Old school skippy or modern outboard boat

V20norcal

May 17, 2021
chico ca
Name
Brian O
Boat
wellcraft v20
Looking to up grade this winter, would love to get some input. Currently running a Wellcraft V20 mercruiser combo. This was my introduction to inshore boating about 5 years ago. It has its limitations and I'm ready to upgrade and up size.
So first off budget; 30 to 40k is my parameters, boat must trailer friendly as it will only be slipped 2 to 3 months a year.
I want be able to head south in the colder months and also be able to fish Fort Bragg, inshore and off shore summer.
Pull rig is a 2500 with cummins.

So here it is, I love the old school skipjack's. I've been looking at the 25 fishermen, 25 sportcruiser and even the 28 all with diesel power. The boats were made to fish the waters i fish and the way I like to fish.
Or I'm better off spending that money on something more modern. I like the idea of a 24ft walk around with a single outboard and kicker. I'm seeing more of this combo.

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
I wouldn’t rule out anything that fits the bill. Old skipjacks are still great boats, just make sure it’s in good shape. Lots of guys seem to prefer outboards over I/O’s, but a well taken care of I/O will last a long time. Look at the Volvo 280. They don’t break often

Reactions: repo805 and pete j
Upvote 0

skipjack

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Oct 20, 2004
    santa maria
    Name
    skip
    Boat
    2320 Parker "Donna Marie"
    Most newer boats have a wider beam than the older Skipjacks,
    that’s about the only difference.

Upvote 0

V20norcal

May 17, 2021
    chico ca
    Name
    Brian O
    Boat
    wellcraft v20
    I guess 5 years of up keep and repairs on an old i/o has got me wondering. I know I should not compare my gasser with a diesel, but at the end of the day your still standing on your head reaching into confined spaces when repairs are need.

Reactions: pete j
    Upvote 0

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 12, 2006
    Glendora Ca
    Name
    Leon
    Boat
    28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
    I understand the desire to get bigger been through it a few times myself, however the V20 is a amazing hull.
    In today's market 30-40K is a bit short for a newer boat of quality.

Upvote 0

V20norcal

May 17, 2021
    chico ca
    Name
    Brian O
    Boat
    wellcraft v20
    I think the 2 most important reason for up size is safety and I want to do more overnights.
    The the little V20 has served me well, but not much of a cabin with all that bow flar!
    When I say more modern I was thinking low time four stoke form the 2000 era. Has there really been any technological advancements that would render a vessel of this time period obsolete?

Upvote 0

Cheech

Sep 11, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    Name
    Jeff Cheechov
    Boat
    Skipjack 24FB, AD41P diesel
    The 24-25-26 foot Skippies are much more comfortable and overnight capable. That means running early or all night with crew resting below and covering a lot of water. That’s tough duty on a walk around. Ive had two Skippies and we like the FB with a bimini and isenglass enclosure. Cozy in rough conditions. Open it up when its sunny and nice. Gas vs diesel turns into an endless debate. We’ve had both. I really like our VP AD41P.

Reactions: Arima-bob
    Upvote 0

V20norcal

May 17, 2021
    chico ca
    Name
    Brian O
    Boat
    wellcraft v20
    Want to thank everyone thus far for their input, I believe the years of wisdom on this site will help me make thee best educated decision.
    Can't help but feel as a novice saltwater captain, if caught returning to port in a rough sea the skippy would help my confidence some. Just knowing that however nasty i think the sea is at the time, the well made 40+ year old boat has most likely seen worse.

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    Want to thank everyone thus far for their input, I believe the years of wisdom on this site will help me make thee best educated decision.
    Can't help but feel as a novice saltwater captain, if caught returning to port in a rough sea the skippy would help my confidence some. Just knowing that however nasty i think the sea is at the time, the well made 40+ year old boat has most likely seen worse.
    Them old skippies have been known to navigate through some nasty slop. I’m pretty sure they can handle more than we’re willing to deal with. Bang for buck, an old Skipjack is a good choice, just find one that’s been well loved. I’ve found a lot that have been badly neglected, but there’s still lots of gems out there.

On a side note, a lot of neglected skipjacks can help keep a slightly neglected skippy going strong.

