Okuma Makaira 15T II SEa on the water

stonefly

Apr 21, 2007
sacramento, ca.
Name
randy welsh
Boat
16' mirrocraft
Gear ratios don’t change with how full the spool is. The IPT will change, but not the gear ratio. 1 turn of the handle still makes the spool turn the same number of times regardless of how much line is on it.
Sure they do,

a more full spool = a taller gear.

IPT and torque are inverse.

marlindog

Jan 15, 2016
Bay Area
Name
David
Boat
None
I know we all fish differently. I use both Mak15T and Mak 16 with 60lb line. My Mak 15T has 65 pound spectra. Biggest fish I landed this year on the 15T was a 110 Bluefin on live squid, took about a half hour to land. I DO like the 15T, but love my Mak16. I feel I could use the 16 for 60lb, 80lb, and even 100lb.

knot keely

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 9, 2014
Name
Dan
Boat
None (yet)
Sure they do,

a more full spool = a taller gear.

IPT and torque are inverse.
You’re mixing up gear ratio of the real and final drive line ratio.

The former is fixed, but the latter changes with how full the spool is.

stonefly

Apr 21, 2007
sacramento, ca.
Name
randy welsh
Boat
16' mirrocraft
The gear ratio of a given model of reel is a nominal rating for comparison to other models.

After youv'e done the shopping and own the reel it's just one factor in the dynamic of how IPT, torque and drag fade change as the diameter of the spool changes as the amount of line on the spool changes.

If we were to discuss something interesting it might be how those factors change more slowly with a kelp cutter rig than with mono.

The change to the diameter of the spool per foot of line out is less with line that is %20 the diameter of the other yes?

You need to consider the entire dynamic to understand why that deckie keeps telling you to loosen the drag. :)

knot keely

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 9, 2014
Name
Dan
Boat
None (yet)
The gear ratio of a given model of reel is a nominal rating for comparison to other models.

After youv'e done the shopping and own the reel it's just one factor in the dynamic of how IPT, torque and drag fade change as the diameter of the spool changes as the amount of line on the spool changes.

If we were to discuss something interesting it might be how those factors change more slowly with a kelp cutter rig than with mono.

The change to the diameter of the spool per foot of line out is less with line that is %20 the diameter of the other yes?

You need to consider the entire dynamic to understand why that deckie keeps telling you to loosen the drag. :)
That would be pretty easy to figure out if you wanted to put in the time. The drag increase is linear as the spool shrinks with line going out. You could put marks on the side of the spool denoting when the drag has increased by 25/50/75/100%. All you would have to do is measure and mark the corresponding distance from the axis of the spool (must measure from the axis not the arbor). You could then put matching marks on the side plate for corresponding lever position that keeps the drag constant. Obviously that part will be different for every reel, and will take a lot of time behind a spring scale.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
That would be pretty easy to figure out if you wanted to put in the time. The drag increase is linear as the spool shrinks with line going out. You could put marks on the side of the spool denoting when the drag has increased by 25/50/75/100%. All you would have to do is measure and mark the corresponding distance from the axis of the spool (must measure from the axis not the arbor). You could then put matching marks on the side plate for corresponding lever position that keeps the drag constant. Obviously that part will be different for every reel, and will take a lot of time behind a spring scale.

Everol big game reels have those marking showing the percentage of increase in drag as the spool size decreases.

Reactions: knot keely

stonefly

Apr 21, 2007
sacramento, ca.
Name
randy welsh
Boat
16' mirrocraft

True that but my point is that understanding the dynamic
(the entire dynamic)
as you fish is semi important to important depending on just how technical the fishing you are doing is.

To split away variables,
ignoring one and considering another 2x isn't helping my ability to pack the gear i need to at the rail.

You know what would help?

and i don't think iv'e ever seen one here is a tutorial on this dynamic as it applies to fighting tuna.

Full disclosure:
I was a long time Sea of Cortez/mothership trip guy for many years until things got so sketchy down there.

Having 4 or 5 trips out of San diego now i can tell you that there was a bit of a learning curve over tightening down the star drag with a pair of needle nose. :)

Jul 17, 2017
Fullerton
Name
Gouryella
Boat
Lil Yachty
Mak 15t + SS 6470XH + Berkley prospec #80 = :devil::git:

15t is a must have reel in your arsenal. This set-up can run 50/60/80 and 100 (IF needed).

On my last trip, I hung a ~100lber and slayed it record time. It felt too easy.

I currently have the mak 10, 15t, 16, 20 x2, and a 50. I'm thinking about adding another 15t into my starting line-up.

Reactions: DesotoBound

JohnnieB

SelFishAddiction
May 16, 2016
HereandThere
Name
JB
Boat
Unknown limits
little lighter on my 15t with 65/Predator, 16 /80/Centaur and 20/ 100 xxx rainshadow, love the Mak Sea!, also have similar setups with Penn VISX....gotta love those also. It's always the hardest choice of which one to pull from the rack, so I alternate, I have total confidence in both, I do prefer the VISX a bit more when flatfalling just because the retrieve is a little higher ratio

Reactions: ripped

Fincutter

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 3, 2016
Bartlett, IL
Name
Greg
Boat
Independence
I really like my Avet JX and HX Raptors (two each) for the following reasons (1) light weight, (2) easy to maintain, (3) 46-47 IPT, and (4) good drag specs. That said, I'm intrigued by this discussion of the Mak 15T . . . what's the best argument for spending a few $$ to make the switch? I'd probably keep at least one of each Raptor due to versatility. But I'm wondering if a Mak 15T would be a better bait reel for 40-60#.

Reactions: Cubeye

Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
I really like my Avet JX and HX Raptors (two each) for the following reasons (1) light weight, (2) easy to maintain, (3) 46-47 IPT, and (4) good drag specs. That said, I'm intrigued by this discussion of the Mak 15T . . . what's the best argument for spending a few $$ to make the switch? I'd probably keep at least one of each Raptor due to versatility. But I'm wondering if a Mak 15T would be a better bait reel for 40-60#.
I was thinking the same thing. I've decided to wait.

marlindog

Jan 15, 2016
Bay Area
Name
David
Boat
None
I own two Avet HXs and a Mak 15T. For me, they have a pretty similar application. I like them both, with a slight preference for the Avet HX. I distinctly like the Mak 15T handle better.