dtf

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 16, 2004
So. Bay Ca
Name
David
Boat
22ft, Pursuit
Can not remember the name of them, but they were a heavy hammered gold are crome lure. Ten years are so they were a very popular lure??

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    The hammered stainless steel is a true "secret" of the HOPKINS. Wahoo's teeth slide on this jig helping its deadly effectiveness. To increase your hook up ratio on this jig.... take a copper tube or plier for that matter and bend the hook tip in and slightly off angle for a better "bite". Works well.

By the way...."gold" whether the HOPKINS or the RAIDER. is a "must" for any LR trip. When the skinnies get that "lock jaw".... to the current familiar colors. .. thats the time to whip out that gold. I have seen it save SOOOOOO MANY trips. My personal advice....." DONT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT" or 3 - 4 for sure. The chrome works well too. A couple of those never hurt in the box either. Good luck brother.

P.S. The 6oz is the size to buy. Smaller 4 1/2 oz gets bit off more frequently due to its smaller length..... easier for the fish to mouth the whole thing in one bite..... just saying.

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    The front does not have a ring when you buy them. Small ring install suggested. You can also do good to upgrade the hook and split ring rear to solid ring from stock. I have a bunch of 600 but still like the 450.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
    Jul 10, 2003
    Orange County, CA
    Visit site
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Royal Polaris - sold the boat
    Hopkins Shorty Plain Lures - TackleDirect

I still have some of them, but have not tied one on in a lot of years.. The last time I used one, we were at Clarion (before the closures).. Cast it out, got a bad backlash.. (doh)... took me a while to clear my line.. at that point the jig was straight down.. I started to wind it in, got a hug strike. and then watched with concern while I was spooled on my 533 Newell. Need I say, I was not planning on hooking a tuna far larger than my wahoo gear could handle..

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Hopkins Shorty Plain Lures - TackleDirect

I still have some of them, but have not tied one on in a lot of years.. The last time I used one, we were at Clarion (before the closures).. Cast it out, got a bad backlash.. (doh)... took me a while to clear my line.. at that point the jig was straight down.. I started to wind it in, got a hug strike. and then watched with concern while I was spooled on my 533 Newell. Need I say, I was not planning on hooking a tuna far larger than my wahoo gear could handle..
    That is what they look like but not the wahoo model. Maybe good for skipjack.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Not my show anymore, I retired for quite a few reasons. Either Tim Turis or Tony Garza is running that trip. If you end up fishing PV, I’ll wave at ya 😀
    Speaking of PV, ran into Mike C. at the golf course. He said he was joining you on a trip. Haven’t seen him in a while, trip done or still scheduled?

Last edited:

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    I see six on ebay, 3 each 4 and 5 1/2 oz. $80 shipped.
    If ya gotta have them

falconer

Aug 17, 2006
    Spokane, Washington
    Name
    Doug Pineo
    Boat
    16 foot 1955 Crestliner
    Not my show anymore, I retired for quite a few reasons. Either Tim Turis or Tony Garza is running that trip. If you end up fishing PV, I’ll wave at ya 😀

Dave, Are you sayin' you quit fishing long range? It'd break my heart, even though we never met. I switched to rail rods with your advice, with good success.

Only constant is change, I guess.

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
    Oct 1, 2009
    Green Valley, Az
    Name
    Lou Salatich
    Boat
    none
    It has been apparent for quite some time that a lot of long rangers have quit fishing the LR boats since the Islands closed.
    If Mexico implements any more restrictions hampering the possibility of catching large tuna you can kiss the 15 day trips goodbye. Those that still want to catch cows will have to go to PV

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
    Apr 27, 2003
    US/Mexico
    Name
    Choate
    Boat
    Islander
    Dave, Are you sayin' you quit fishing long range? It'd break my heart, even though we never met. I switched to rail rods with your advice, with good success.

Only constant is change, I guess.
    I am planning on taking a sabbatical from construction, and going to work on a boat. Not a long range boat, at least it’s not one any longer. But it’s a great rig and I’m excited!