Soda Pop

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
On the Excel 16 day trip right now. We departed San Diego on Wednesday morning. First stop was loading 700 scoops of bait. Spent 2 + hours loading bait for our 16 day trip. We skipped the rocks due to cold water and not much going on. We our now heading to hurricane bank. We’re looking at arriving Sunday morning. Great seas on the ride down south but a bit nippy outside. Jeans and a t-shirt with a windbreaker kind of weather. As the days roll by the temperature will get much hotter so the cooler weather is welcomed on board the Excel. Yesterday we had a wahoo seminar and today we will have a tuna seminar. Great group of guys and a very relaxing atmosphere. The charter master had a raffle yesterday with lots of people winning avet reels. I was one of the lucky winners so I had the crew put on 65 LB. specta and w 50 LB. top shot. It’s ready with a JRI green bomb to try out. I will try to keep everybody informed but as we steam our way south the internet may not work. For now it’s breakfast on the BIG X. stay tuned.

Caseymcv

Old man
Feb 6, 2017
Wildomar
Name
Casey
Boat
In my dreams
On the Excel 16 day trip right now. We departed San Diego on Wednesday morning. First stop was loading 700 scoops of bait. Spent 2 + hours loading bait for our 16 day trip. We skipped the rocks due to cold water and not much going on. We our now heading to hurricane bank. We’re looking at arriving Sunday morning. Great seas on the ride down south but a bit nippy outside. Jeans and a t-shirt with a windbreaker kind of weather. As the days roll by the temperature will get much hotter so the cooler weather is welcomed on board the Excel. Yesterday we had a wahoo seminar and today we will have a tuna seminar. Great group of guys and a very relaxing atmosphere. The charter master had a raffle yesterday with lots of people winning avet reels. I was one of the lucky winners so I had the crew put on 65 LB. specta and w 50 LB. top shot. It’s ready with a JRI green bomb to try out. I will try to keep everybody informed but as we steam our way south the internet may not work. For now it’s breakfast on the BIG X. stay tuned.

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
Hope you guys get fed less cake and cookies in the mornings than our group was. Beware of the onion dip on day 6. These guys need to up their food came on a par with the Intrepid despite all their loyalists. Where are the berries and yogurt cups In the mornings? Did away completely with the oil and vinegar bottles and good luck finding capers with the salmon and cream cheese snack omissions that were commonplace in years gone buy, casually forgotten. Rode over 3 months of long trips combined with these guys in The last five years to qualify me to make this observation and comparision.
Spending over 7 k for a trip of this nature and stature should raise their food budget bar. Banking on dumbed down customers on their 1st trip with a platter of cake for a morning snack doesn’t get it And will not be a future customer.

As Justin use to say on every trip, we know you guys have lots of options on what boats to ride and how you spend your vacation dollars and thank you for choosing us, was omitted in his welcome safety briefing. Wonder why when he is so articulate in all other regards?
Is this some kind of Foodie forum? I thought that this was a LR fishing forum..
I know Food is high on your list by all your previous posts but is the type of food really that urgent on A fishing trip?
As long as everyone gets fed, fishes hard and has a good time, who really cares about the food.

Soda- thanks for the report and have an awesome trip. Hope that you guys have some internet down at HB for some reports. Tpyically the Excel has better Internet for whatever reason.

lazyfisherman

Nov 28, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Bobby
Boat
Cattle Boats
I have been very fortunate to ride the following dive boats and fishing boats in the last two years and recognize what money will buy you.
Red Sea Aggressor
Okeanos Aggressor
Raja Ampat Aggressor
Maldives Aggressor
Indo Aggressor
Rock Island Aggressor
Thailand Aggressor
Royal Star
Intrepid
Nautilus Explorer

My food observations are based on my experience with the above boats some of which I have done several trips with because of the outstanding service.
Why you shitting on someone's post because you don't like the food? Go on the boat that fits your tastebuds. Not everyone is as rich as you and have the option to select a boat based on food selection. We go to fish, if the fish aren't biting, then maybe we'll eat, but food isn't the first thing on our minds when we go fishing.

SD Bass Assassin

Formally gurnman
Aug 30, 2009
lakeside
Name
Bill
Boat
Champion 200
Soda, I’m looking forward to your on the water reports. No doubt you’re going to eat well on the Excel. Keep the reports coming.

Reactions: Soda Pop

canyonman

Dec 2, 2005
brooklyn
Name
joe
Boat
Independence
Enjoy soda. I’ve heard nothing but good things about the excel. I’m sure the food is as it always has been. Awesome. Take pics and protect your neck.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Soda Pop. Hope you have a great trip and say hi to all the regulars for us. Is this the Petrescu monster tuna trip?

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
Thank you for the editing, guys. 👍

richardblufin

Jun 23, 2009
POWAY CA
Name
Richard Jones
Boat
Bigger is Better Thats what she said
I noticed the food quality has fallen drastically in the last 2years. The chef and the server Nick need training on waiting on tables and being friendly. They never really asked, "how is the food"? In a service business which this is. They need to step it up in the Galley. The deck personnel where fine. It seems since Big Al left the boat the food has been going downhill. I won't be riding the Excel until I hear changes in the galley. And Capt Justin could use a class on being more friendly to his customers. Capt Justin is a good fisherman, but there is much more to being a good businessman.

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Update. Just finished a killer bacon burger with tatter tots. Man is was yummy. We had our tuna seminar today going over the different ways to catch tuna the PL-68 for night fishing along with fishing a sinker jig. Also went over how to fly lining a sardine and how the kite works. Now everyone is relaxing and some are taking a much needed nap after the great food the Excel has been putting out. Chef Jake is taking care of us and doing a wonderful job. More reporting as we steam south on the beautiful Excel. Destination hurricane bank. Sunday around 9AM.

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
If you have issues with the boat, crew, food etc take it up with the Captain when you settle out, not on a keyboard. If you get off the boat without addressing it you lose all credibility as far as I’m concerned.

Food has never been one of the top 3 reasons I choose a boat to spend my money on

Last edited: