F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Em
    Boat Name
    None

Watch these two videos. The Makaira really is one of the best reels the Market can offer, in the 2nd video it shows the tiagra vs the Makaira in a heat test and then a smoothness in drag test, I don't really have to say much after you watch it.

When I talk about quality the closest thing to a Makaira is an accurate.
    The Makaira uses the best of the best quality components there is.
    Now there is one main reel that can compare to the Mak, the Penn ViSX comes closest.
    Makaira:
    - Makaira reels all feature two-speed gearing systems
    - Gold anodized two-speed gear shifter housing
    - Cold forged, Type-II anodized, machined aluminum spool
    - CRC: Corrosion Resistant Coating process
    - Patented spool pin system for use with braided or mono lines
    - Carbonite Dual Force drag system featuring Cal’s universal drag grease
    - Custom designed thrust bearing: Alleviates side load on heavy drag settings
    - 4-pcs ABEC-5 precision Sapporo stainless steel ball bearings
    - MK-80WII features 6-pcs of Sapporo ball bearings
    - Double-dog, proprietary silent anti-reverse system
    - Ratcheting drag lever and pre-set knob for precise drag setting
    - Patented T-Bar handle with Easy Roll graphite insert on all models
    - Heavy duty stainless steel ratcheting clicker system
    - Heavy duty, 17-4 grade stainless steel drive and spool shafts
    - Type-II gold anodized frame, sideplates, spool, drag lever and handle
    - Open top frame design on MK-8II,10II, 15II,16II, 20II, and 50II
    - Lug and plug system on all open top reel models
    - Machined thumb rest on rear cross bar for improved ergonomics
    - Forged aluminum full hard anodized reel foot and reel clamp
    - Machine-etched marlin logo on left side plate
    - Precision placement of drain holes maximizes water removal from reel
    - Special screw ports around side plate screws reduces water/corrosion buildup
    VISX:
    • Machined and anodized aluminum body and sideplates
    • Stainless steel main and pinion gears
    • Quick-Shift II™ 2-speed system
    • Dura-Drag™ system
    • Versa-Strike Adjustable Strike stop
    • Double-dog ratchet anti-reverse
    • Line Capacity Rings
    • Made in the USA of domestic and imported components
    (The comparison here is kinda unfair because the makaira brings out every single feature and the visx brings out only the best features)

Those two reels are probably the best preforming on the market, really in quality of components the Makaira wins but the VISX is from decades of experience!

This thread is not to prove the Makaira is a better reel than the visx, I am just bringing to notice the quality of Makairas. Personaly I do prefer the visx lighter design with sealed bearings allowing the spool to spin forever. Especially if your dealing with lots of salt like trolling or your reel getting sprayed.

Drags on both are best before twin drag I would imagine. Both Dual Force and Dura Drag are amazing!

The decision of which reel is better really can go on forever.. Like I said, the visx was built off of over 50years of designs and the current model is the best of all other internationals. Makairas have had 10 years to prove themselves.

As I said before, these are the best reels this market offers, it all comes down to preference.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Eric Ancog
    Upvote 0

JK47

May 19, 2019
    HB
    Name
    Alek
    Boat Name
    SS Minnow

Watch these two videos. The Makaira really is one of the best reels the Market can offer, in the 2nd video it shows the tiagra vs the Makaira in a heat test and then a smoothness in drag test, I don't really have to say much after you watch it.

