On board battery charger issues

saltpheen

Aug 17, 2017
Placerville
Name
Seagambler
Boat
20 north river sea hawk Grady white 282 sailfish
Got a Grady 282 sailfish looking to get a new on board battery charger for overnighting to keep my bait tank and lights on all night, I have 3 life line batteries in it right now and a pro sport 12 2 bank charger, when I plug the charger into my generator it goes through the system check then starts charging so I thought I was ok woke up in the morning to very dim lights and my bait barely Alive with most of it dead and the charger was just on maintain not charge, I got my house battery and my starboard starting battery in parallel on switch one and my port motor on switch 2, the charger is currently hooked up to the house battery and the starboard starting battery that are in parallel was thinking of trying the nocco 2 bank 20 amp charger but an open to suggestions I wanna have faith in my on board charger will keep me good over night, also boat has a shore power plug but when I plugged the generator into into it I got a reverse polarity light so just by passed the shore power straight to the charger with the generator

Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
I like the my lifeline house batteries and I have noco chargers also. I'm a bit confused why a large boat like yours only has one house battery and is connected to a starter. So can you detail what size battery and type are connected?

My 22 footer has 2 group 27 house lifeline is parallel. They are charged by a noco 20 amp. 2 leg.

My starter are 2 wet interstate group 24 starter batts in parallel. dedicated to the motor. They have a smaller noco charger in the bilge. Noco chargers are beasts in wet area.

They are relayed by a Yadina relay.

Upvote 0

saltpheen

Aug 17, 2017
Placerville
Name
Seagambler
Boat
I like the my lifeline house batteries and I have noco chargers also. I'm a bit confused why a large boat like yours only has one house battery and is connected to a starter. So can you detail what size battery and type are connected?

My 22 footer has 2 group 27 house lifeline is parallel. They are charged by a noco 20 amp. 2 leg.

My starter are 2 wet interstate group 24 starter batts in parallel. dedicated to the motor. They have a smaller noco charger in the bilge. Noco chargers are beasts in wet area.

They are relayed by a Yadina relay.
The house is the 27t lifeline and the starting batteries are 2400 the boat was wired with the first starting battery and house in parallel when I got it and the manual from Grady shows them being wired like that as well, I have been thinking of adding a second house battery just not sure on the room in the spot the batteries currently are, that’s awesome to hear about the nocco charger no issues with both charge banks being hooked up to batteries in parallel?

Upvote 0

MightyMach

Aug 17, 2007
Corona
Name
Jeff
Boat
Phoenix 29 SFX "Given Inn," 17' Duckhungint boat, "Camo-Toe"
I have a promariner pronautic 50amp 3 bank charger and love it

Upvote 0

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
I pulled the toilet out and put the first batts there. My only issue is drifting with the motor off all day but I can get around that next time with a solar panel.

I think running two different batteries in parallel is the issue. Separate the horse from the starter and add another house. One charger can can do all four batts depending. I have two chargers just because it was easier and not too much more money.

Reactions: sickcat
Upvote 0

clevel

Skipper
  • Jun 4, 2011
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Cabo Jack
    Boat
    Cobia 261
    If you decide with 2 house and 2 starter batteries. You have an option of getting the ProMariner Pro Tournament Elite series with 4 legs. It has served me very well so far. Good for flooded acid or AGM. You cannot mix batteries types with this charger though, it has to be either all wet flooded or all AGM. How many ISO charger lines do you have from your motors? If you have two from each motor, plus a generator, and four batteries, you would never need shore power unless your running 120 V equipment like AC, refrigerator etc..

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

Sep 19, 2003
    San Pedro, Ca.
    www.yayacalls.com
    Name
    Stefan
    Boat
    Grady White 263 Chase
    saltpheen,

I have a GW 263 Chase, I have 4 batteries, one for each outboard and two for the house. I installed a Promarine 20a 3 bank charger to keep them charged. I have had very good luck with these Promarine chargers in the past.

