Okuma Nomad Rolling Tackle Bag -- 3d Printing Rack -- Realistic?

5-20

Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower
Jan 20, 2011
San Diego
Name
5-20
Boat
L2 Fish
I really like my okuma nomad rolling tackle bag, but once you add a few heavy jigs and some weights... okay, not just a few metal jigs, but a lot... it becomes somewhat difficult to pull out the tackle boxes and just about as hard to put them back since the dividers are made out of cloth and sag with the weight of the boxes pressing down on each other.

It got a little better when I tried to evenly distribute the heavy jigs across all of the boxes and I ended up taking out a lot of the jigs that I didn't think I'd use on each particular trip, but it still wasn't exactly ideal.

I was wondering if it'd be possible to create a 3d printed rack for the tackle bag that would replace the cloth dividers. But I'm not sure if having a plastic rack would take up so much room I'd have to lose space for one of the tackle boxes. Right now, the bag is able to hold one deep 3700 box and three regular sized 3700 boxes and I'd like to keep all of those boxes in there. Also kind of wondering if the thickness of a plastic rack could interfere with the cloth flap that needs to be zipped up.

Might just have to end up bringing a smaller tackle bag that's dedicated to the heavy jigs and weights, but I really like being able to carry everything in my hands from the truck to the dock to the boat in one trip without needing to use a cart or anything like that and trying to minimize what I bring with me on each trip.

Is this something that could be easily designed and created by one of those 3d printing systems? Not sure if doing something like this would end up costing so much between the design and final product it wouldn't really be worth it.

Upvote 0

pescadito

Aug 20, 2007
rosemead, ca
Name
john
Boat
n/a
I think it’s doable. I have an old g.loomis tackle bag that has a rigid plastic frame. It holds 5 3700 size boxes. Problem is as I am getting older, I switched to a rolling bag, but the rock river version. I’ve been wondering if someone had done it with a 3D printer as well.

Upvote 0

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
I have a brand new prusa MK3 printer and all the PLA filaments to go with it.

I bought it so my teenage son and I can start developing our own prototype lures.

Quickly realized we need some CAD education to design.

If you get someone to design what you want to make, you are more than welcome to use the printer.

Reactions: 5-20
Upvote 0

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
I have a brand new prusa MK3 printer and all the PLA filaments to go with it.

I bought it so my teenage son and I can start developing our own prototype lures.

Quickly realized we need some CAD education to design.

If you get someone to design what you want to make, you are more than welcome to use the printer.

Does it need a CAM file or can it take say a Solidworks CAD file and do the CAM post-processing? I should be able to provide either if you can give me some dimensioned hand sketches.

Reactions: 5-20
Upvote 0

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
Does it need a CAM file or can it take say a Solidworks CAD file and do the CAM post-processing? I should be able to provide either if you can give me some dimensioned hand sketches.

Are you referring to the part that 5-20 wants to create? If so. I do not have the bag/dimensions for that particular part.

My son has been using fusion 360 and tinkercad to create fishing lures. He does reasonably well with the design process.

Once he tries to convert it to the proper G-Code and slicing software and we try to print the object, all hell breaks loose and we're left with a blob of plastic.

I know it's not the printer. The printer comes with stock print files and it prints perfectly fine using the stock files.

Upvote 0

SilentViper

Fishing fiend
Aug 21, 2012
Buena Park
Name
Jimmy McG
Boat
1980 Skipjack 24 open
@5-20 Your idea should be easily doable with 3d printing. A design as simple as a wide U channel turned on it's side could suffice. If you're handy I'd bet a $6 sheet of thin acrylic from home depot and some super glue you could make some shelves similiar to what you're describing without the hassle of 3d printing. I dont think the thickness of the acrylic material should be that critical since the tackle boxes are rigid themselves. I like the idea, as I have the same problems.

@Black-is-Back what "slicer" are you using? From fusion360 when you click the 3d print or "Make" button, you should probably be telling fusion to send to slic3r from Prusa. A slicer is the program that takes the solid model from your CAD program of choice and turns it into commands for the printer. Slic3r combined with your Prusa i3 MK3 is generally considered top of the line consumer printer and yeilds the best results. Feel free to PM me if you'd like. I dont have a prusa i3 Mk3 but have a lulzbot taz 6 i've learned a lot from.

Upvote 0

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
I mean what file type does it need to
Are you referring to the part that 5-20 wants to create? If so. I do not have the bag/dimensions for that particular part.

My son has been using fusion 360 and tinkercad to create fishing lures. He does reasonably well with the design process.

Once he tries to convert it to the proper G-Code and slicing software and we try to print the object, all hell breaks loose and we're left with a blob of plastic.

I know it's not the printer. The printer comes with stock print files and it prints perfectly fine using the stock files.

I'm assuming you're running Slic3r, which would be the post-processing CAM software I was referring to. These machines all require conversion of the CAD drawing into a CAM file to tell the machine how to make it.

My guess would be that maybe the software isn't refining the mesh enough for the surfaces you're trying to create.

Upvote 0

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
OC
Name
Erik
Boat
Spaghetti Madness
B6D4DA10-8154-458B-AE70-B4FAEB8CE5F2.png

Look into the Plano molded stowaway rack-

Might be just what you need and could fit right into the Nomad, was going to try this on my Calcutta bag but I need space for 5 3700 trays.

Upvote 0