Old friend, new friend, and Jerry Brown

Dexter Outdoors

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Who would write about their drive to the docks???? Same guy that did a video tour of his tackle box. But, gotta share one way to break up a long solo drive:

Leisurly drive a couple hours down - stopped for breakfast with Chris Honse and Jake Waardenburg -- both of Glyde, OR, who had never met each other. I'd fished with Chris, who had, just to be nice, done me up about 20 way perfect wind-ons! Jake had wrapped up the gorgeous rod he showed off in the rod builders forum. Great start.

Jake - handsome with the great stash, and past prime me, with the new UC 7-6 Centaur
    Jake and new rod.JPG

Since I am on my way to a Jerry Brown Line One 18 day on the RP, and JB is only about 90 minutes further down I5 - in Gold Hills, OR, and since I needed some line for the new black HX 3 speed I am putting on the Jake stick - stopped to meet the man. What a treat!

Greeted me at my car, then one on one for about an hour! He had shown Chris Honse how to splice wind ons. I showed him Chris' work - wow - he inspected with care, with a magnifying glass, and took pride in his teaching: Thanks again, Chris!
    JB Inspecting CH splice.JPG

He is now 90 years young, and even with iffy eyesight, showed me how he prefers to splice colored 40lb hollow -- for most of us a real challenge. Not for JB.
    JB lines in back.jpg

Note some new stuff: the orange he has in just a couple of sizes now, but will have all he thinks next week. Also a new Red-White-blue changing every 10 yards, like the decade the, but just patriotic.
    JB all spools.JPG

Of course, I questioned the thickness of one spool (wanting to see how he measures):
    JB Micrometer.JPG

I was interested in seeing just how he winds - so maybe some others reading this will be interested that he controls the tension with a kevlar glove, and guides with a folded rag that looks like bed sheet material. The motor on both benches are variable speed drill motors that can go to 2000 rpm, foot pedal controlled. One was deWalt, the other under a styrofoam cooler for noise control, but I could see it was red -- so probably Milwaukee.
    JB Winding.JPG

Tonight in Lodi. Late tomorrow morning at Bob Sands in Van Nuys, to meet Jamie Massion (fishordie), and get my new reel.

Upvote 0

cow man

Tuna addict
  • Aug 29, 2012
    Glide Or. 97443
    Name
    Jake Waardenburg
    Boat
    N/A
    Great to meet you Loc, hope you have a awesome trip .. catch a monster!!
    Be heading the same way Monday see
    You on the water .

Reactions: GES
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Great to meet you Loc, hope you have a awesome trip .. catch a monster!!
    Be heading the same way Monday see
    You on the water .
    Jake, Monday? You’re getting an early start!

Loc, gonna be keeping track of your adventures. We’ll cross paths as the trip that Jake and I are fishing will have a few crossover days with yours. Seaya!

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
    Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    Loc,

Sorry I’ll miss you on departure day. I hope you have a fantastic trip. Although, I get the impression that you adhere to the “it’s not the destination, it’s the journey” school of thought, so you can already call this one a success!

Chris

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Loc,

Your trip report is starting early. Way to get the most out of your fishing vacation!

And thanks for posting that pic with Jake in it. He is such a small, quiet guy I was beginning to forget what he looked like. I don't want to miss him at the airport when he picks me up in his Prius. :)

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Who would write about their drive to the docks????

I've got a trip coming up and I think the pre-trip dinner could be story worthy...
    Some tailgaters start earlier than others. As long as we get to the finish line. ;)

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    And TODAY, fun to visit Jamie Massion and Sal Valone at Bob Sands, in Van Nuys. Jamie writes some about the need to actually work it through with at least an artificial rail - he is very correct. I thought I was using the rail with some efficiency for years. As he patiently explained four concepts of his approach to the game I found myself more optimistic that this old body will not be trashed by the hoped for fights.

Sal owns the place. He and Jamie had not a single civil word during the time I was there - but it is clearly a great relationship.

Decided on an HX Raptor three speed for my new 7-6 Centaur. Yes, Mak SEa's and VISX's are more substantial, but if the HX is like my HXJ, it will cast far better than the more tank-like Okuma and Penn.

If you were wondering, the HX took 465 yards of JB 80 hollow. It is his new Red White and Blue line. I like it.

Something Jerry Brown pointed out yesterday, that I meant to relay: If one uses his decade line, there are ten different colors, ten yards each. My objection to the line was that I didn't want to try and memorize the order of the colors etc. Jerry says he just recommends counting the yellows - so counting the 100 yard marks. The yellow does stand out from the rest. Just a thought.

Tomorrow we board! (After I go get a new pillow, a door mat, and some cheep rubber flip flops. Items I just hadden't gotten around to accumulating.)

Upvote 0

Russ Scholl

Almost A Member
    Apr 1, 2018
    Tuscaloosa
    Name
    Russ Scholl
    Boat
    Kayaks
    And TODAY, fun to visit Jamie Massion and Sal Valone at Bob Sands, in Van Nuys. Jamie writes some about the need to actually work it through with at least an artificial rail - he is very correct. I thought I was using the rail with some efficiency for years. As he patiently explained four concepts of his approach to the game I found myself more optimistic that this old body will not be trashed by the hoped for fights.

Sal owns the place. He and Jamie had not a single civil word during the time I was there - but it is clearly a great relationship.

Decided on an HX Raptor three speed for my new 7-6 Centaur. Yes, Mak SEa's and VISX's are more substantial, but if the HX is like my HXJ, it will cast far better than the more tank-like Okuma and Penn.

If you were wondering, the HX took 465 yards of JB 80 hollow. It is his new Red White and Blue line. I like it.

Something Jerry Brown pointed out yesterday, that I meant to relay: If one uses his decade line, there are ten different colors, ten yards each. My objection to the line was that I didn't want to try and memorize the order of the colors etc. Jerry says he just recommends counting the yellows - so counting the 100 yard marks. The yellow does stand out from the rest. Just a thought.

Tomorrow we board! (After I go get a new pillow, a door mat, and some cheep rubber flip flops. Items I just hadden't gotten around to accumulating.)
    You have already had a great trip but good fishing luck.

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    I leave boots outside the door or up top under a blower. Scales and smashed dines

Anticipation and preparation is allot of the trip and fun. Its been cool seeing you get pumped up for your premier trip. Getting the most fun mileage out of it. Cruising down the highway hooking up with other fishers. :chestram2

Thank you for the jb report. I'm stoked to hear it and to see he looks the same. A honor for me was sharing a hotel room with jb in mexico. Was nervous but such a easy man to talk with and genuine. A proud moment was when a nice box of spectra showed up at my door later in life. Including the new 60 hollow that had not been released yet to the market. Generous man

Have a awesome trip Loc! You are loc and loaded :Rambo_Throwing_Kniv

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    That's what the fish should say :) A saying for being prepared. (Locked and loaded)

Enjoy

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0