Old School vs New School on the Jig sticks! (Duplicate Report)

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Fishingguy, May 21, 2010.

1. Fishingguy

Fishingguy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    Hi guys,

I have a lot to learn from the fisherman around me. I am always observing the people I fish with in order to better my skills and learn from them and share it with others. One thing I have always been fascinated with was throwing the "iron"

Well, the fish were biting at Catalina, but unfortunately I just could not gather some guys up to go fish them midweek and come around the weekend, we have bad weather :( So I tried to do the best that I could and see if there were guys that wanted to go kill some local cuda.

If you guys would like to go on any of these open party trips, please sign up on my website to get email notifications at Spectra Sportfishing :: Southern California Charter Fishing or just call me at 562-266-6228.

Any who...... The biggest thing I noticed on this trip was the extreme difference in jig stick styles. As I was loading up the boat, I looked up at the rod rack and noticed all new style reels and rods on one side and all old school gear on the right side. I have no opinion on whats better than the other, I just think its up to the angler and his skills to work the jig.

So I just wanted to observe through out the day, which produced better....

Here are the pics...

Shimano Trinidad 16 Narrow w/ 9ft Shimano Calcutta jig stick
    Shimano Trinidad 16 Narrow w/ 9ft Shimano Calcutta Jig Stick, all spectra short topshot of 30 mono
    Shimano Trinidad 16 DC w/ 9ft Shimano Calcutta Jig stick , all 30lb mono

and

Not sure of the model Newells, with 10 foot Super seeker Ulua Stick
    another newell on some "harnell" rods

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Long story short, at the end of the day, it was a near 50 50 draw on which produced more...and it was more in the angler than it was the jig stick.....

I personally got to throw a 10 foot stick for the first time.....and it was damn nice... It got me that extra distance to let me work more surface area per cast. I was also paying attention to what jigs the guys were using. I could see anglers trying to find out what color worked best but at the end of the day, we all concluded that it was not the color that mattered but simply the "kick" of the lure.

And Im sure many of you can reach this conclusion as well, that it is not so much the color sometimes, but more in the action of the lure. So keep note of that!

Either way, both got the job done and it was nice to play with both. The fish bit both the Mega Bait and the iron, and they loved the big iron. Paul was an animal on his 10 footer and newell.

We limited out in a few hours and went over to load up on some taco meat as well.

Sorry for the duplicate report, but just wanted to put in my 2 cents on what I observed today.

Hot breakfast on the way out:
    [​IMG]

Avg Cuda:
    [​IMG]

The fleet
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mix-A-Lot

Mix-A-Lot JC-Castings

Name:
    Jesse
    Boat:
    28' Bayliner
    My opinion a rod is good until it snaps. I have had rods since I was 9 years old and im turning 40 July 26. I do keep adding only to have muliti set-ups. The fish don't care what is in your hand, its whats at the end of the line.

Awesome report!

See ya on the water!

3. BigJack

BigJack Newbie

Name:
    jack
    Boat:
    24' fiber form
    what are the black spots on that slime cod?

4. Fishingguy

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    This was answered on the other post. Some bocas have melanistic dark blotches. It's just a skin discoloration from abnormal pigmentation. There are even a few bright red bocas out there. Doesn't affect the meat or harm the fish.

5. UnReel

UnReel Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    You couldn't say it anyway
    Boat:
    24' Skipjack open "UnReel"
    Nice job on the slug cuda Billy. Cool report and rod/reel info. Sorry you couldn't round up guys for a Cat trip. Sounds like they have been biting but quietly ;) :D .Also I recognize the guy in the second to last picture. Get my fish food from him at Strickly Fish in Lakewood.

6. PLUNKER

PLUNKER Newbie

Name:
    Curt
    Boat:
    26 blackman billfisher
    What amazes me is, no matter how far you throw a jig, you always seem to get bit 30ft from the boat

7. umoa

umoa silent

Name:
    jimmy
    Boat:
    18' starcraft "big knockers"
    fuck if i knew you were going out on a one day that didn't overlap on monday or friday... :( i'll get you next week.

8. Wintek

Wintek Newbie

Name:
    Peter
    Boat:
    N/A
    This makes sense to me.

Is there a way to look at a jig hanging on the rack at the store and know if it will have the potential to "kick"?

More importantly, how would you describe what to look for as the jig is swimming? In other words, what do I look for as I'm retrieving the jig so I know if I'm doing it right?

9. PaDDy Killer'

PaDDy Killer' Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Patrick
    Boat:
    Parker 2520 & 17' Whaler
    Great report Billy

10. Farmed It

Farmed It Newbie

Name:
    Gabe
    Boat:

when I look for a new jig I look for the top hole to be big or off center. Also, buy the effed up ones THEY WORK! I am convinced that color has very little to do with it. I have an old tady from when they took over the candybar jigs and put a few out, the thing has maybe a one square inch left of paint and it still kills fish! The more movement the better, wide zig-zags.
    Eh.. thats my opinion and what works for me, maybe you will find something different works.
    Goin to try it out tomorrow! Can't wait!!