When I talk about quality the closest thing to a Makaira is an accurate.
    The Makaira uses the best of the best quality components there is.
    Example of a Makaira vs VISX
    Makaira:
    - Makaira reels all feature two-speed gearing systems
    - Gold anodized two-speed gear shifter housing
    - Cold forged, Type-II anodized, machined aluminum spool
    - CRC: Corrosion Resistant Coating process
    - Patented spool pin system for use with braided or mono lines
    - Carbonite Dual Force drag system featuring Cal’s universal drag grease
    - Custom designed thrust bearing: Alleviates side load on heavy drag settings
    - 4-pcs ABEC-5 precision Sapporo stainless steel ball bearings
    - MK-80WII features 6-pcs of Sapporo ball bearings
    - Double-dog, proprietary silent anti-reverse system
    - Ratcheting drag lever and pre-set knob for precise drag setting
    - Patented T-Bar handle with Easy Roll graphite insert on all models
    - Heavy duty stainless steel ratcheting clicker system
    - Heavy duty, 17-4 grade stainless steel drive and spool shafts
    - Type-II gold anodized frame, sideplates, spool, drag lever and handle
    - Open top frame design on MK-8II,10II, 15II,16II, 20II, and 50II
    - Lug and plug system on all open top reel models
    - Machined thumb rest on rear cross bar for improved ergonomics
    - Forged aluminum full hard anodized reel foot and reel clamp
    - Machine-etched marlin logo on left side plate
    - Precision placement of drain holes maximizes water removal from reel
    - Special screw ports around side plate screws reduces water/corrosion buildup
    VISX:
    • Machined and anodized aluminum body and sideplates
    • Stainless steel main and pinion gears
    • Quick-Shift II™ 2-speed system
    • Dura-Drag™ system
    • Versa-Strike Adjustable Strike stop
    • Double-dog ratchet anti-reverse
    • Line Capacity Rings
    • Made in the USA of domestic and imported components
    Those two reels are probably the best preforming on the market, really in quality of components the Makaira wins but the VISX is from decades of experience!
    Thanks for the infomercial.

Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Em
    Boat Name
    None
    If I’m right... the Maks and VISX are actually based on the Avet. What used to happen is that the washerplate would be pressed against the spool. Now the Spool pulled into washer plate.

Both the reels are pretty much identical to each other. Only difference is gear ratio and drag material at the end of the day. PENNs maintain a high level of performance really, really well. Makairas are a bit less taxing on the individual. ATDs are... I don’t know never used one and I hear mixed reviews, they have killed a ton of big fish that’s for damn sure. Talicas are smooth, Tiagras just keep going. Avets are low tolerance and last a long time.

Difference strokes for different folks. Pretty sure with 90% of anglers they just see which reel fits their eyes the best.
    Penns and Makairas designs are basically identical, different grade materials but all are reliable. Accurate used to be my favorite brand but they require a lot of upkeep. The twin drag is awesome, servicing it is not. A reel like a VISX or Makaira are lower upkeep and a hell of a lot of power! I dont really see the need in the twin drag system, especially when its ganna cost you over $1000 bux when you can get a equal preforming reel that requires less Maintenance such as a Okuma Makaira or Penn VISX. If you took all the internationals generations it has probably landed more fish than any other reel there is, x2. Tiagras and talicas belong to shimano, I was set on getting every talica after getting my tac 16ii but feeling a fathom is pretty impressive. Makairas are incredible too in the smaller sizes.

Upvote 0

Sandieangler

Wax~Chalk~Resin
    Oct 1, 2017
    San diego
    Name
    Trevor Ton
    Boat Name
    Mercado de pescado
    Can’t beat em

9EF25F06-2005-4FF6-A74F-869B5FECDCF7.jpeg

Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
    Sep 22, 2016
    City of Angels
    Name
    Rexor
    Boat Name
    LazyAngler
    Penns and Makairas designs are basically identical, different grade materials but all are reliable. Accurate used to be my favorite brand but they require a lot of upkeep. The twin drag is awesome, servicing it is not. A reel like a VISX or Makaira are lower upkeep and a hell of a lot of power! I dont really see the need in the twin drag system, especially when its ganna cost you over $1000 bux when you can get a equal preforming reel that requires less Maintenance such as a Okuma Makaira or Penn VISX. If you took all the internationals generations it has probably landed more fish than any other reel there is, x2. Tiagras and talicas belong to shimano, I was set on getting every talica after getting my tac 16ii but feeling a fathom is pretty impressive. Makairas are incredible too in the smaller sizes.
    Can you please elaborate in details why Accurate needs a “lot of upkeep” than Maks & Int’ls? Side by side comparison on cost of maintenance will be much appreciated.

Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Em
    Boat Name
    None
    Can you please elaborate in details why Accurate needs a “lot of upkeep” than Maks & Int’ls? Side by side comparison on cost of maintenance will be much appreciated.
    They have to much mass. My Dauntless 400 is 22 oz at the size of a Talica 8. I can't maintain it as well as a feel like a Makaira with not a lot of parts even though it might not have the same drag system. Accurates twin drag makes it more open to salt water getting in important parts of the reel like the drag that will make it need maintenance. I can take apart a Makaira, fathom, torque, Talica, international without getting too lost. Accurates are a little harder to service yourself. Accurate has incredible service though and all the problems I have ran into all got fixed, most for free. Accurates screws seem to strip and fail pretty easy especially when there is salt. Sure, they work pretty good but it requires more upkeep to keep everything in good shape. And there very expressive. Just my opinion.

Reactions: dh515
    Upvote 0

Day0ne

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Dec 24, 2004
    Texas
    Name
    David
    Boat Name
    233 Formula Shadowdancer
    They have to much mass. My Dauntless 400 is 22 oz at the size of a Talica 8. I can't maintain it as well as a feel like a Makaira with not a lot of parts even though it might not have the same drag system. Accurates twin drag makes it more open to salt water getting in important parts of the reel like the drag that will make it need maintenance. I can take apart a Makaira, fathom, torque, Talica, international without getting too lost. Accurates are a little harder to service yourself. Accurate has incredible service though and all the problems I have ran into all got fixed, most for free. Accurates screws seem to strip and fail pretty easy especially when there is salt. Sure, they work pretty good but it requires more upkeep to keep everything in good shape. And there very expressive. Just my opinion.

I haven't found that Accurates are hard to service, nor do they seem to need more care. How does the twin drag make it "more open to salt water getting in important parts of the reel"? I have found Accurates fairly well sealed. The only thing difficult to remove is the AR bearing and it's easy to press out. BTW, I have 20+ Accurates.

Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Em
    Boat Name
    None
    I haven't found that Accurates are hard to service, nor do they seem to need more care. How does the twin drag make it "more open to salt water getting in important parts of the reel"? I have found Accurates fairly well sealed. The only thing difficult to remove is the AR bearing and it's easy to press out. BTW, I have 20+ Accurates.
    I'm not saying there bad. Just a little harder to care for imo. If salt did get in it would most likely get in the clicker and of it can go past the plastic drag cap then the drag. The Accurate ATD is probably the best reel there is. It's kinda over priced though. Same for the Dauntless. I really like them but I have encountered a ton of problems with my personal experience. There team always takes care of me when needed though, haven't let me down yet. I honestly like the drag Design. It's plastic rather than aluminum/steel. That will allow no corrosion. I used to think it's low quality but it's cheap to replace and will last longer. The twin drag system is the best there is too. Not to happy with the Valiants haveing no dogs though.
    This is my DX 400

Screenshot_20200607-110323.png

Upvote 0

Sandieangler

Wax~Chalk~Resin
    Oct 1, 2017
    San diego
    Name
    Trevor Ton
    Boat Name
    Mercado de pescado
    i think what he was saying is that there are more moving parts in accurates compared to other reels with the same drag class. Like if you were to open a Makaira vs and ATD? At least that’s what I’ve heard from other people who service reels also

Reactions: dh515 and F.I.S.H.Y
    Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
    Sep 22, 2016
    City of Angels
    Name
    Rexor
    Boat Name
    LazyAngler
    I still didn’t get it...I‘m fishing various reels from Okuma, Penn, Seigler, Daiwa, Accurate and do the usual cleaning after every fishing trip with No issues nor finding one brand ”Needing More Upkeep” than the other.

Then send it to their respective service departments for once a year maintenance....I’m a lazy guy and would rather send to service depts. any issues I have with a particular reel. I’m letting the Pros fixed it for me even a simple Knob replacement like these reels:

85FFD276-C7E0-4DB1-A528-23CF52589C31.jpeg

Reactions: Hkrob
    Upvote 0