harddrive

Wish I Was Fishing!
Sep 9, 2004
West LA
Name
Min
Boat
None
Looks like the boat is an overnight boat and people going on those trips don't expect to catch a marlin on those trips. I'm sure who ever hooked it, the fish most likely was a fish of a life time. I mean, I would have released the fish but if it's legal it's their choice and they wanted it. Why not...

On another note, I've fished on trips down Baja on the Intrepid. We'd had wide open marlin fishing where every bait in the water was a marlin all released safely. :D

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
why is it so often the Long Range Guys, who get a bone up their ass when someone kills a Marlin.

And go ahead, give me the "Lame" comment vote. LOL

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
why is it so often the Long Range Guys, who get a bone up their ass when someone kills a Marlin.

No kidding huh! LOL

I've never quite figured out what it is about marlin that get some people so worked up. Ok wait..... actually I have, as it just seems to be something with certain big fish that make some lose there senses.

It's funny cause they are not commercial fished...... cant be sold in local markets, and in reality very few are ever kept, with many (most) released. I've released plenty and will continue to do so and am stoked at those who do, but it's a game fish, and a very gamey one in that. They put on one hell of a fight on 30# test with an incredible areal display! They are soooo bitchen to fish when done by sight fishing and tossing a bait, and regardless of what some have been brainwashed to think, they are incredible when smoked (I call it fish candy!!). I've had marlin tacos as well that were insane!!!

I will never knock a person that releases fish...... that is straight up cool in my book. But this crazy notion for no good reason at all that marlin hold some sacred vibe and should all be released is pure garbage.

The unknown fisherman:p:

Reactions: Professor
Upvote 0

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none

Actually I think you're knocking the wrong guys. Long rangers consider marlin to be junk fish. We might catch a few if we're bored but for the most part we could care less about them unless they interfere with good fish.

Reactions: $norkle and Olddog8
Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
Actually I think you're knocking the wrong guys. Long rangers consider marlin to be junk fish. We might catch a few if we're bored but for the most part we could care less about them unless they interfere with good fish.

I may have mispoke. I retract that statement about it being "often" long range guys. But i will leave it up there an take my licks. :)

Upvote 0

harddrive

Wish I Was Fishing!
Sep 9, 2004
West LA
Name
Min
Boat
None
Totally. The LR guys don't want marlin. We have ran away from big schools of marlin, they keep taking your bait and jumping all over the place causing tangles gets annoying. Also their bills and the job it does on the fluoro leader costing $.

Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    I've eaten marlin. Might not have been the striped variety, or from local waters, but...

...one mans deceased is another man's feast. Don't hate on what gets ate!

OP should give his lobster or next barndoor halibut to the same homeless shelter. Spoil them until they don't want "second rate fish". Any marlin I've tried was as good or better than high-class fish that weren't well cared for prior to cooking.

Lime-Mustard Marlin Marinade

4 - 8 oz Marlin steaks
    1/4 cup shoyu (soy & wheat soy sauce)
    1 3/4 tsps. Lime zest
    3 tbsp. Fresh lime juice
    2 cloves garlic-minced
    1 tbsp. Ginger root - minced
    2 tsp. Dijon mustard
    3 tbsp. Peanut oil
    4 tbsp. Green onion, chopped
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Combine all ingredients and blend well. Pour over Marlin
    steaks and marinate under refrigeration for at least one
    hour. Remove from marinade. Broil or grill approximately
    3-4 minutes per side. Serves 4.

Upvote 0

brice

Feb 9, 2006
    Santee
    Name
    brice
    Boat
    Grady 226
    and i i bet superzoo would kill 10 bft, 10 yft and 10 albacore on an overnight in us waters if given the chance.

get a clue dude.

Reactions: capnjackv
    Upvote 0

capnjackv

Jan 13, 2006
    San Diego, San Pedro
    Name
    Jack
    Boat
    Viking 57,Hatteras 52, Viking 65, Proline 27
    You can have any opinion/ethic you want about catching or releasing fish. Striped Marlin are not endangered. Blacks and Blues are very good eating, and the Short Billed Spearfish is excellent. Stripers are OK. But why is it that there isn't that much furor about small or very large Threshers and small or very large Makos? Is it because they are Sharks? Not so "majestic" or good looking? (They sure taste good) I guess it depends on whose propaganda you buy. Everyone should just STFU and fish. Just don't waste fish.

