hammer down. Got it. Ft

Reactions: woodfish330

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
the afternoon. PL68. .. on one.trip in the day.....added (slid) a 9" rubber skirt to make it look squid like. Went to the bow at twilight. ...they asked if I was.gonna.rockfish....lol. 10 minutes later.....first of 3 fish all over 100. I had 3 other PL68's.....The only "rock cod" jigs on the boat
Just to clarify. You pinned on a "Sluggo" type rubber skirt onto your PL 68 in the afternoon, or twilight, dropped it down slowly, and if you didn't get a bite, slowly retrieved it to mimic a squid?

raw66

Jan 23, 2014
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Gary M
Boat
USS Howard W Gilmore AS-16 Sub Pac6

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: reellady

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Epic you are stoked. Good luck to everyone involved. So wish I was there. One of the fishiest boats

The intrepid has the highest food budget (it's not a secret). They kinda have too. Enjoy the food

Last edited:

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I did ask and made my concerns known on the boat as fas as drinking a big cup of shut the fuck up, not gonna happen. What’s the point of these forums? Go fuck yourself Steve and all the chumps who liked your post.
Your butthurt is showing.You complained about no yogurt cups and fruit,what did you expect ?

etwizard

Mar 29, 2004
No California
Name
solomon
Boat
Free 4 All
Why you shitting on someone's post because you don't like the food? Go on the boat that fits your tastebuds. Not everyone is as rich as you and have the option to select a boat based on food selection. We go to fish, if the fish aren't biting, then maybe we'll eat, but food isn't the first thing on our minds when we go fishing.
Food is the boredom killer, and there is lots of time on these trips to want to eat because there is very little left to do....just saying.

TrophyAnchovy

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 9, 2017
Orange County
Name
James
Boat
None
This thread is so entertaining!

Socks with sandals and cake!!!! I want yogurt and berries!

Now I want a picture of a unicorn....someone at the rail wearing socks with sandals with a cupcake shoved in their mouth!

😜

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
The PL68 ....removed the treble. Slid a 9" octopus style skirt half way up the lure body until it stretched without tearing. Tied it on with floss. Replaced stock treble with 8/0 7691 Mustad hook. Got it? Never tried a "sluggo" tail....

As for time....I focused on "twilight" both morning and evenings.... for a couple of reasons. The tunas eyesight (rods and cones) goes through considerable changes during these times of great light change. It's a physical characteristic that makes them more vulnerable to the jig presentation at those times. (Kite as well)

Those whom have fished with me before... know this is my ritual.... daily. Twilight.....for about an hour.... always. Have had a great deal of luck using this at Hurricane. ...All the RG. Islands...All of the inner banks. Needless to say, I missed a few dinners.....lol. BUT to the dismay of a few cooks.... I've also emptied a few galleys during dinner... lol. A "fattie" hitting the deck during dinner requires some pandemonium.

Science....and fishing. Should you follow this advice... your results will speak for themselves. That "sluggo" might work too.....throw it in the water brother....let us know. Hoping SODA....your on them right now! Kick.some.butt brother... I've got faith in you. By the way....be safe out there.

Last edited: