Old school AVET LX 4.1:1 Specs?

Discussion in 'Avet Reels Support' started by Pablo2fish, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Pablo2fish

Pablo2fish Run N Gun

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Sold it! Can't we just take yours?
    Some time ago I acquired an old AVET LX 4.1:1 reel. I have no idea what the specs are for it. How much 65 braid will it hold? What is the drag at strike? More important what is the max drag? I have read that some of the old AVET reels had problems with the bearings and the anti reverse failing. I don't want to push the old girl too hard and have something fail during a tough fight.
    upload_2017-2-6_13-31-38.png

2. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    The LX 4.1 is best thought of as a 30# reel, and pushing strike drag past about 10# is going to create problems. It has the same line capacity as a Penn Jigmaster 500. As for the bearings: The pinion bearing did go out frequently because people pushed the drag far too much; for example, I saw many people up here loading them with straight 80# and fishing Alaska halibut. Not going to work. The anti-reverse problem was fixed with a slightly heavier dog spring -- but even that problem was mitigated if you fished the reel like it was meant to be fished, with moderate drag. Fished correctly, the old LX is a nice reel.

3. Locke N Load

Locke N Load Newbie

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    friend's
    Drag is 15 at Strike and 20 at Full, but like AKSalmon stated, fish it a little under that so the bearing does not get crushed. As long as the handle turns easily at Strike, you are good. Line capacity is the same as current. Line retrieval is a little less due to the 4.1:1 than the current 4.6:1. It does have a noisier dog than current models, but still a great reel. Use it as it was designed and it will treat you well.