Are you kidding me. Large sharks get the biggest shit show going on this board. Just try keeping a large mako for any reason and post it on here. There have been many threads on the big mako subject that always get closed down over the furor it causes. I have kept a few monster makos and actually had people on other sites posting they wanted to kill us. I think you and I agree on the keeping of fish, but please don't try to make the argument that sharks don't have the largest following of libtard nut cases who never want to see one killed.

Upvote 0

capnjackv

Jan 13, 2006
    San Diego, San Pedro
    Name
    Jack
    Boat
    So much Ignorance in the original posters thread it is disturbing!!

I try to keep an even keel with most replies I disagree with, but this guy is a Donkey! I'm all for anybody that wishes to release anything, and am actually stoked whenever I see it, but what a classless and rude post this guy put up.

Endangered...... Oh brother (roll eyes!!!!). I swear, some people often have this strange hard on for big fish with big eyes. They hardly give a rats ass about other little fish, but when it becomes a marlin, an Opah or something similar, some people get all goo goo over the whole thing.

The guys that release them are great...... and the guys that decide to keep one once in a while and put it to good use are just as cool. The striped marlin fishery is just fine and not endangered!

Lookout, because if I get a chance to do a few marlin trips before September ends, and I end up getting one, then it's coming home and going in the smoker.

The unknown fisherman:p:

It is certainly a big fish thing, or big animal of any kind actually, Whales, elephant, polar bear, white shark, large mako, doesn't matter what it is, if its large people have some weird fascination with it. The always think they are beautiful, majestic, magical, super intelligent, etc, etc., etc. and always endangered.

Upvote 0

capnjackv

Jan 13, 2006
    San Diego, San Pedro
    Name
    Jack
    Boat
    I'd like to know what the original poster would do if he caught a swordfish. Would you keep it? Far more rare than a striped marlin but no one on a San Diego sportfisher would release one. I know I wouldn't.

You can say that again. Believe me I spend quite a few days with gyros and spotter plane looking for stupid swordfish and I would have to agree that the population is certainly in a down cycle. You are also right that every knucklehead on here that wants to release the "rare" marlin or the "rare and endangered" big mako would probably keep a swordfish.

Upvote 0

Bubba

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 6, 2004
    Pismo Beach
    Name
    Bubba
    Boat
    18' Trophy
    tumblr_mhkxihils81ql2603o1_500.jpg

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
    Feb 24, 2003
    East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
    Name
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    Holy Guacamole.... :shake:

this thread has "winter-time" legs....

just sayin. :D

Reactions: capnjackv
    Upvote 0

kabin

Oct 6, 2012
    USA
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    N/A
    My wife had marlin in Hawaii. The chef covered it with lots of sauce. I tried it and wasn't impressed.

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    Douchie McDoosh, haha I love it! That's going to be my new favorite pejorative nickname to toss around on a whim--thank you sir!

And cast my vote with the "smoked stripey tastes good" advocates.

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    Douchie McDoosh, haha I love it! That's going to be my new favorite pejorative nickname to toss around on a whim--thank you sir!

And cast my vote with the "smoked stripey tastes good" advocates.

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK
    I've had smoked Marlin A couple of time's and thought it to be to strong' and fishy ' with so much YFT around why you kill A marlin un less it was bleeding to much and would not survive '

Reactions: mrkrabs
    Upvote 0

kcarnesmd

Almost A Member
    Jul 24, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    Name
    ken
    Boat
    Regulator 31
    Caught a big striped marlin years ago while fishing with the Aries fleet out of mazatlan. Captain asked if he could keep the fish and donate the meat to the locals. We had folks lined up around the building to get some fresh filets. I personally have no problem with someone keeping the fish as long as it is used/eaten.

Upvote 0

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
    Sacramento
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    The Organ
    For my next trick I'm going to go on a poultry farming website and show a photo of a couple guys holding up a dead chicken and yell, "Those focking asshats!!!"

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    It is certainly a big fish thing, or big animal of any kind actually, Whales, elephant, polar bear, white shark, large mako, doesn't matter what it is, if its large people have some weird fascination with it. The always think they are beautiful, majestic, magical, super intelligent, etc, etc., etc. and always endangered.
    Yes they're endangered,for every guy that thinks these large beautiful creatures should be left alone there are more that have a need to feed an ego by killing such creatures whether or not its edible ! why some get such a rush from that is beyond me.

Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.