scbassmaster

twin22s
Sep 8, 2006
san clemente
Name
Brian
Boat
"I'm in the market, as it were" - Jack Sparrow
I would be concerned about the frame cracking, I have a set of 4 TLD30II (older ones) that I use for trolling yellowfin, yellowtail and marlin but only with 50lb line (12lbs drag at strike). trying to fish 80lb and 20-30lbs of drag would probably not work out too well. for the big tuna I use a Penn Fathom 40NLD2, and would recommend an even heavier reel for night time flat fall fishing, like a MAK16, VISX16, or avet HX, something with a machined metal frame and can put out 40- 50lbs of drag if needed.
You would probably be ok as long as you don't put too much drag on the reel but then what's the point of fishing heavy rod/line. I would opt for a more stout reel. others can chime in with more budget friendly options for heavy flat fall reels... im looking to pick on up myself.

D
donovan2013
Thanks for the input
I had a feeling that reel would not be sufficient
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Back in the day when those were sort of state of the art I got a 128# blue fin on one with 60lb mono. Kicked my ass, but possible. With all the better options there are today and cost of a trip it's time to upgrade

Upvote 0

neil c

Fish Killing Fool
Mar 28, 2011
long beach / rainbow harbor / shoreline village
Name
neil
Boat
34 Radovich/ Four Reel Sportfishing
If thats what you have use it. I have been using TLD's for 25 years. If you have the money to spend to get a newer reel go for it but yes your tld30 will be just fine.
There are some upgrades for that reel also to make it a bit stronger if your looking to catch anything over 150+. Great for 40lb to 100lb anything over that it will swoop your butt is my opinion.

Reactions: donovan2013
Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
Nope. If you have to you can make it work for your 40# rig... Not a good one though... With the mixed size schools this year I would want at a minimum a Penn Fathom 40 nld2 loaded with 500 yards of 80# braid. Pair this with an Okuma PCH 741 XXH and you are set. Unless the Monsters are playing on your trip...

Upvote 0

Mr. lucky

Almost A Member
Sep 17, 2004
Poway
Name
Jason Gutzmer
Boat
La Rana
I caught 5 bluefin over 100#'s on one trip (150# pictured) on my TLD 30 with the Will Fish aluminum frame. The real was filled with 130 braid and 100lb mono top shot. Never felt outmatched and the reel did great. I had the drag turned way up and landed all in under 30 minutes. Had it paired with a Graftech rail rod. Not sure how well it would do on a 2-300 lb'r but hope to find out later this year.
111.jpg

Reactions: spize909
Upvote 0

Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
I was on the Pacifica 1.5 this weekend, I noticed several TLD 30’s on the boat, old and tired looking ones. Then I noticed the tell tale rent rod markings on the rods 😆. I didn’t ask but it seemed obvious that the boat or landing or some tackle shop are renting them out as “heavy gear”.

Upvote 0

terryc.

Mar 12, 2006
Chatsworth
Name
Terry
Boat
20 ft. Marlin cc
I saw a couple of guys with Seaforth rent rods with brand new TLD30's on them it worked but it hurt to watch there here and might chime in. I believe at least one had tore up a bearing. Bottom line is if its all ya got and you cant afford to upgrade do it.

Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    It’s designed for 30 k, 66 lbs. Those reels have killed a ton of fish. They have great free spool and can live bait too. Ignore the haters.

They have been known to have frame failures with heavy drag.

I say fuck it, go for it, blow that shit up or die trying.

Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    They’re great reels. There are better reels. Mine was loaned out to a friend on a private boat at Guadalupe. I was told it fished 80-150 lb yellow fin and wahoo non stop for 2 days with several dozen brought boat side. Still going strong.

If you want a designated cow killer I would look to an all metal reel. Even tiburon or willfish upgrades leave graphite on the bridge. They are great upgrades but I would put that $$ toward an all new reel.

My tld 30 always has a spot in the rack. Even if only as a troller. Their aftermarket value doesn’t make selling it worth it.

I fish an avet 4/0 pro and love it. After that it’s time for the international 50.

Reactions: kaelc
    D
    donovan2013
    Thank you for the feedback
    I seen a picture of a guy that landed a big bluefin the other day on a old school TLD 30 so that gave me a bit of hope and decently looking to upgrade that reel
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0