OMEGA

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 17, 2007
WA
Name
MCS
Boat
40 Cabo FB
Nice looking power. Have heard good things about that 200.

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
Sweet! That thing should fly!

The Peddler

Elect the Mother F’er Again!
May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
Nice upgrade! Nice solution for kicker mount. It was cumbersome, when it was out on the Port corner. Tiller or remote controls on the kicker?

jskfish

Aug 2, 2006
Federal Way, WA
Name
John Kapica
Boat
Pursuit 315OS
Nice boat. Fished out of a buddies several times and was impressed by ride!

Woodhunter

Jun 12, 2011
Port Angeles, WA
Name
Big John
Boat
Classic MAKO 22
Nice upgrade! Nice solution for kicker mount. It was cumbersome, when it was out on the Port corner. Tiller or remote controls on the kicker?
Tiller on the 9.9. The boat is rigged classic Port Angeles mooching style: A seat (actually the top of the built in fish box) so I can sit and put my left hand on the tiller, without leaning over or stretching, and hold the mooching rod in the right hand. I will take a photo to show the detail. The old timer Port Angeles moochers (a dying breed) developed a unique style of mooching, often fishing 200 feet deep and deeper, that works well when the Kings are returning.

The boat is setup as a hybird: Leaning post (Florida style) for running and trolling when using the downriggers. I can reach each downrigger from the helm. Mooching setup as above, with a bait station at the left hand. Plenty of stowage for the jigging rods. I do all three: Mooch, drag hardware behind the downriggers, and jig, depending on the targeted fish, what time of year, etc. And fish Halibut. I can run the boat single handed, as I often do.

A tackle locker I built this January:

A close look at the T9.9 mount. I hate those upsie downsie kicker mounts that you have to fall over the transom to operate the kicker.

The 200 is set back also:

Woodhunter

Jun 12, 2011
Port Angeles, WA
Name
Big John
Boat
Classic MAKO 22
Nice boat. Fished out of a buddies several times and was impressed by ride!
It is a heavy boat, deep V forward, well balanced and 22 degrees deadrise at the stern. This style Mako was designed for running far out into the Gulf Stream: 6 knots of steady current often bucking a North Easterly wind.

Reactions: liltrouble

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
The boat had a 200 Merc 2 stroke when I bought it. Ugh! Problem motor. And a gas guzzler.

The Yamaha just looks better.

in its day though that black max would slap the shit out of that yami!

sounds like you had a rare lemon. Those were badass motors and the best sounding of all time.

almost makes me wanna repower with a couple. If only I could find some NIBs somewhere.

Woodhunter

Jun 12, 2011
Port Angeles, WA
Name
Big John
Boat
Classic MAKO 22
The old merc was not a lemon, just worn out and beyond its time. Did sound nice, especially on the muffs in the driveway. And it had the dreaded steering arm rusting problem. If you visit the scream and fly website you will see the V 6 Merc 2 strokes are very popular for building into a competition motor.

Sure, 2 strokers may have a hole shot advantage over the 4 strokers, but the Yamaha fits my needs better than a 2 stroke. This is a fishing boat, not a ski boat. I am not in a hurry to get on plane. The 4 stroke has advantages in fuel economy and it is quieter. And it makes a much more sensible engine for trolling.

Rember the old Yamaha motorcycle ad slogan: "Different Strokes for Different Folk"

Surprisingly the weights of the two different motors are nearly the same.

Wild Bill

Remind me again why I own a boat
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
Tilt tubes on those era Mercs were always an issue. I had an Almar sled with a tower of power inline 6 115 and went through a couple tilt tubes until I switched to a non conductive/anti corrosion grease for the mechanism.

FishPimpII

Shopping for a boat...
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
Deckhand of "JuiceboxII" And soon to be captain of fishpimpiii
in its day though that black max would slap the shit out of that yami!

sounds like you had a rare lemon. Those were badass motors and the best sounding of all time.

almost makes me wanna repower with a couple. If only I could find some NIBs somewhere.
I got a couple 2002 opti-max’s with your name written all over them!!!