Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
Hi guys,

Was lucky enough to acquire a 10s prior to my recent 9 day trip. Spooled it up with 65# Berkeley Pro Spec which is my favorite braid by far.
Here are my "Real world" thoughts of the reel:
1. Casts great! - Freespool was very good and easy to master - even full of braid which is how I fished it. Backlashes were minimal for a new reel that I was unfamiliar with.
2. Great torque given its high gear ratio - Especially when a big wahoo attacks it and you gotta keep cranking through the bite. Was very pleasantly surprised..!
3. Ergonomics are well thought out - Very comfy to fish - especially 3 days of solid casting - hands did not get rubbed raw anywhere which is a big plus for me.
4. Drag was very solid - Fished it on the tight side mostly (17-18#) since the wahoo were around and everyone knows how hard they are to hook and boat. Still very silky smooth at the higher settings.

I fished this reel hard for about 3 days as I mentioned before. I caught surface iron wahoo, yellowtail, black skipjack and yellowfin tuna all on the same rod and reel. Was a real pleasure to fish this new reel. I think Okuma did a very good job with this reel. Looking forward to try the 12 out.

BTW, I am not affiliated with Okuma, just figured I would post a non biased opinion of the reel for those of you that have been waiting to get it and try it out. If anyone has any questions fire away..!!

I might even be the first retail consumer to get a wahoo on it? That would be cool..

Bill

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
The line capacity is almost identical to the Trini 16a. Size wise also very, very similar.
I had it on 3 different rods on this trip:
UC US100 Monster
UC CE1000 Wahoo
UC CE1000 Del Mar
Prior to the trip had it on my UC US90 Monster and a UC CE1000 Monster to cast it one session at the lake. Equally good on all the rods but would probably get a 12 for the Del Mar and Wahoo so I could use 80# Pro Spec for the larger jigs on those heavier rods (Can you tell I am a HUGE UC fan..??!!).

Used 50# leader with a tight drag as stated. Also used various weight and mfg of surface irons with the different rods.

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
I believe it was 350 yds of Pro Spec 65#. I will double check but I believe the base is screwed on but from the top down, not from under the bottom of the seat up (If that makes sense..??)

Upvote 0

Joda

Jan 3, 2016
Walnut, ca
Name
Jonathan c
Boat
one day
I always thought the 10 would hold as much as a trini 20, doesn't it weight more than trini 16?

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
I always thought the 10 would hold as much as a trini 20, doesn't it weight more than trini 16?

No, the 10 is almost identical to the 16, the 12 will be the size of the 20.

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
Any more real world input on the Tesoro? Problems, etc...

Probably will not find too much info since very few people have them in the real world yet. Still no issues with mine. Love it.

Reactions: Lipripper#1504
Upvote 0

Latest posts