sealskinner

Retired Pimp
Apr 24, 2005
in the Hood
Name
Mike
Boat
Franks ho
My buddy just got back from a 1.75 dayer. On a boat out of H&M.
He got a 140 & a 180#.
He said the Capt was telling people to use the 100# gear. Trouble was there were only 3 or 4 guys with heavy gear.
He said the Capt drove away from the big fish to find " catchable fish ". That's sad.
Rent or borrow the heavy shit.
These trips cost too damn much to not be able to take advantage of this unbelievable fishery.

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Peter Sellers Film GIF

Upvote 0

Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Dec 3, 2014
    Chula Vista
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Fond Memory
    ... the Capt drove away from the big fish to find " catchable fish ". That's sad.
    Been fishing in one form or another since I could walk, maybe before. Never ever in my life did I think I would ever complain that the fish are too big :rolleyes: Seen it so many times already this year, a whole boatload of anglers waiting around for some guy who brought a knife to a gunfight trying to land a 125+ BFT. He's not even doing it, he gave up 30 minutes ago, the deck hand is doing all the work. Even the crew I was talking to on the Pacifica last weekend said they like the 50# class fish better, more "manageable" they said :D
    What can they do?

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    Captain Mike Loust on Tomahawk last month walked the line before we boarded, inspecting rigs. Anyone that didn't have at least an 80# rig he sent in for a Rent Rod. We Still had a casualty when a guy fishing a big reel w/100# paired it with a weak rod. No lift, no recoil, bottomed out the entire fight. The angler turned the stick over to the deck hands after 30-minutes. Definite Cow size. 90-minutes and 5-laps around the boat later the big jig hook pulled just before gaffing range. There is more to a good Heavy than 100# line...

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Shane R

Almost A Member
    Jul 30, 2020
    Yucca Valley
    Name
    Shane Reil
    Boat
    Next year hopefully
    The times and fishery has changed. Unfortunately the majority of people going fishing have not. Let's be honest now days there is a chance that you are going to catch a 100+ fish on a full day. The days of I am going on a overnight boat and only going to take 2 rods are over. I now take a minimum of 6 rods on any trip. If you dont have the gear rent Barrow ( from a friend) or buy. Or be prepared not to fish when the boat stops on big fish. Be responsible everyone will have a better trip.

Last edited:
    Reactions: ChicoBob
    Upvote 0

Dbado1

Almost A Member
  • Jul 17, 2020
    Arizona
    Name
    Robert D Bado
    Boat
    Toyota tundra
    Last September I was on a 1.5 day during the hot YF, YT, Dorado bite. Booked the trip mainly for those species. Called the landing the day before to do a "gear check" they said bring 30,40,50#. No problem. We get on the boat and the Captain says, "we're heading West to fish BF"! Audible groan from everyone. One guy says, " wait a minute, that's not what they said at the landing and I didn't bring the gear for that". My brother and I agreed with him. Nobody else said a word!! Nobody brought gear over 50/60#. The BF were huge. Nobody fished after a number of guys got spooled on the first few stops. Spent the rest of the time watching the kite flying and trying to find "small enough BF". No fish. We get back to the landing and the other boats that had gone south had just crushed the the other species. Makes me wonder what's going on in the Captains head sometimes. Won't go on that boat again.
    Right now the BF are the only game in town...so go prepared!

Reactions: surfgoose
    Upvote 0

cozenone

Jan 25, 2020
    northwest
    Name
    joe
    Boat
    none
    Be prepared for anything 30-130 and have back up's,.... Shit, I hate leaving anything behind...I still bring 8 rods on a 3.5 day, every time I put one a side, and say to myself, I can leave this one behind... the little guy on my shoulder convinces me to say fuck it...bring it....the wife always say's how many can you fish at one time... constant battle..:):)....on another note; It sure would be upsetting to have to leave a possibility to retrieve a personal best because the rest of the bunch didn't invest or rent the right shit.... in fact, it would really kinda PISS ME OFF.....SO GEAR UP!!!! were not playing with Albacore or rat Yellow's

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
    la mesa ca
    Name
    mike de vito
    Boat
    20ft nitro
    Short story. i was on a club charter on the Eclipse ( the old name for the tomahawk) The captain said we were going to the Cortez bank to fish for BFT. Ok it was a 3 day trip. The local boats were killing the school size YFT and DOODOOs first day we start out catching yellowtail (smaller models) on the jigs for about two hours than we trolled all day for zip. That night was anchor at the bank I start fishing for sheepshead. Me and two other guys get our limit after dinner. The next morning we are still anchored and I start fishing for sheepshead again. The Owner/Captain (Mark Gillette sp) comes down what are you doing. I told him that no one was catching anything so I was fishing the bottom. He told me this is a tuna trip. I agreed but still was fishing the bottom. About 30 minutes later he calls for line in we are trolling again. All day no love. We anchor again for dinner. I asked the captain in front of the group Can we travel in toward home and take advantage of the tuna fishing for schoolie fish. He was pissed. and we did not travel that night. Again I got up early and down to the bottom I go. Before breakfast there was probably 50% of the boat rockfishing with me. The captain calls for line in we head to Catalina and fish for bass than head in early as it was a bust. I was not upset that we did not score the BFT. I was POed we did not change the course of the trip to adapt to the fishing conditions. The captain wanted to do something and that was what we were going to do. Some captains have an EGO and we have to deal with it. That was the last trip for me with him. I have fished the Tomahawk and still love the boat. Cheers

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Dbado1 and azbaseball -- I hear you, it's happened to me multiple times. After a bunch of decades of fishing on dozens of boats, I've come to the conclusion that if it is summer and there are big tuna within a hundred miles, the majority of captains running boats going overnight or longer are going to chase them. Captains talk among themselves, and I think that they give each other crap about catching average fish if even a couple of boats have landed really big fish.

