Old Cheap i/o boat for fishing SoCal

Feb 25, 2021
Name
Dominic
Boat
kayak, 19' skiff hopefully soon
I’m in the Ventura area, 17, and on a very tight budget but hoping to do some inshore and islands fishing this summer. Obviously a boat like this: Wellcraft boat isn’t set up for fishing like a center console and is on the smaller side, but is there a reason that I couldn’t use it to do islands trips given that it runs well? With a towboat membership of course and on nice days.
I was even thinking about tearing out the center area and making it into a center console layout.
Anyone have experience with these types of boats?
Thanks

Upvote 0

Ratshirt

Mar 25, 2007
Oregon
Name
Ratshirt
Boat
none
Run, do not walk. get as far away from that disaster as you can and find something else. One picture shows a spot on the hull you can see through and the damage elsewhere matches. Even the cushions have rotted away and you can tell it wasn't covered when stored.

Upvote 0
Feb 25, 2021
Name
Dominic
Boat
Run, do not walk. get as far away from that disaster as you can and find something else. One picture shows a spot on the hull you can see through and the damage elsewhere matches. Even the cushions have rotted away and you can tell it wasn't covered when stored.
Obviously if I went to look at a boat and there was rot etc I would leave. My question was more if that style of boat is ok if it’s in decent condition.

Upvote 0
Feb 25, 2021
Name
Dominic
Boat
Put that money towards a smaller aluminum boat, 14-16ft with a reliable 4 stroke motor and pick your days.. that boat above will be a never ending pit of money
Do you use airbags in aluminum boats for in case of swamping so you don’t sink? Or some similar concept? I used to sail optis and the airbags saved the boat multiple times.

• Haha
Reactions: Blackfish
Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Do you use airbags in aluminum boats for in case of swamping so you don’t sink? Or some similar concept? I used to sail optis and the airbags saved the boat multiple times.
    They usually have foam. But if you're taking on that much water you didn't pick the right day to be on the water and you shouldn't have went past the breakwall.

Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 31, 2004
    Claremont
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Hobie Outback
    Positive flotation make sure it wont sink. Get top notch communication and safety gear and a great trailer. Look at those things cost too plus tow service and insurance. A good running engine with parts available localy.

Upvote 0

Ratshirt

Mar 25, 2007
    Oregon
    Name
    Ratshirt
    Boat
    none
    Obviously if I went to look at a boat and there was rot etc I would leave. My question was more if that style of boat is ok if it’s in decent condition.
    Style yes, size maybe not so much. I'm used to conditions changing fast enough that more freeboard is a plus . Keep looking. I've seen listings for OC that may be worth all the hassle of fixing stuff in the $5000 range.

Upvote 0

OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
  • Dec 13, 2003
    San Marcos
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Grady White 208
    We used to kill it offshore in a 19 foot Sea Ray with OMC outdrive. This was 30 years ago, though. 😂
    8A8168C3-31D4-4E34-992D-73D96C372FCA.jpeg

It’s a total crap shoot buying a 40 year old boat. The thought of buying a turn-key boat capable of island duty for $5000 without needing to put blood, sweat, tears, and more money into it is high risk. But it can be done, especially if you’re mechanically inclined and like wrenching on boats.

Upvote 0
    Feb 25, 2021
    Name
    Dominic
    Boat
    We used to kill it offshore in a 19 foot Sea Ray with OMC outdrive. This was 30 years ago, though. 😂 View attachment 1281246
    It’s a total crap shoot buying a 40 year old boat. The thought of buying a turn-key boat capable of island duty for $5000 without needing to put blood, sweat, tears, and more money into it is high risk. But it can be done, especially if you’re mechanically inclined and like wrenching on boats.
    That looks awesome!
    I am definitely mechanically inclined-I don't claim to know anything but I think I'll learn quick-and my dad's an engineer so that should be a help. Sure it would be a bit of a project but I don't really mind that as long as it's more labor than money.
    Why do OMCs have a bad reputation?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
  • Dec 13, 2003
    San Marcos
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Grady White 208
    Why do OMCs have a bad reputation?
    That particular OMC on that boat was discontinued in 1986. So the newest ones are 35 years old, and parts will be scarce. Even when new, they were finicky. The seals always leaked and would suck water into the lower unit oil, especially the upper housing which would get hot since it was out of the water while up on plane and then instantly cool off when you came off plane and it went back into the water. We were constantly changing the lower unit oil in that thing. In 11 years of owning an OMC outdrive, it had to be rebuilt once when the drive shaft spline spun out. That was really the only major mechanical issue we had with it. It was mostly just a PITA to maintain because no matter what you did, it was impossible to keep water out of the oil.

Upvote 0

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
    Feb 28, 2004
    Sabre Springs
    Name
    Tom McKinney
    Boat
    Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
    Even in this market there are older boats for free. I would find an older glasspar that is outboard powered and thennspend the money Inhave on a new outboard.
    But thats just part of safe boating. Trailer neess to work well, radio, life jacketa, bilge pumps, bailing bucket, etc.

Upvote 0

zing1402

Jul 13, 2020
    yorba linda
    Name
    nick
    Boat
    which one
    How much room do you have for a boat? If you like a project, I got a deal you might like.

PS, it’s a 24’ fly bridge. Mercruiser outdrive.
    You’re still trying to get rid of that thing? I should have bought it but probably would have never finished it

Reactions: One_Leg
    Arima-bob
    Arima-bob
    I have three that need to get gone. Two 24’s and a 14’ and another I’ll probably end up selling, but I don’t want to. LOL
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Mr Lingcod

Almost A Member
    Mar 20, 2017
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Jesse
    Boat
    The Last Soviet
    Put that money towards a smaller aluminum boat, 14-16ft with a reliable 4 stroke motor and pick your days.. that boat above will be a never ending pit of money
    I agree. Nice 4-stroke and an aluminum 16ft would be great. Get a huge bilge pump too. You'll hit your low entry price point but also really minimize the never-ending money pit of boats.

Reactions: One_Leg
    Upvote 0