Old Mystery Blanks

zbass

Nov 14, 2015
Santa Barbara
Name
Conner
Boat Name
none
A friend of mine gifted me a few rod blanks, knowing that wrapping has become a bit of an obsession of mine now.

For the most part, they are unmarked and it's a bit of a mystery to me what make/models they might be
I was wondering if anyone out there would have any ideas on what they might be.
Either way I'll still wrap 'em up and fish them till they don't fish no more.

"Shiny Blank"
6'2"
tip is about 4.5mm
butt is about 18mm
Glossy brown, with some bumpy fiberglass texture, and maybe is delaminating slightly? In the light the seems in the glass look pretty apparent.

Matte Blank
5'5"
tip is about 4.5mm
Butt is about 20mm
Smooth matte chocolate brown
Does have some numbering: 10809 maybe?? Kind of hard to read.

Both rods feel like I'll fish 25 lb on em?
Both are pretty thin walled.
And at the butt they both have this crinkly unfinished looking edge. Maybe I'll trim that before wrapping?

Anyways, I know there are many guys out there much more knowledgeable than I am on these things. so all thoughts appreciated.
And if the mystery remains unsolved? No worries, I'll be out there trying to catch some kind of fish on them soon enough.
Thanks!

20220531_081156_HDR.jpg

20220531_081226_HDR.jpg

20220531_081259_HDR.jpg

20220531_081338_HDR.jpg

20220531_081611_HDR.jpg

20220531_174627_HDR.jpg

Upvote 0

zbass

Nov 14, 2015
Santa Barbara
Name
Conner
Boat Name
none
Wow, you guys are way good at this!
Thanks for the input!
Those pics look just my shorter blank, very cool!

Another question I might have would be whether or not the shiny-er of the two blanks, that shows some flaking at the seams, would be structurally sound. If it's a total lost cause I might not wrap that one, but if there's a chance it'll fish, then game on!

Thanks again y'all

Upvote 0

Mtnfshr

I Should Upgrade My Account
Nov 20, 2011
Thornton
Name
Chuck Mc
Boat Name
none
I would build them both, and fish them both. I'm thinking the shorter blank was probably designed to be a freshwater bass rod for fishing plastic worms, back in the day. That was when BASS was in it's infancy and Garcia Conolon rods were the shiznit. Or so it was thought. They had a great reputation and were a good value. Their dark brown, Deluxe Series used better components than the other lines they sold.

Reactions: zbass
Upvote 0