Old Penn 49 super mariner

Discussion in 'Fishing Reels' started by steelfish, Jul 6, 2009.

1. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    One good old friend gave me this reel that was forgotten on his basement for some years.
    so, I cleaned and lube it but it seems like the drag is fried or something is wrong with it because if I close the drag totally I can still take line from it with out much effort, someone knows which drags i need to buy that will fit this reel and if it worth the money to have it like new again?
    also with kind of # of drag is found in this kind of reels?

[​IMG]
    sorry for the quality of the pic.

my idea is to use it for trolling and for deep sea bottom fishing with 40-50# line

thanks in advance.

PD: why it has two levers? one is to free-spool, but the other one?

2. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    The drag washers you want are Penn HT-100 6-49. These reels are still quite popular in Alaska. They were originally designed for wire line trolling. The second lever is to turn off the anti-reverse. They have quite a bit of drag but a few common problems: The old steel spools go out of round all too often (especially if you use mono), and if you push them too hard the gear sleeve will get fried. I think you'll be OK with 40# if you keep the drag at about 10# or less. Penn stopped making them about 5 years ago and parts are both expensive and getting hard to find.

3. Whalebreath

Whalebreath Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Carl Z
    Boat:
    You're not kidding I found one locally for a friend and he said he didn't care he wanted it serviced to Like New condition.

So I sent it to Mike's Reel Repair and that started a long song and dance that went on for months.:shithappens:

In the end he got what he wanted but for my money there are a lot of better performing reels, the short handles on the Penns are a PITA for instance.

4. AKSalmon

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Penn is backordered on drag washers and main gears. If you have a good one, you can replace the stock 24-49 handle with a 24-56 handle. But then you'll definitely need a steel gear sleeve fro Alan Tani which costs $20 or so. If you replace the spool with a new aluminum model, you need to replace the bridge as well -- or grind down the bridge plate on your old one. I have several for sale in my shop. They go quickly largely, I think, because they are a tradition in SE Alaska.

5. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    actually, the only videos I've found in youtube of this reel are from people using it in Alaska fishing BIIIG halibuts and it seems like they did a good job there.
    thanks for your answer

that's why I asked here in the first place, thanks for the reply
    mi amigo.

man...!! what about if I only get new drag washers?

I wanted as a back up reel only or for friends, I'm more into small compact reels like saltist 30TH, penn 501 and 506, you see my biggest reel is a sealine 250 mag LOL, so this penn 49 mariner will be used only in few cases, so, is not my idea to expend much money on it

regards to Alaska

6. Lex

Lex Newbie

Name:
    Alexi
    Boat:
    None
    you have to open it up. the drags are probably melted together OR there isnt enough of the drag stack, drag washers and metal washers, inside the gear to be able to put the full power of the drag in use. i have 4 of the 149 models and one i picked up from a guy who said "havent used it in 10 years but its flawless". opened it up to find a drag stack entirely made of plastic washers. a-hole

go to pennparts.com

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  7. AKSalmon

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    The 49 and 149 are very different reels: The 149 has the same drags as a Squidder -- three dime size washers-- while the 49 has three washers about the same size as a 114H or 115. The 149 also has a 2 to 1 retrieve ratio while the 49 as a 3.5 to 1 retrieve ratio. Also, the 49 is much stronger and has two beauty rings on each side while the 149 has only one on each size.

8. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless

I have also an old senator 113 black 4/0 that is 2 to 1 ratio but is still strong I really don't use it at all because of the slow ratio, can I swap drag washers between this both reels?
    or better then.. where I can buy this Penn HT-100 6-49 drag washers from?

thanks in advance for your help

9. old salt

old salt master baiter

Name:
    mark
    Boat:
    salty woodward 18. anderson 26 "Kiwi Magic"
    i have a 49m flawless barely used in the orig. box with paperwork and a 1956 catalog.was my grandmas wire line salmon reel .anybody interested.can get some pics if anyone would like pm me

10. AKSalmon

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    The black 113 has much smaller drag washers than the 49. They are the same size as the 149. The 113 is a stronger reel than the 149 but has the same retrieve and same drag capacity.

11. AKSalmon

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    You will get some interest in your 49 w/ box on eBay. But it has a steel or chromed bass spool and these are notorious for going out of round. I wouldn't recommend it as something to fish, at least not with mono. It will also need a HT-100 drag upgrade because 1956 reels used leather drags.

12. Keta

Keta Ignorant Sheep Farmer

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    3' Too Short
    I never liked the 49L or the 149 for halibut but I had 349's and fished the shit out of them. Too bad Penn quit making parts for them.

13. Dave Mount

Dave Mount Newbie

Name:
    Dave Mount
    Boat:
    None
    You might just sand the glaze off the fiber drags & clean all the metal drag parts with brake cleaner. Works for me .

14. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    thanks dave

I will try that before order new drag washers, (just because have them ship to Mexico can be PITA some times).