Old Cheap i/o boat for fishing SoCal

agarcia

May 19, 2006
Nor*Cal
Name
Art Garcia
Boat
rowboat
Sure it would be a bit of a project but I don't really mind that as long as it's more labor than money.

Doing it yourself does save some coin but you’re still gonna wind up comin plenty out of pocket. I recently picked up a quicky bass boat project that was tourney ready when my buddy put it to sleep several years ago.

New trailer tires, bearings, seals, lights, wiring and all the electrical connections/heat shrink.

Engine runs strong but needed some maintenance: new fuel lines, filters/housings, hose clamps, fuel line nipples, t-stats, spark plugs, trim motor rebuild, new fluids, water pump and housing.

A couple pumps were working but I wanted to replace them cause they looked like they were in their last leg: new bilge, new live well pump, wiring, hose, hose clamps, wiring connectors, fuses and heat shrink. Also needed 3 new batteries.

That’s just the bare minimum to get it back on the water. I spent a bunch more on tools, shipping costs on what I couldn’t get locally, and gas money I burned having to drive 25 miles each way to the nearest marine shop. I haven’t even looked at electronics yet lol. I already spent more than I paid for the boat.

I agree with everyone else, get a tin boat or a livingston with a four stroke and fish the crap out of it.

Upvote 0
Feb 25, 2021
Name
Dominic
Boat
kayak, 19' skiff hopefully soon
Even in this market there are older boats for free. I would find an older glasspar that is outboard powered and thennspend the money Inhave on a new outboard.
But thats just part of safe boating. Trailer neess to work well, radio, life jacketa, bilge pumps, bailing
Do you have a tow vehicle already?
A sienna with a hitch

Upvote 0

Dragon

It is what it is...
May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
I gotta say, you really cant go wrong with the Tin Boat and a 4 stroke like everyone suggests. You can be selective on what you fix & when. Naturally you have to work on safety issues 1st, and make sure its reliable. but there is not all that Jazz like the last post (bass boat). It can be very bare bones, easy to trailer, launch solo, And you dont have to wax it...

Upvote 0
Feb 25, 2021
Name
Dominic
Boat
Ok then aluminum boats are sounding good and maybe a fiberglass one if I can get a good one for cheap as well as a good engine. Any other things to know or look out for? I’m planning to buy something in July so I’m just learning for now.

Upvote 0
Feb 25, 2021
Name
Dominic
Boat
Even in this market there are older boats for free. I would find an older glasspar that is outboard powered and thennspend the money Inhave on a new outboard.
But thats just part of safe boating. Trailer neess to work well, radio, life jacketa, bilge pumps, bailing bucket, etc.
Is there something special about glasspar or would any old fiberglass boat work? Also where to look for free boats?

Upvote 0
May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
Your best bet is to find a cheap hull with an outboard stern..fiberglass for easy repairs...finance a new outboard if possible or look for a used one in good running condition at a boat repair shop or auction...inboards and outdrives are twice the maintainence of outboards with limited working space...go outboard all the way....lots less headaches in the long run....CWS has boat auctions, as well as the cities of Long Beach and Newport Beach, also "Boat Angel" has lots of donated boats that often go cheap...once you own a boat, your girlfriend will have to pay for your date nights....:)

Upvote 0