sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
Sep 8, 2013
Orange County
Name
Scott
Boat
I wish...as in, I wish I had a boat.
I found an older model avet LX and wanted to know if it would be worth buying. I heard they can have anti-reverse issues and bad bearings; so my concern is, can the anti-reverse mechanism be upgraded or would I be stuck with whatever comes in the reel?

It is the reel with a ledge on the sideplate, not the rounded sideplate, and has the shark emblem on it.

Thanks for any input.

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    If you fish it as a 30# class reel, you'll be OK. They do have suspect anti-reverses, but they hold up with about 10# of drag or less. The same with the bearings: It was the pinion bearing that always went out but that was usually from too much drag and/or corrosion. That happens with **all** lever drag reels. Too much drag and you'll fry the pinion and too much salt inside will lead to corrosion.

Derfsondeck

DUMBASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    May 28, 2006
    Ventura
    Name
    Fred
    Boat
    Poopshoot
    They suck

bbuck

Dec 20, 2005
    On the Water
    Name
    Buck
    Boat
    sunk
    I found an older model avet LX and wanted to know if it would be worth buying. I heard they can have anti-reverse issues and bad bearings; so my concern is, can the anti-reverse mechanism be upgraded or would I be stuck with whatever comes in the reel?

It is the reel with a ledge on the sideplate, not the rounded sideplate, and has the shark emblem on it.

Thanks for any input.

If you can get it for less then $100. it's a good buy IMO. By all means take or UPS it to Avet. They will service the reel and replace all bearings and do necessary updates at a very reasonable price. When this is done you should get 11 to 13 pounds of drag at strike with free spool, which will allow you to fish 40# line with confidence.

sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
    Sep 8, 2013
    Orange County
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Thanks for the info guys.

Trying to get it for $80, will not pay more than that. Seller says it is new, unused.
    $80 will allow me to do upgrades or fix any possible issues and still feel like I got a good deal.

egarratt

Aug 11, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Eddie G
    Boat
    None
    Get a good used 2-Speed LX. I got a couple for around $200 a while back. Then you will have all the advantages - ability to fish 30 or 40 #, more drag, etc.

sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
    Sep 8, 2013
    Orange County
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Thanks for the info. If I get the reel, I plan to use it as a 25# setup, 30# at most, so it would work for me. I am not a fan of pushing a reel above its line class just because it can do it (sometimes quite well), I'd rather take a 50# reel and use 40# on it. All components last longer and you have extra drag in reserve. Just my opinion,

A 2-speed would be nice, no doubt, I have just found them unnecessary for local stuff; SD local is much different than LA local, your local is a 2-day'er for us.

Get a good used 2-Speed LX. I got a couple for around $200 a while back. Then you will have all the advantages - ability to fish 30 or 40 #, more drag, etc.

Epp

Feb 19, 2011
    Santee, CA
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    none
    had an old school one the dog always let go sent it back to avet and they fixed it , that happened 2-3 times then is was good i got a lot of fish on that reel
    if you can get it for around 80 go for it but i would save and get a newer one much better reels good luck

glasscutter

Jan 11, 2006
    hawthorne beach usa
    Name
    mig
    Boat
    25 bellboy glasscutter
    I have two of them one was repaired by Avet twice worked one time.The other went this weekend on a nice yellow.Just loved getting slapped by that handle.So anybody want this for parts $50.00.Ordered a new one they upgraded them and work alot better i hear.

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    I inherited mine, how can I tell if it's old school? It has a tuna on the left side plate.
    yup that's an old one...I have one that's 12 years old now and the only problem is the clicker is very very light

NachoOne

Not your normal Nachos
    May 8, 2009
    So Cal., CA. USA
    Name
    Nacho
    Boat
    Long Gone
    A 500 JigMaster will kill anything in local waters. Mine is on loan to a friend, but it has caught many of those little tunas running around now! Good luck in your decision. Wait, I have to tell the truth, I sold all my Avets from SXs to 50Ws and everyone of the 20 Avets I owned.

GotMojo

Almost A Member
    Jul 25, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    A 500 JigMaster will kill anything in local waters. Mine is on loan to a friend, but it has caught many of those little tunas running around now! Good luck in your decision. Wait, I have to tell the truth, I sold all my Avets from SXs to 50Ws and everyone of the 20 Avets I owned.

What did you
    yup that's an old one...I have one that's 12 years old now and the only problem is the clicker is very very light

Clicker is tight on mine too.

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    no I meant light not tight.....it barely keeps the spool from backlashing even if just pulling off line to thread through the rod guides

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
    Sep 18, 2006
    Costa Mesa, Cailf
    Name
    Walt
    Boat
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
    Have one of the older JX models. My advice is to buy it and send it to AVet for the upgrades. The big advantage
    with the older JX models is they have 4:! gearing. Just try and find a single speed machined Aluminum reel
    today with that gear ratio.....impossible. Perfect for fishing the bait. Landed a 68 lb. Blue fin early this tuna
    season with my JX, no problems. 40 spectra, 40 fluoro and a 5/0 circle to a nose hooked sardine.
    Long soak w/4oz of wt. 4 ft. from hook.