When it is time to swap out the house batteries I will be putting in a pair of 6v Hi Capacity Trojans

Upvote 0

saltpheen

Aug 17, 2017
    Placerville
    Name
    Seagambler
    Boat
    Thanks for all the input guys I would love to run 4 batteries I’m gonna try and figure out a way to get a second house battery in the system and still allow them to charge while the motors are on but for now I’ll check out the pro mariner Chargers seems like you guys are having good luck with those ones

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    I agree with Aquachico that you should separate the house and cranking side. Many modern chargers sense battery state from the lead connected to the battery and don't like when you have two charger leads connected to different batteries connected in parallel.

A couple questions so I can get a better picture of what is going on.

Since you say you plugged the genny into your shore power outlet I assume we're talking about a Honda generator?

Does the battery charger seem to work OK when the boat is plugged into power at the dock?

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    If you decide with 2 house and 2 starter batteries. You have an option of getting the ProMariner Pro Tournament Elite series with 4 legs. It has served me very well so far. Good for flooded acid or AGM. You cannot mix batteries types with this charger though, it has to be either all wet flooded or all AGM. How many ISO charger lines do you have from your motors? If you have two from each motor, plus a generator, and four batteries, you would never need shore power unless your running 120 V equipment like AC, refrigerator etc..

Once of the nice things about the Yandina combiner is you can configure it to charge both a wet battery and an AGM from the same charging source.

Say I have a wet cranking battery and an AGM house battery. The charging source goes to the cranking battery and the combiner connects the cranking battery with the house battery. Properly configured the combiner will keep the charge voltage going to the AGM battery with safe limits.

Upvote 0

saltpheen

Aug 17, 2017
    Placerville
    Name
    Seagambler
    Boat
    I agree with Aquachico that you should separate the house and cranking side. Many modern chargers sense battery state from the lead connected to the battery and don't like when you have two charger leads connected to different batteries connected in parallel.

A couple questions so I can get a better picture of what is going on.

Since you say you plugged the genny into your shore power outlet I assume we're talking about a Honda generator?

Does the battery charger seem to work OK when the boat is plugged into power at the dock?
    I skipped the shore power plug and just plugged the Honda 2200 genny right into the onboard battery charger something is going on with the shore power plug and says reverse polarity when I plug it in

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    I skipped the shore power plug and just plugged the Honda 2200 genny right into the onboard battery charger something is going on with the shore power plug and says reverse polarity when I plug it in

I assume the polarity shows correct when you plug into power at the dock?

Also does the charger function normally when plugged into shorepower?

Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    My thought process would be first get a hydrometer and check your batteries gravity, just get it out of the way first. Simple, easy, cheap and something you should do 1 or 2 times a year, however most people neglect this. Having a bad cell will still allow the battery to read a full 12 volts but it will not have the "umpf" behind it to power anything. And yes, even new batteries can have bad cells. To put it another way, quite literally it is all show and no go.

Depending on your electrical knowledge you should be looking at how many amps you are drawing during the night. You need to check this from the battery cable itself not from an amp meter on the dash for best results. The reason why I say this is because if your current charger is speced for 12 amps, though probably not distributed evenly, it should be enough to power a bait pump and a couple lights by itself. A bait Sentry 1100 is only going to be drawing 4 amps. You may possibly have something tapped into the circuit before the amp meter. My own thoughts are 12 amp chargers do not produce enough for our applications. I use a Promariner 20 amp dual bank and it takes over a day for me to get a green light of charged. (Though I am charging 2x Trojan T105's and a group 31.)

As everyone has said above, separate your banks and put either a Yandina or Blue Seas ACR between the banks to keep them separate.

Reactions: sickcat
    Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    I have never tried to plug in at the dock boat stays on a trailer in dry storage

If possible plug it into shorepower and see if the polarity shows as correct and try the charger to see if it functions normally. When you get a chance to do that report back.

A Honda generator is a generator (DC) and uses an invertor to turn that DC power into 120VAC. It produces what is called a modified sine wave which while similar to the AC power coming out of say your wall outlet is different enough to affect some electronics including your charger. You should not show reverse polarity with the Honda plugged into the shorepower outlet but there may be a grounding issue.

Reactions: aguachico
    Upvote 0