On the slide

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Wahoosnofish, May 3, 2011.

1. Wahoosnofish

Wahoosnofish now thats a galley fish

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    no
    What's your favorite lure and presentation while fishing the slide for Albacore or BFT?

2. Johnny J

Johnny J Formally INOXicated

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    not mine
    First in first bit even with a dead bait..

3. pmurphy

pmurphy Member

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    Hobie kayak
    Chrome and blue Crippled Herring 4 ounce. 50 or 60 lb. line.

Often, it's first in, only one bit.

4. Sea 2'er

Sea 2'er Elk Country USA

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    Gone!
    "Meat fishing, on the slide..." 3/4 oz Lead Head w/ anchovy rubber on 30#. Like they said above, first in, first hit! Find a spot at the rail and wait for the call....

5. Garabaldi

Garabaldi Newbie

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Still on the 5 year waiting list for a DP harbor slip!
    For albacore just about any slim jig will do, I like the Tady Y2 in blue chrome with a single hook (little slower sink and it actually swims well on the crank so you often get bit winding back). 5" plastic swim bait in chovy color with a 3/4 to 1 oz tuna jig head can be deadly but you will have to replace it after 2 to 3 fish. Poor man's slide rig is a sardine or chovy nose hooked with a split shot or rubbercore 24 inches above your hook (this dude usually wins the jackpot on the offshore trips!).

For bluefin a 1 to 2 oz chrome torpedo sinker rigged with 30" fluoro leader to nose hooked sardine or chovy can be killer! Thumb your spool at let your live bait slowly sink out on the slide. Have to remember that on a jig strike fish are coming up from deeper water attracted by chum baits and the commotion of the boat.

Tight lines!

6. dweston

dweston Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Duane
    Boat:
    yours
    Any color mega bait or blue and white 6x jr.

7. seriola_killer

seriola_killer Dalurker's #1 Fan

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    The Moose Knuckle
    This ^^^^^^^

My favorite technique. 40# to 3 oz. torpedo to 4' of fluoro with a dead sardine. If they are eating small stuff, a small crippled herring bent with pliers is a great slide bait as well.

8. Johnny J

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    not mine
    Mr. Chow taught me that.

Attached Files:

9. seriola_killer

seriola_killer Dalurker's #1 Fan

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    The Moose Knuckle
    Taught you the dead bait slide on the torpedo sinker? Or taught you the crippled herring with a bend in it?

10. TopMpg

TopMpg Member

Name:
    Unknown
    Boat:
    Never Again
    Mega bait and wait for the tangle with everyone else trying to slide. And by all means don't wait for the trolling gear to get clear. You can be that guy.

11. Johnny J

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    not mine
    The dead bait deal. On the Vag we would troll for who knows how long and I would give Mr. Chow a hard time about his bait that had died and it was stiff. He would just smile and after 3 fish on the slide I learned. Hope to fish with him again this year.

12. saltwaterfish

saltwaterfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    looking for new one
    black/purple big hammer swimbait

13. pescadoborracho

pescadoborracho Newbie

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    XXX
    When only the first one or two lines in the water after a jig strike are being bit on the slide it's a challenge to hook a bait and get in the water fast enough to win that race so I used to use a fish trap type lead head plastic swim bait in dark blue or green color. Nowadays I prefer to use a megabait in that situation although I've had plenty of luck with both. That being said, both are single hook rigs and the swim bait places the hook on the top. Don't cast them, just drop them right off the side of the boat as soon as you hear a trolling reel go off. Two things you should never do on the slide, the first is cast at all (just drop it off the rail or use a slight underhand toss) and the second is to use any iron or lure with a treble hook as you will reel in everyone else with you on your retrieve. There's nothing more infuriating than seeing a guy winding in a crocodile on the slide with 8 lines on it.

14. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    No poaching on the slide Dave. X rules. NFR

15. Wahoosnofish

Wahoosnofish now thats a galley fish

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    no
    No slinging iron from the:rofl::rofl: stern either

16. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    Oops, my bad.:rofl:

17. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Oh, Shit! Is that why I get all those dirty looks? I thought you were supposed to thorw in directly on top of one of the trollers, preferably the guy who stopped the boat. That's where the fish are, right?;)

18. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    That reminds me of my first trip. It was albacore on the RP, 3-day. If I hooked up while trolling I'd lean over the rail to unhook my pole and by the time I'd stand back up I'd have all these lines flying over my shoulders. I hadn't learned anything about etiquette yet and even I was saying, "WTH!?" It was slow fishing and people were all worked up. Pretty funny.

Which reminds me of something. I had hooked an albacore late in the trip and another angler got tangled in my fish. But, I wasn't sure who had hooked the fish initially. We got it gaffed and on the deck and as the crew unwrapped the lines I just assumed that whoever had hooked the fish in the mouth kept it. Nope. My hook was in the mouth. The crew had us chose numbers - actually a crew member just about handed us the numbers, and the other guy got the high number and kept the fish. That was a learning experience... This is why I keep playing the lotto. If I win I'm going to buy a huge Hatteras and hire a crew of bikini-clad hotties to run it for me. That will essentially fix everything and my life will be perfect. :hali_olutta:

19. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    What truly defines WTH is when you get whacked in the back of the head by a guy who just cast a bait in over the top of you. Excuse me? Your piddly little bait fish don't amount to a thing; it's the troll fish we need to get to the boat so the school will follow! Hello!

Usually if two anglers hook the same fish, it's the deepest hook that takes the fish. Had a good one on Shogun a while back on Yellows on the Ridge. I and another guy were apparently in a tangle and one of us had a fish on. As I got our tips together there was no apparent tangle so I just backed off on pulling and hitchhiked on the way up, keeping the slack out of mine as he wound in the fish. We both had hooks in the fish and the guy got all concerned about what to do. I said, "Dude, you take the fish, I'll go catch another one." Phase two, and unbelievable, but an hour later, same thing. I backed off and he saw how much harder it was to pull on the fish. I said, let's both pull on him and see what happens. Fish came spiraling up out of the water and almost made it on deck. Gaffed and laying their with our hooks side by side in it's mouth, the guy really got concerned. Like, oh shit, what do we do now? I got the Last one, who gets this one? Again, I said, "Dude, it's just a fish, all yours!"

What are the chances of that happening, and twice in the same day, same two anglers?;)

20. Garabaldi

Garabaldi Newbie

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Still on the 5 year waiting list for a DP harbor slip!
    The point to remember here is the troll fish need to get to the boat ASAP as their family and friends will follow them. If you are using a two speed reel on the troll be sure to keep it in LOW gear as these jobs are not going to charge the boat like a billfish, they will resist all the way as the boat continues to slide forward so just keep on turning the turner and short pump when needed. The captain or crew will usually give instruction to the group regarding when to go in on the slide as too not disrupt the troll fish being brought to the boat (Fishing 101... common sense).

I have done a whole bunch of offshore albacore fishing over the past 35 years on open and charter party boats and can honestly say that I have never had a fish take my bait and another anglers bait at the same time, probably cuz I go out of my way to stay ahead or behind the pack when going in, and then I keep in close contact with my bait so there is as little slack line (bow in line) as possible, this was much harder to do in the good old days when all we had was anchovies for bait and sometimes they were "pin heads" where you just had to pull line off your reel and provide some slack line to get them to swim at all while using #4 or #6 bait hooks with 12lb or 15lb mono. I also like 8' bait rods as I can lift my line up higher off the water when other anglers get close to me (gives me better line separation distance, I can see my line better, and of course I can cast a flyline bait a bit further as well).

Cool thing about using the artificials on the slide is you are in control of where they go, and your chances of a double hook up with another angler while using the jigs and swim baits are pretty close to zero. Single hooks are the way to go in this application as they will cause less trama to other slack lines in the water when you reel in and they are a lot easier to get out of the fishes mouth once they hit the deck. Shorter 6'6" to 7' rods work best for the slide IMO.

Lets all hope this is a good year for offshore fishing!

Tight lines