Independence
Jan 3, 2010
Thousand Oaks
Name
John
Boat
Independence
So this time I don't have photos...
Headed down to H&M Sunday after work found 1 insta parking spot at fishermen.
Checked in with H&M then headed to pizza nova for a tasty cheese pizza ended up running into Jeremy whom I fished with a couple of weeks ago on the Poseidon.

Ok, it's now 8:30 got all my gear stowed away and headed out the plan was going south and paddy hopping and then search for some YF.
So during boarding here comes a guy on board with a little poodle um WTF (I have nothing against poodles btw) I asked him what's up with the dog he replies it's a special service dog I'm like ok...now during the trip I am now assuming it's a special service dog for his psyche.
Got to the zone off Ensenada around 5 am and parked waiting for a little light.
They had beaconed a paddy from the day before so we headed straight for that.
Now here is where it gets wfo yellowtail and dorado bite that a complete cluster f&%K
36 passengers 10 of which were from out of country non-English speaking or understanding but I think they had an interpreter with them that was wearing some badass Tecovas lol anyhow, I hooked up on a nice dodo with an 80g colt sniper but lost it as it flipped out of the water.
I get hooked up 3 more times on the dodo's but the same thing over and over spit the colt snipper so I then went to the bait.
Now I'm on 30lb bait and the bite was instant but the grade of YT was on the smaller size.
I get back in and bit but this time we have a cluster of 20 people hooked up and 16 people not following their lines so there was a whole lot of zip, pow zing, and lines popping everywhere and fish getting unbuttoned because of waiting for a gaff as the deckhands had their hands full with all the tangles.
So after that patty was over we had boated 56 yellow and 12 dodo.
As the day progressed so did the size of fish but so did the tangles saw offs and unbuttons, I eventually went to 50lb and a 3/0 circle hook and they bit that no problem and it allowed me to horse the fish to a safer spot on the rail where I was able to avoid most messes and I was also able to keep the fish hooked as I waited for a gaff.
All in all great trip limits all around for the 36 passengers I myself landed 8 lost somewhere in the area of 15 fish due to the pandemonium.
I normally take lots of photos but I spent that time retying over and over again haha.
On the way back we ran into a couple of yellowfin jumpers but they did not play with us.

What worked.
Any pound test and hook size there aggressive.
Colt snipers 80-110 gram
Any surface iron that was mint color a lot of guys limited on iron.

Till next time tight lines to all.

Last edited:

tommysdad

May 14, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jim
Boat
Parker 2320
So this time I don't have photos...
Headed down to H&M Sunday after work found 1 insta parking spot at fishermen.
Checked in with H&M then headed to pizza nova for a tasty cheese pizza ended up running into Jeremy whom I fished with a couple of weeks ago on the Poseidon.

Ok, it's now 8:30 got all my gear stowed away and headed out the plan was going south and paddy hopping and then search for some YF.
So during boarding here comes a guy on board with a little poodle um WTF (I have nothing against poodles btw) I asked him what's up with the dog he replies it's a special service dog I'm like ok...now during the trip I am now assuming it's a special service dog for his psyche.

What size hook to bait the poodle? Just asking . . .

Upvote 0

Rookie Hooky

Jul 22, 2021
California
Name
Steve
Boat
NONE
Zip, pow, zing trips can get on your nerves. Great report, regardless.

tumblr_na3diwQV5q1tixpsbo1_400.gif

Upvote 0

jayyyy

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 7, 2008
NorCal
Name
jay
Boat
'04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
Now I remember why I bought a boat, still sounds like fun though. Good thing the comfort poodle didn't fall overboard dodo might of grabbed him and the owner would have needed meds.

Upvote 0

Zr1tech

• Aug 19, 2020
    Encinitas
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Fury
    Short-range, Thank you for your detailed story. I enjoyed reading it and shared it with several people. Your storytelling is amazing. I know your post is about the trip, but the dog is intriguing. Where was the dog while everyone was hooked up? I know my pup poops and pees all day, where'd the poodle do it's business? At least you knew who "that guy" was real quick! Just when you think you have seen it all on a sporty....this guy shows up

short-range
    short-range
    The dog he put on the upper deck when he was fishing and then had him everywhere when not.
    He let the dog piss all over the angler hangout section by the galley I actually think he used one of my towels to clean up as it wasn't on my tackle box anymore but found it in the head all yellow ...like WTF
    Oh and he had an old ass coffee grinder with a loose drag and got the JP haha
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    The car door closed it sped away, she was in the back seat with her little gray... Funk-afunky-funky poodle, funky poodle, yeah!

Poodle bites, poodle chews it. Not a speck of cereal...

--Lines from songs with poodles in them.

Sounds like you did well amongst the crowd. Too bad about the dodos they do tend to throw lures--sometimes you gotta duck too.

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
    Upvote 0

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    NA
    Maybe on the small colt snipers, try a very short bridle with a circle hook. Or assist hook circle hooks. Circles are harder to throw, and if the lure isn't in between the hook and the line, then the dorado doesn't have the weight of the lure to help throw the hook. Dorado generally eat a bait by the head, so the bridle would probably work great.

Upvote 0

Tuna Dreamer

Jul 14, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Jim Berghauser
    Boat
    Na
    A definite sign that the “tourists” are back in So. Cali fishing again. Bummer….some of the “good things” during the COVID Pandemic were: no traffic at rush hour; no tourists jacking things up around town; and open spots last minute on most of the sport fishing boats.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

wahoo_92606

• Dec 19, 2008
    Placentia/CA/Orange
    Name
    Sean
    Boat
    18 Panga
    My buddies and I were on the San Diego, fishing Monday (7/26), not a good sign when there were over 15 rod rentals on the boat. It was a cluster f*@k at the 2nd paddy with 4-5 hookups.

Reactions: JamesZ
    Upvote 0