Old fluorocarbon - throw it away??

Dexter Outdoors

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    I have several coils of never used fluoro from Seguar, Yozuri, Maxima, etc. They are three years old (or will be when I go on my next big trip). I am hoping that several of you respond with: "No good, send it to me and I will dispose of it for you." But if anyone has had a bad experience because they thought their fluoro leader or top shot was old, would like to know. Tried a search and did not find anything. Maybe I searched the wrong words. Link to good info appreciated as well.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    I have several coils of never used fluoro from Seguar, Yozuri, Maxima, etc. They are three years old (or will be when I go on my next big trip). I am hoping that several of you respond with: "No good, send it to me and I will dispose of it for you." But if anyone has had a bad experience because they thought their fluoro leader or top shot was old, would like to know. Tried a search and did not find anything. Maybe I searched the wrong words. Link to good info appreciated as well.

Thanks.
    I save mine for wahoo, when throwing jigs and bombs. I feel I get bit better with floro verses wire.

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Bet it still works... When you install it, stretch it out on a trolling strap. I wonder if you vacuum seal them new if that makes a difference?

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    Bet it still works... When you install it, stretch it out on a trolling strap. I wonder if you vacuum seal them new if that makes a difference?
    I've never tried that, probably works. I've used floro that I've caught large grade tuna on, and used it on my jig/bomb wahoo setup's with no failures, it's worth hanging onto.

Reactions: dh515 and locvetter
    Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    3 years isn't that long. If the coils are still packaged I don't know why they would weaken. I could be wrong but but I'd think your'e fine

Upvote 0

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat
    none
    Don’t send it to me, I have some that over five years old. I was told (by Seaguar) that it really doesn’t go bad as long as you store correctly. Not UV or Heat sensitive like mono. However once I use it on a good fish, I’ll replace it.

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    Send it to me....lol

i have some that is over 6 years old that I have zero problems using ....I keep it in a dark closet in a climate controlled room.....I don't use loop to loop connections anymore so I cut the loops off and use the FC for wahoo leaders....

Upvote 0
    Mar 18, 2011
    SoCal
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    Should be fine. I still use some fluoro that I've had in my tackle bag from 2008 and it's perfectly fine. My fluoro is stored in my spare bedroom and not exposed to any UV (not sure if it makes any difference like mono). I did notice that some of my "older" fluoro from prior 2008 was becoming opaque, felt fine and I pulled like heck and it didn't break. Did i use the opaque line on my last trip?....no. I'm just keeping it in my bag waiting for the day the fish decide to chew the paint off the bottom of the boat.

Reactions: Bill W
    Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    About the only thing wrong is it gets a set. But give it a good stretch and it is bueno. So some change the leader after a big fish, I think the leader is just getting warmed up. Cut 6" off and tie another hook on, or better yet use the same hook you just caught that last big one on.

Just the way I do it...

Upvote 0