OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
  • Dec 13, 2003
    San Marcos
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Grady White 208
    We're about 8 miles off the domes right now and I am tired of throwing iron and bait right into the middle of jumping bluefin. I hate these things. Best spot was 33 14 / 117 45. Big fish stayed up for about 10 minutes. I literally hit them a couple time with my surface iron. Just pulling up to a paddy now. First paddy we've seen all day. Still looking to get the skunk off.

Upvote 0
    Jan 10, 2007
    Bakersfield
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    2901 Striper
    At least you're on the water. I'm in a supercuts in Bakersfield. I'm waiting for my boat to get out of the shop in mdr so I can join you all in the best, frustrating, bad ass year in awhile. Have fun while we can. Good luck today!

Reactions: OnoEric
    Upvote 0

Frank Owen

Aug 1, 2014
    Name
    Frank Owen
    Boat
    Lucky Buck
    Went out yesterday, pulled 3 yellows off of paddies just North of Oceanside, about 2 miles out... right in front of Camp Penelton. One yellow weighed 32 pounds, one was 25, one was a rat. Not much luck further out at the 209.
    Chased diving terns and boiling tuna...not ready to bite. Best of luck.

Upvote 0

OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
  • Dec 13, 2003
    San Marcos
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Grady White 208
    Ok, ok, y'all have convinced me. In the grand scheme of things, chucking iron off the heads of bluefin that won't bite isn't all that bad.

That paddy was dry. Now just chasing terns above the ponies. But we are into green water here. Need to go find the blue stuff again.

Upvote 0

invictus

AVD
    May 26, 2006
    Orange County
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    Last Wednesday, down south, never seen that much Tuna in my life and not even a glance at what we threw.

Excellent report, weather looks good.

Upvote 0

OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
  • Dec 13, 2003
    San Marcos
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Grady White 208
    Weather is great. A bit of a coastal eddy. Wind out of the southeast at about 5 knots. Really nice out here.

Lots of meter marks down at 200 feet over large areas. We're about 7.7 miles out of Dana now and in no mans land. The green water extends 8-9 miles out.

Upvote 0

OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
  • Dec 13, 2003
    San Marcos
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Grady White 208
    Has anyone dropped bait or jig down to those depths? I know it's deep but......
    Just wondering????

Yep. All day long. Yo-yo jigs and We put a torpedo sinker on a live sardine to get it down too. One of those days for us...

Upvote 0

badgerbacker

Jun 30, 2009
    Silverado, CA
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Whaler, Hobie, Kaboat
    Ok, ok, y'all have convinced me. In the grand scheme of things, chucking iron off the heads of bluefin that won't bite isn't all that bad.

That paddy was dry. Now just chasing terns above the ponies. But we are into green water here. Need to go find the blue stuff again.

Sometimes the BFT are less picky in the green water.

Upvote 0

Unforgiven1

It's All About The Tuna
    Advertiser
    Apr 7, 2004
    Redondo Beach, California
    Name
    Drew
    Boat
    UnforgiveN- Blackfin 29' FB Volvo Kamd 300's
    Upvote 0

lamnidae

Aug 25, 2008
    Escondido
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    anything I can fish from
    I figured that you guys did. Those Bluefin definitely give a small window of time for anglers to not only figure out what they are interested in, but to get one to bite.

Upvote 0

OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
  • Dec 13, 2003
    San Marcos
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Grady White 208
    Well we tried. The only puddlers and jumpers we saw were in the blue 67+ degree water. Most of the deep marks were also in the blue water. There were a few deep marks in the green 64.5 degree water with lots of terns around dipping and diving about 5 miles from Dana Point, but whatever we had, they didn't want. We stopped on 8 paddies on the way back in, though 6 of them were within a half mile of each other for no go.

So what didn't work: trolled cedar plugs, Halcos, and Yo-Zuri Hydromags, slow trolled sardines, flylined sardines, weighted sardines, long soaks, yo-yo iron, surface iron. Went down to 20 lb test too.

But, the weather was great, the boat ran flawlessly on its shakedown cruise, and I got to spend Father's Day with my dad doing something we love doing. Tonight I'm still having tuna for dinner since my freezer is still full of vacuum packed yellowfin. So today was a good day. (And I still hate bluefin!) ;-)

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
    Feb 23, 2012
    la mesa, ca
    Name
    Russell
    Boat
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    Rat bastard Bluefin.

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
    Feb 23, 2012
    la mesa, ca
    Name
    Russell
    Boat
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    Rat bastard Bluefin.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    :drunk:2gunsfiring_v1::zelfmoord:zelfmoord:zelfmoord:zelfmoordThanks for the on the water dope. I'm sitting in traffic reading your post, driving home from Simi valley, trying to get the heartbreak loss my team (my daughters softball team) just had in the semi finals, out of my head.

Upvote 0
    P

Paddyman1

Nice to see all these fish rather than not see them at all. Chances would be zero without them. Patience is a nemesis when you know they're there.

Reactions: OnoEric
    Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
    HB
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Line up
    :drunk:2gunsfiring_v1::zelfmoord:zelfmoord:zelfmoord:zelfmoordThanks for the on the water dope. I'm sitting in traffic reading your post, driving home from Simi valley, trying to get the heartbreak loss my team (my daughters softball team) just had in the semi finals, out of my head.
    Good for you!! Sorry they lost !! I coach Soccer it's tough to loose. They will get other chances. Just as you will fishing. But you never get back opportunities spent with your kids!! Happy Fathersday!! All BDers. Jeff

Reactions: Blackfish
    Upvote 0

OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
  • Dec 13, 2003
    San Marcos
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Grady White 208

Sorry to hear that, Mike. Losses like that are always tough. I still remember a few of the tough losses my teams had when I was 9 and 10 years. Now I get to re-live it with my kids. I'm getting the idea it's just as emotional for the parents as it is for the kids, and maybe even more so...

I heard someone trying to call Blackfish on the radio yesterday, though there's probably more than one Blackfish around here.

Reactions: Blackfish
    Upvote 0

OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
  • Dec 13, 2003
    San Marcos
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Grady White 208
    massive treble hook to snag

Ha! I actually thought about that yesterday. Then I thought it would probably suck trying to fight a 100 lb bluefin on the long rod when it would be impossible to turn its head. I did still did have hope I could snag one. I've pulled in small yellowfin that have been snagged in their sides by the trolling spread before, but 18 lb fish on 80 lb gear is a bit easier that 100 lb fish on 40 lb gear.

Upvote 0