FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat Name
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Just told by my LTS that Okuma is shipping out the remainder of the current Makaira series reels and has started production on the next gen. Supposed to have the new/updated reels on the market in the fall. No details on how or if the next gen will be different from the current production. There are also posts about a new Tesoro star drag they have just unofficially unveiled. Maybe the Makaira 15.5 is on the way!

Upvote 0

backlashjack

Scallywag
  • May 14, 2007
    Alta Loma, CA
    Name
    Jackson
    Boat Name
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    Mak 9 with high (5.5/1) gear 1st & chrome J.O.M.

Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 3, 2008
    Mexico, DF, Mexico
    Name
    Jim
    Boat Name
    Strictly a Rider
    3 speed with overdrive.

Overdrive? I don't know. But I would kill for a Makaira 3-speed! Can you imagine anything better than a 4.0:1 high gear for jigging and taking up slack on the kite?

You know, even a high-speed high gear on the basic Makaira would be cool. You know:

4.0:1 / 1.3:1

I have found that, even though all of my Maks are the SEa version now, the 1.3:1 low gear wasn't a problem for me, but I love that faster high gear.

Hurry UP Okuma!

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat Name
    Royal Star
    M
    But how much more can you improve on a turn key bullet proof out of the box reel?

Damn now I will want to get more
    my thoughts exactly! The only thing I would change is a more incramental drag adjustment on the preset ,but thats nit pickin. Kinda sucks for us makira owners, gotta get new ones now! Hopefully okuma will upgrade the older ones like they do on the gold ones, to make them basically a se version. We will have to wait and see.

Reactions: Durtyfeesh
    Upvote 0

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
    Apr 27, 2003
    US/Mexico
    Name
    Choate
    Boat Name
    Islander
    I know nothing of new reels besides the new star drag reel.
    Personally I doubt we'll see a 3 speed reel, and see zero use for a 3rd speed myself.
    Very doubtful of seeing a 4 to one gear ratio as well. With the helical cut gears, it would be an expensive change. And being that we long rangers are about the only fishermen that would want 4 to 1, it is not enough buyers to warrant the expense.

Upvote 0

greatbasin

• Jun 22, 2007
    Idaho
    Name
    Greg
    Boat Name
    Knot Yet
    I have Maks on backorder and Okuma missed the first promised restock date. I hope they come through this time in a couple of weeks.

Upvote 0

backlashjack

Scallywag
  • May 14, 2007
    Alta Loma, CA
    Name
    Jackson
    Boat Name
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    I'm down for some chicken feet. As long as I'm on the water that is.
    Bring it on Fishy!

Reactions: Fishybuzz
    Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat Name
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    I have Maks on backorder and Okuma missed the first promised restock date. I hope they come through this time in a couple of weeks.

I was told that my reel won't get to me until mid June. I ordered it through the LTS a month ago.

Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
    Feb 11, 2007
    The "718"
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    A big Steel One
    Okuma shipped B/O 16 and 20 SEa this week.

Sales meeting next week. Should be more information. My Okuma rep told me he is unaware of any changes on the MAK's.

Reactions: Bill W
    Upvote 0