Older lx 4:1 shark side plate

Discussion in 'Avet Reels Support' started by north coast, Jul 16, 2016.

1. north coast

north coast Newbie

Name:
    kent
    Boat:
    north coast
    I have a couple of these.
    They have fished longer and harder than anything else I have owned . I catch a lot of fish and I'm very hard on reels. I can and do kill a lot of them in a season or two. These two lx's are simply bulletproof. I'd like to get a set of bearings for one of them but don't know the sizes.
    boca doesn't have reels this old listed .
    I've asked on avets website twice about this and a handle for one of these reels, crickets, both times.
    Maybe I'll have better luck here?
    Are bearings and a handle available for these reels ?

2. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Just order the bearings directly off the Avet website. As for a handle, that may be tough: Avet stopped making handles with the square hole quite a while ago.

3. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Whoops: I just went to the website and saw that they no longer list the LX 4.1. You'll need to call them. However, I do know that the older LX takes the same size pinion bearing was the newer models so you're fixed for the bearing at least...

4. north coast

north coast Newbie

Name:
    kent
    Boat:
    north coast
    Thanks for the reply.
    Looks like a phone call to them is my only solution here.
    Also looks like I'm going to have to get creative on the handle. I have a bunch of different handles here, but nothing comes close to fitting. It was an odd design with what was like a washer built into and part of the handle.
    I'm good at Mickey mousing stuff but this is going to be a challenge.
    Normally I'd just retire the reel but these two have been with me for a long time and are just too good to let go yet. :)

5. mike1010

mike1010 Member

Name:
    Michael
    Boat:
    none
    My experience with Avet has been that when the first line of support has issues (like getting over-saturated with parts orders), a phone call gets good results.

6. MARKEY220

MARKEY220 markey220

Name:
    marc
    Boat:
    21'proline w/a
    have always been pleased with the avet support.heck,years ago,i'd talk fishing with harry,or his brother,or scott after troubleshooting the problem.i agree north coast,i have a second generation avet lx.was going to sell it,but,i decided to hold on to it.

7. MARKEY220

MARKEY220 markey220

Name:
    marc
    Boat:
    21'proline w/a
    love my second generation lx 4:1.was for sale,decided to keep it.always was pleased with avet support.even spoke to the owners{harry,sarkis}a ways back for troubleshooting and to talk fishing.i own several avets,from sx-80 wide

IMG_0786.JPG

8. rroccor

rroccor Newbie

Name:
    Rocco Rampino
    Boat:
    21' Fishrite

9. rroccor

rroccor Newbie

Name:
    Rocco Rampino
    Boat:
    21' Fishrite
    I have several also, work horse, All mine have Alan Tani 4/0 handles. Alan may still make them.

10. Locke N Load

Locke N Load Newbie

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    friend's
    My first Avet was an original MXL. Must be 14 years ago now. Got it for the Stripers and football tunas that were around back then. The next year the tuna got bigger and the MXL was outgunned. So, I sold it to purchase an LX. That LX got used for a season or two until the newer version came out. Being a slight tackle snob and wanting the latest and greatest, I sold the LX for a second gen LX. You didn't happen to buy your LX off a guy in a parking lot in Woburn right off 93 did you? haha That LX got used for a season or two until those tuna got too big and I just threw in the towel and got a 50W.

I had the 50W for a while, but then my fishing buddies got 80's to commercial fish and the Avet sat unused. I sold the 50W and got an HX Raptor to jig tuna with when I wasn't with the commercial guys. Then I added an SX Raptor for the bass and smaller tuna. Now I am planning on adding a JX Raptor to fill in the gap. Thought about a G2, but got convinced to stay with a Raptor lineup.

When (if) I ever get my own boat, it will be a great excuse to get more Avets for a trolling/live bait spread.

11. MARKEY220

MARKEY220 markey220

Name:
    marc
    Boat:
    21'proline w/a

12. MARKEY220

MARKEY220 markey220

Name:
    marc
    Boat:
    21'proline w/a
    i bought mine new from cabbage key tackle,out of fla.his name is eddy.i also bought a couple of avet 80's off him.i also owned a couple of the first generation jx's from blue marlin chronicles,louis is the owner.the first generation had a square frame.