Many times the 3/4-day and day boats will be hammering the schools of "baby" fifteen to twenty pound yellowfin and yellowtail within thirty miles of San Diego, everyone comes back with several fish to full limits, but the landing websites and W.O.N. pictures are of huge tuna, often just a handful for a boatload of people, usually kite fish caught on a trip filled with hours of boredom and frustration for almost everyone else.

I get the drive to tag a huge tuna, to smile a bit and say to the other fishermen, "Well, when I caught my cow tuna . . ." Been there, done that, still feel good about it. Don't need to add to the life-list.

Unless it is a charter with a strong charter-master, you are going to be taken to wherever the captain thinks that he can pursue fish that will get him recognition at the dock when he returns. I understand that drive, you don't captain a sportboat without a real burning need to stand tall among your peers. And that means that a couple of yellowtail is better than limits-around of bass, and that a handful of big tuna is better than two or three-around yellowtail and dorado.

Reactions: Dbado1
    Upvote 0

zing1402

Jul 13, 2020
    yorba linda
    Name
    nick
    Boat
    which one
    so who the hell is buying up all the gear then? I have been looking for a visx20 and 16 not one to be found anywhere. And all you see is guys with old outmatched gear

Upvote 0

Drew Stephens

Almost A Member
    Dec 6, 2017
    Ventura, CA
    Name
    Drew Stephens
    Boat
    Sunbird Neptune 230
    I got spooled once on #50 that was really only a 30-40# stick. Immediately after the trip I got a 60# 80# and a 100# stick. Never have used them since but I will in the beginning of july on my bight trip!

Reactions: kbray001
    Upvote 0

california2

Jan 29, 2011
    N. OC
    Name
    cali
    Boat
    boat
    everyone has to remember and capitalize on this fishery. The old timers have always stated 50 years ago we were catching these size fish. They are here again...for how long??? not forever for sure. Capitalize on it and stop complaining. you will regret it!!!!

Reactions: Shane R
    Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    He said the Capt drove away from the big fish to find " catchable fish ". That's sad.
    Rent or borrow the heavy shit.
    These trips cost too damn much to not be able to take advantage of this unbelievable fishery.
    Great advise, rent to cover the wholes in your arsenal. So everyone has a quality trip!

Reactions: ChicoBob
    Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    This bite on the bigger bluefin has been going on now for 3 years so we’re well passed the “surprise” stage of this. There is no excuse to get on a boat right now without bringing the heavy stuff. Even if you park on a smaller grade of fish at some point the bigger models might/will move in and change the bite. You can’t expect a Captain to drive away from them. You don’t leave fish to find fish

I went on a 3-day on the RP last July and brought options from 30-120lb just to cover any potential options. Ended up not needing anything over 30lb. Never regretted having brought the shop with me.

Don’t bring a butter knife to a gun fight

Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
    May 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Len
    Boat
    Camo Whammo
    Or boats could stash heavy gear on board. Rentals at the ready just charge when needed. Limited space = limited supply so of course there's a premium. Captain and crew get to be the dock heroes. Manufacturers could chip in get the money shots thus free advertising. Fish processors get the business. You get your shot of a fish of a lifetime. This is our gold rush don't let $$$ and memories swim away.

For more marketing tips shoot me a message and a 6 pack or three.

Reactions: Leo Montana
    Upvote 0

OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
  • Dec 13, 2003
    San Marcos
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Grady White 208
    I'm on the Liberty tomorrow, and bringing 40, 60, and 100. Never thought that would be my arsenal on a day trip. LOL
    So the 60 and 100 lb rigs spent the day in the rod rack and I fished 40 all day. Got a 20 lber and and a 50 lber. Some people were dropping down to 30 and even 20 to get bit, and then proceeding to get their ass kicked on 50-60 lb fish on 20.

Upvote 0

kimbo

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jun 24, 2008
    orange county
    Name
    Batman
    Boat
    21' cabo
    Captain Mike Loust on Tomahawk last month walked the line before we boarded, inspecting rigs. Anyone that didn't have at least an 80# rig he sent in for a Rent Rod. We Still had a casualty when a guy fishing a big reel w/100# paired it with a weak rod. No lift, no recoil, bottomed out the entire fight. The angler turned the stick over to the deck hands after 30-minutes. Definite Cow size. 90-minutes and 5-laps around the boat later the big jig hook pulled just before gaffing range. There is more to a good Heavy than 100# line...
    What kind of rod was it?

Upvote 0