11. got2fishsd

got2fishsd Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Maritime 20d
    After working on the boats for a couple of seasons I learned I have a lot to learn.

The one thing I think I learned is the color dosnt matter it is the way the jig swims. I have some old jigs that have almost no color left and they kill fish.

12. svue

svue I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Vue
    Boat:
    Everglade 290
    I used a regular stainless table spoon with a treble hook and it works great too.
    Wish I could've been there.

13. DOGHOUSE26

DOGHOUSE26 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jeff meeker
    Boat:
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    That last pic is full of surface slime and bottom slime; if you put them in the same cooler does one contaminate the other?

14. fords4life

fords4life Diesel Dragger

Name:
    Nathaniel
    Boat:
    A Big One, Someday
    I love the megabaits. Pretty much my go to for cuda and bonita. I have nailed plenty of bonita on the slide with the megabait and lots of cuda up top with it. I'm just glad I had a nice little stock of them before they went under.

15. Fishingguy

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    I have no idea what each would contaminate each other with?

I too have the same results you do and I have a little inventory of them as well.

16. harryo

harryo harryo

Name:
    Harry Okuda
    Boat:
    sold
    Hey Billy, thanks for the supplement. Damn those bocas are humongous. I'd like to go 1/2 day for fish like that. In all my experience, I've thrown 10'ers from 540s to the ulua sticks. It is all in how much you can load up on the rod. I've given my ulua stick to junior, who can load it up properly. The ulua takes a lot of strength & snap to adequately load it up. In my old age, I just don't have the snap to launch the jig.
    I'm back to my old 540, it is easier to load for me although the ulua loaded properly will fire the iron further. My 2 cents. Seaya!
    harryo

17. dalurker

dalurker old skool rules

Name:
    #%^&) !!!
    Boat:
    my blood vessel
    well billy, where to start...

JMHO:

THE 10'rs
    much like Harry said, a lot has to do with how the rod loads. with the new technology a lot of the rods are now designed to do what the old skool sticks do except with lighter materials. Seeker made a few rods that duplicated the Trulines and call 'em D8's just to name one. there are others too. a good custom rod builder can build a stick to mimic or bend the way one would like. i left my Ulua a full 10ft so it will be able to throw smaller irons if need be. i also made it so i can easily cut the tip if i don't like it, but so far there's no need.

The Iron
    i strongly feel the percentages of catching a larger fish will come on a larger iron. a hero or zero kinda thing. of course there's luck and the exception to the rule involved here. first and paramount of course is how well the iron swims. 2ndly will be color. i have already proven it to myself many times where color does play an important part. 3rdly ~ sometimes the gar want a wobble, sometimes they want a kick, sometimes they want fast, sometimes slow. so a variety of irons become necessary. the one you have the most faith in is a good way to start, but be observant "as you were" and note what's happening.
    the iron in the pic is a PL-68 light converted to a single hook. it has caught some biggies. i wanted to get a biggie and you saw how i couldn't hold the spool and dump that monster! eh, so i went to a smaller jig to keep 'em comin' over the rail. I dumped so many fish... sorry... i was a bit rusty...

The Reel
    New school reels are great. my preference is constituted by maintenance. local fishing reels don't have to be metal. low maintenance reels such as Newells or Penns, or the SL Daiwa will suffice. All these reels have sufficient stopping power and for snot sticks, what's drag? lol!! :rofl::rofl: The Newell in the pic is a "Newell Blackie Series 332". A rather old Newell and is fished purely for nostalgia and because at that time, they had nicer tolerances. they did have their flaws too though.

So Billy, that's the jest of it in my world!

there are multiple reasons for throwing 10ft'r too. at the wall, i'll swing 10'rs because i'm not young 'n fast to stroke like a sombitch so with a 10'r i can pull short but the rod will pull long due to its length which will allow more room for error on my part.

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  18. Fishingguy

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    Paul,

Thank you for the elaborate response. Im sure that information will be useful to many reading it. I myself still have so much to learn. I truly believe slingin the iron is an art. Just because you can throw it does not mean you know how to work it.

19. fords4life

fords4life Diesel Dragger

Name:
    Nathaniel
    Boat:
    A Big One, Someday
    This is one reason why I'm hoping to get on more trips this year with guys who throw the iron....I love to throw it, but have a LOT to learn still. One thing I always try to do is keep an eye on the iron as it comes to the boat and adjust my speed to make the iron swim as much as possible. If it doesn't look like it's swimming much, I cut it off and tie on another.

20. dalurker

dalurker old skool rules

Name:
    #%^&) !!!
    Boat:
    my blood vessel
    you're off to the perfect start!! Bravo to you! some guys will wire 'em for that added little extra advantage. i'll just ebay 'em... line weight plays a part too. the lighter the line, the better they swim but then you can lose 'em too!:finger: