Your Ad Here!
Sep 8, 2012
United States
Name
Jeremy Rodda
Boat
15' Saturn SK470XL "Mosquito"
(Overnight: departure 8pm, 11/16)

I wanna post a report on this trip particularly because the fish counts don't tell the story of why the boat didn't get limits of tuna, instead reading: 30 passengers; 150 YT, 116 YFT, 1 Skipjack.

Arrived at the landing around 6pm, 2 hours before departure. Looked like I was about the 5th person to arrive. Guy in front of the line looks and sounds about 10 beers deep, and he's trying to get me to roast battle with him. I'm all for a little game of improv but let's wait for our 2nd date before we roast each other. Get with the program, bro. He started napping shortly after and I chatted up a couple other guys, who were not seeking a roast, while we waited for the boat to arrive and unload.

Boat arrived and unloaded around 6:30pm. A bunch of happy campers piled off with limits of yellowfin and some yellowtail. Looked like an okay grade in the dock carts, 10-15# tuna and 5-10# YT.

On the boat by 8pm, off to the bait receiver, then away we go. Chatted with various folks before heading down into the bunks around 10:30pm.

By 11:30pm, it seemed that everyone had gone to bed except for the Roast Master, who was getting aggressive with the crew. A lot of slurred threats echoing into the bunk room. Eventually I hear some thunks, some yelling, then the captain asks the crew for his info and the manifest over the PA. at 1:00am, the captain comes back on the PA to say that we're going to have to go back and drop this guy off with the police. I couldn't sleep a wink, so I popped out of the bunks to find the guy zip tied, face down in the galley. Some more guys came out of the bunks and corroborated the story and we mourned our trip looking like it was falling apart. A deckhand hopped into our conversation and said we're still gonna fish, and while it may seem like a stretch, we're gonna book it back down the line and we'll get lines in the water by 6:30am.

We arrived back at the bay and dropped the roast master off with the harbor police at about 3:30am. Statements were quick enough and we were back out of the harbor by 4am.

I was finally able to sleep a little on the way out, the second time around. I woke up around 6am but stayed in the bunk til our numbers were called. Sure enough, by 6:40am, the boat slows down. I popped out for the slide and we were on 'em immediately. We got 10 minutes of schoolie yellowtail before it cooled down and we were back on the motoring. I missed my shot at a skunk buster by jumping on the jigstick instead of accepting the bait bite.

30 minutes later and we come into some more action. This time I got my skunk buster. Rat yellow. First ever yellowtail for me so a pic to commemorate it. Species #109. Smallest one I saw on the trip. Released it and then managed a couple 5lbers for the fish hold.

50618870246_2eca8907bc_c.jpg

Left that stop and then found the tuna. Hot bite on 20#. Super fun on an old Fenwick noodle blank I just got off a buddy who found it and restored it. I made friends with a kid who was a great stick and he handed me some #4 hooks early on. Those were my ticket to success. I got 2 10-15# YFT on the stop before it cooled off.

Next stop, the YT showed up in the mix. Tuna were being hooked while we finished out the boat limit for YT. Once I got my 3rd YT in the hold, I switched over to a colt sniper to cull my last YT. Immediately hooked into tuna #3. Then finished out my limit of YT and then some.

50618977067_11bf77ae16_c.jpg

Bite shut off with the iron, so I went back to bait. Even then it was a scratch bite. There was generally always somebody hooked up for the next hour. During the hot bite I switched to a #2 circle so I wouldn't lose hooks to CPR'd yellows, and I was slow to switch back to the #4 J, but when I did I hooked up and got the only skipjack of the day.

Stupid pic angle but it was lit up.

50618977057_1f9a462711_c.jpg

I went back to the iron for 30 minutes before I finally decided to take a burger break. By this point we should have been on our way back, but the captain wanted to make up for our lost time and kept pushing the envelope in hopes of getting us on another tuna flurry.

Captain shifted the boat on the school but only found more yellows, despite the apparent tuna sitting below them in the water column. We ditched that school and started heading back with the plan of one more stop.

I was pretty tired and ready to nap my way home, but we pulled up on our last stop right before I was about to go down to the bunks. When our fly-lined 'dines hit the water, hoards of yellows flashed in the water and lit up the boat with action. The captain said to keep trying, there were definitely tuna around. Sure enough, one in every 5 hook ups were the right kind. There was no rhyme or reason to who hooked up to tuna, except to keep a lively bait in the water and cross your fingers. Finally, after 6 or 7 yellows in a matter of 20 minutes, I got my 4th yellowfin and my Mexican limit, just as the captain pulled the plug on the day.

50618870256_7865c88d90_c.jpg

50618977062_62a0844247_c.jpg

Like I said, I want to note the story behind why the fish counts say that the Old Glory didn't get limits. The crew made the best decision they could with the drunk douche bag, and went on to do what they could to salvage the day. We planned on a sunrise bite of YFT that could have been easy limits, but instead the captain worked hard, we made our way down the line, and fought for our tuna. First time on the boat, great captain, great crew, solid boat, buttery diesel engine. I somehow didn't get my YT fillets, but didn't notice until I got home since I was handed my fish in 2 blue opaque trash bags. I stayed through the whole fish roll call back at the dock just to be sure. Kinda bummed about that. Seemed like heavy enough bags but alas, I have YFT for months, and my cats are really happy about the Skipjack.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Why they even let these drunk fucks aboard is beyond me.I've seen it too many times.

Reactions: T-Tang
Upvote 0

jrodda

Your Ad Here!
Sep 8, 2012
United States
Name
Jeremy Rodda
Boat
We had his female version on my last trip, only we didn’t figure it out until we were at the Banks.

Was that the Sea Adventure 80 trip? Apparently 3 guys from this trip were on a trip a couple weeks ago where a drunk couple got brought back to shore.

I'll add that he might have said to somebody that he was high as well.

Oh, and he shit his pants during his tirade, and got it on the floor of the deck and the galley while 4 crewmen teamed up to take him down. As one deckhand said later, "I've smelled a lot of shit in my life, and never, have I ever smelled shit quite like that."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
Was that the Sea Adventure 80 trip?

It was, but must have been a different trip. I didn’t even pay attention to her until she sawed me at color on a big BFT. Then one of the guys told me how faded she was. After that, I watched and she was FUBAR. Pissed on herself, stumbled around. Rest of the boat tried to avoid her.

Must be awesome to have enough $$ that you don’t have to fish on a fishing trip because you’re wasted.

Upvote 0

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
Congrats and nice post. Bullshit these boats let obvious wasted people come on a trip while still tied to the dock. Crap like that can easily ruin a boat's mood but glad it did not sour yours. I can guarantee if the fishing was not solid it would have been a different story with drunks on board. I am all for tossing beverages back but get wasted somewhere else. My 2 cents anyways.

Reactions: T-Tang and plj46
Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2017
COSTA MESA
Name
Hank
Boat
Small raft
I’ve seen guys on boats that look like their on drugs and barely can fish - some dude looked like he was on speed - crazy how guys can drop that kind of money just to do drugs

Upvote 0

bassnet

Nov 30, 2003
OC
www.bassackwardsoc.com
Name
Chris
Boat
2007 Champion 183
Dig that skippy pic, thanks for an epic report! Glad you guys made the best of it

If you're trying to ruin a trip, might as well shit yourself while you're at it

Upvote 0

Bajafishing

Feb 20, 2015
San Diego
Name
Andrew Baja
Boat
proline
Thank you for sharing story. Our boat is forth boat joined 2nd stop of Old glory about 11:00am. Your boat was catching the fish all the times. I saw Old glory went to 390 around 1 pm from hidden bank, it should be the return time. I knew Old glory returned to bay in early morning, I thought somebody was sick.
We found many paddies around 425, all dry. We went to lower hidden bank, no life.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Great report! I watch the ships with a tracker app every day, it's fun to see where they go and then read their counts when they return to the landings. Day after day I see the Old Glory almost always head south to the same general area, and return with happy anglers. And the vast majority of the fleet is still trying for those *#@*! bluefin that play peekaboo and just break your heart. Ten days on the water this year on trips targeting bluefin and I actually got just two. On two trips the whole boat came back with nothing. I know, I know, it's fishing not catching, but at a certain point you start reviewing the situation. . .

Upvote 0

RUNNOFT

Word of the Day: IceMelter
    May 13, 2003
    Orange County Kali
    Name
    OT - the Other Travis
    Boat
    Professional Boat Ho for now
    Holy shit - that story sounds familiar...oh wait I was on the boat with you! Definitely a trip and I'd bet the farm that dude was on something else, when he went in the bathroom and then came out storming norman 15 minutes later ready to sling shit, literally.

Good trip all things considered and still was able to get MX limits on both species and donated another 7 tuna to the less fortunate. Medium size butt hook, 20# line, #2 hook and if not bit in 45 seconds rinse and repeat was the ticket for me. Coltsniper worked to get below the rats and into the brown zone too.

Bummer about not getting your yellowtail. Best part was the dude who saw you holding your skippy and they told him it was a bluefin and the look on his face (like I just shot a puppy in front of him) when I had to crush his dreams and tell him that it was in fact not a bluefin.

Gotta love that type of fishing in Mid November, my buddies up north haven't been on a boat in months!

Upvote 0

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
    CHINO
    Name
    JOEY
    Boat
    KAYAK
    Great report! I watch the ships with a tracker app every day, it's fun to see where they go and then read their counts when they return to the landings. Day after day I see the Old Glory almost always head south to the same general area, and return with happy anglers. And the vast majority of the fleet is still trying for those *#@*! bluefin that play peekaboo and just break your heart. Ten days on the water this year on trips targeting bluefin and I actually got just two. On two trips the whole boat came back with nothing. I know, I know, it's fishing not catching, but at a certain point you start reviewing the situation. . .

Does suck to blow that money and hope dinner is caught. But charter on overnights or 3 days still cheaper then owning a boat. Now if your on those 5-10 day trips then a boat is definitely cheaper IMO.

Upvote 0

jrodda

Your Ad Here!
    Sep 8, 2012
    United States
    Name
    Jeremy Rodda
    Boat
    Was Jr involved in taking down the drunk? I once seen him beat the shit out of a steel door. He’s one tough SOB!!!

I didn’t have eyes on the struggle but I think he was on the wheel for it. I think it was the cook, the deckhand Steven (?), shorter buzz cut decky and then a Central Valley guy who was there to fish but helped with crew duties throughout. Those were the guys complaining about not getting the smell of shit off their person, anyway.

Reactions: bpickettfish
    Upvote 0