Upvote 0

Dragon

It is what it is...
    May 24, 2006
    SLO Co.
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
    There are a few in the classified right now. I was talking to a guy that I was considering buying a boat from in SD. He was a Boat Whore and had owned many boats. Radons included. He swore by the 25' Fisherman pound for pound the best riding sea worthy 25' boat you can have? I saw a 25' on Craigslist last night dont remember what city. SF to SD is what I was browsing. Could have been LA or OC...GL

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    In that budget, I would go I/O -- you will get more for your money. Also, if you are mechanically inclined, you can do most (or all) of the engine work yourself on an inboard, especially if its based on a small block chevy. Conversely, outboards seem to be almost throw aways -- if it breaks significantly it is time for a new motor. And you probably won't be able to do the work yourself, at least not effectively. It is hard to argue with the comment above that if the IO needs work you have your head stuck into a small space, but if the outboard needs work, and you are at sea, access will be even more challenging.

Reactions: pete j
    Upvote 0

V20norcal

May 17, 2021
    chico ca
    Name
    Brian O
    Boat
    wellcraft v20
    There are a few diesel powered skippys on the web right now, though the rest of my funds don't arrive until the end of the year.
    Ever since my saltwater transition it been a dream of mine to be able to leave the harbor pre-dawn (safely) , set the auto pilot and go!
    As it is now ,don't think I would, even with radar. My boat feels particularly small when I leave the break water at Fort bragg 😟

Upvote 0

V20norcal

May 17, 2021
    chico ca
    Name
    Brian O
    Boat
    wellcraft v20
    Those we a couple of good points you brought up MY Nomad.
    Not sure i would be able to afford 30k repower down the road!

Upvote 0

V20norcal

May 17, 2021
    chico ca
    Name
    Brian O
    Boat
    wellcraft v20
    No military, work for myself. No family, just a deep desire to out wit a fish and an old dog that doesn't get sea sick.

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
    May 11, 2007
    You're mined!
    www.csicop.org
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    25' or 26' Skipjack if you want to fish 4 people.

Upvote 0

Windy Bay

Aug 2, 2008
    Elkton, OR
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    2 Skipjack Sports Cruisers both under construction
    Upvote 0

V20norcal

May 17, 2021
    chico ca
    Name
    Brian O
    Boat
    wellcraft v20
    Going to try tempest, never used it.
    That is a good looking 25, I believe Montague is right on the california/Oregon border.
    I'm about 2 hours north of sf bay, so that drive is not far, maybe 3 hr.
    When I'm ready to pull the trigger, distance is not a concern. I have a very economical pull rig, no family to be home at night.
    I would rather drive 2 days for exactly what I want, rather than take what is convenient or close to home.
    Next boat will be kind of a retirement boat and I will fish it many years😊

Upvote 0

Windy Bay

Aug 2, 2008
    Elkton, OR
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    tempest is not the most user-friendly to navigate, but I'll learn.
    I just put skipjack in the search for, don't select a category, search for 2000 miles, and I get most of the US. Most of the time I get good results. Also there are times when someone puts Skip Jack, and those don't show up.

Jun 25, 2020
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    I just put skipjack in the search for, don't select a category, search for 2000 miles, and I get most of the US. Most of the time I get good results. Also there are times when someone puts Skip Jack, and those don't show up.

If you add the vertical bar "|" by pressing shift and the key above "enter" simultaneously, you can search for multiple terms in the same search. It would look like this:
    skipjack | skip jack

Reactions: Windy Bay
    Upvote 0

Windy Bay

Aug 2, 2008
    Elkton, OR
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    If you add the vertical bar "|" by pressing shift and the key above "enter" simultaneously, you can search for multiple terms in the same search. It would look like this:
    I tried this in searchtempest and I did not get results for skipjack. Also got hundreds of results for cars and such.

Upvote 0

Kwohlers8

Anchor Point
    Dec 1, 2012
    Fortuna CA
    Name
    Kris
    Boat
    25' Skipjack Fisherman "Anchor Point"
    If you’re ever in Humboldt, you are more than welcome to jump on my 25 Fisherman. It’s not for sale, but would give you an idea how they ride and perform. It sounds like you must be in the Ukiah area.