On the water After Action Repot: Excel 8 Day.

SemperFishing

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
On the Excel motoring north as I type this. I’ll keep itshort as the fishing was overall rather poor for a fall 8 day. I thought Iwould post some tips that may help some of you BDers make your efforts count onany trips this fall. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

OK, just a brief overview, we covered LOTs of water for verylittle in fishing productivity. Lots of trolling hits but the darn fish wouldscoot after getting 1-2 hook-ups on megabaits and the like. Vast majority ofYFT were small footballs. Dorado were often mixed in on trolling, also rathersmall. We did venture WAAAY out there for 3 monster dorado (40-50ish pounds),but caught nothing else for that day. I went to bat on the troll with boat gearand had two wahoo hook ups = two marauder malfunctions, a broken crimp (lostthe marauder) AND a hook that brook at the swivel. Talk about bad luck! I’venever even heard of marauders breaking. So, tip #1, ensure your trolling gear isat 110% shape. The pinks with blacks seem to be getting bit well. Dorado color too.The Yellowfin were liking the zucchini colors. <o:p></o:p>

Yellowtail fishing was good, mostly yo-yo but I got about12+ tails on the surface plug. When the fishing did slow, the dorado color wasreally producing. THeres tip #2. <o:p></o:p>

Bait situation was precarious, all the boats, (local and LR)are having trouble with this. We had some cured on board, but we had to startusing it sparingly through out the trip. <o:p></o:p>

We spent one day at Alijo s Rocks and caught about 15 hoos.Water was gorgeous and full of bait. We did not get a jig strike for 3-4 hoursand when we did it was game on hoos for about 3 minutes. I was on the bow, oursurface jigs were getting chased and then I watched a 35+ pound hoo “glide” inon top of my Tony the Tiger 6xJR and chomp on it. Amazing! It was like slowmotion action. The jig caught perfectly in the corner of the mouth. We gotabout 5 hoos off that, got another strike for 4 (got a 2<sup>nd</sup> hoo on asilver and purple raider) and then picked off 1-2s for the next 5 hours. Notuna were seen. Very little wire was used, in fact, no hoos on jigs were caughtusing wire to my knowledge. Gold color seemed very productive, raiders seemedlike the hot ticket. Theres tip #3.<o:p></o:p>
Alright, nothing else much to report, we hit a few morespots for small footballs on megabaits and few dodos. We finished up a quick bite of nice paddygrade dodos around the trip, but like the other bites, it was very short lived.My next long range trip Im gonna dish out some hate and discontent on thesefish! Man it was slow!<o:p></o:p>

Crew and food was great, to be expected on the Excel. I got hooked on the bottom with my jig and spent 10 minutes trying to bounce it out. MIke Ramirez comes over, has it for barely a minute and hands me my rod witht he jig swinging free as a loose balloon. Dang! Crew was excellent with tangles, just wished we had more fish to get hung up on. Hopefullythe fishing will pick up with more wahoo and tuna moving into the rocks this fall.

Relacson

@relacson22
Feb 22, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Marc
Boat
yours
Thanks!!! Leave in 15 days!!! Sorry the fishing wasn't better!!

backlashjack

Scallywag
May 14, 2007
Alta Loma, CA
Name
Jackson
Boat
Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
Catching trumps fishing

Fishing trumps wishing

Glad to see you got some skin and made it home safe.

qtrracer

Jan 17, 2010
Simi Valley, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
none
Thanks for the report.

SteveB3005

Oct 2, 2009
broomfield,co
Name
SteveB
Boat
float tube
Talk about bad luck! I’ve never even heard of marauders breaking.
I've had 2 break over the years, one at the swivel and one at the bend in the hook and both were new for the trip. I still wonder about that and why the mono didn't snap first. The shock impact must be astounding, the lure going 8mph in one direction and the hoo' going 40mph the other.

Thank you for the report.

nick17yz

TUNA TOKER
Nov 6, 2008
SEEKER RODS
Name
Nick Rekrut
Boat
Longrange
cant wait to try out the Excel. Thanks for the report!!

machoflea

Aug 6, 2012
USA!!!!
Name
J B
Boat
Wilderness
Nice Report! I love the Excel and miss it, seriously awesome boat and just as awesome crew and captain. Sorry to hear the trip didn't produce the way you wanted, just gives you an excuse to book another trip on there soon.

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
Jul 10, 2003
Orange County, CA
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
Royal Polaris - sold the boat
Broken Mauraders

On almost every 18 day trip I have ever been on, I have see broken Mauraders...

Usually the swivels break. I bring my braising kit and fit them for the other passengers.

I lost one after hooking a nice tuna in the buffer zone in dec. the 275 braided wire broke Inside the loop. Yes, it was a new trolling harness. Another angler landed his.. 180# class.

It is the swivels that are the weak link..

Tit lines

Jeff

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
Thanks for the Dope. Sounds like you got some fish, wasn't too bad. Though it is tough to watch some guys struggle. As long as I get a couple of each for the freezer I'm happy :).

mmsblee

I Pity The Fool
Apr 3, 2012
So Cal
Name
marshall
Boat
Boatless
Been on a many 1 and 2 day trips without a fish. Sometime that how fishing go. The Excel however is a great boat and the crew that will put out a 110% effort to get you on the fish.

hagridfish

Oct 21, 2008
Aurora Colorado
Name
Kevin
Boat
None
Had my marauder break a # of years ago (at the swivel) Sent it back to Braid, they put a new swivel on it, and it broke again my next trip (swivel again). So after a nasty gram complaining about losing fish, they put new swivels on a third time, and it worked great until someone at the docks decided they liked my tackle bag more than I did. But yes, the swivels can and do come apart.

CMY SIX

ASSHOLE #2
Feb 5, 2011
Opelika Al USA
Name
quinn
Boat
exel last, next?
Had my marauder break a # of years ago (at the swivel) Sent it back to Braid, they put a new swivel on it, and it broke again my next trip (swivel again). So after a nasty gram complaining about losing fish, they put new swivels on a third time, and it worked great until someone at the docks decided they liked my tackle bag more than I did. But yes, the swivels can and do come apart.

This is why the Captain wants you to take your stuff to your car first!

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
Just got back to the dock, heres insult to injury, my wahoo was the biggest fish (non-trolled) for the trip, but I didnt get in Jackpot.

Could have had $720!!!!!!!!!!!! It went to my buddy Matt instead, who has not missed an opportunity to rub it in my face (oh well, his first LR trip, I'll let him have it. I rub it in about how I got two hoos and he got none).

And SPEAKING OF THINGS GETTING STOLEN: Matt's 20lb Grouper got jacked at the landing while we were sorting our catch! KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR FISH (and tackle, and everything else for that matter!)!!!!!

lewisclan

Feb 18, 2012
CA
Name
Jay
Boat
N/A
seriously! some jack ass stole your Grouper

125mph

Dec 16, 2011
SAN DIEGO
Name
Tony
Boat
N/A
Thanks for the report although I got the rundown from my buddy Tony, who's on the trip too.
You should head out to next year's trip. I'm back in next year on the 8 day "palegic open" but hopefully the tuna will be bigger... a lot bigger.

125mph

Dec 16, 2011
SAN DIEGO
Name
Tony
Boat
N/A
Just got back to the dock, heres insult to injury, my wahoo was the biggest fish (non-trolled) for the trip, but I didnt get in Jackpot.

Could have had $720!!!!!!!!!!!! It went to my buddy Matt instead, who has not missed an opportunity to rub it in my face (oh well, his first LR trip, I'll let him have it. I rub it in about how I got two hoos and he got none).

And SPEAKING OF THINGS GETTING STOLEN: Matt's 20lb Grouper got jacked at the landing while we were sorting our catch! KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR FISH (and tackle, and everything else for that matter!)!!!!!
Man I told you guys to watch your fish!!! Everyone was admiring matt's jackpot 32lb tuna which shoulda been a slightly above average catch if we found them right schools!!! lol

jubben

I like fishing but love c
Feb 6, 2007
VC CA
Name
Jesse
Boat
215 Triumph
You should head out to next year's trip. I'm back in next year on the 8 day "palegic open" but hopefully the tuna will be bigger... a lot bigger.
Hey Toney good fishing fishing with you maybe I will see on the pelagic open. The fishing was good on the jig this year alot of quanity just not alot of quality.

newtauk17

Feb 5, 2010
Arroyo Grande/CA/USA
Name
Kohei
Boat
18',Robalo
Dave!!! What's up buddy? You can afford a tough trip here and there - you had a good one on the long trip earlier this year. You going on a long one this coming season? We plan to be in New Orleans first quarter of next year - intend to look you up. Kohei