Okuma Komodo SS 471P: First Look

Discussion in 'Fishing Reels' started by johndtuttle, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    After reading about this reel, I start looking up what the cost will be, and cannot find this model, Okuma Komodo SS471P, anywhere. I can find a KDS 471P. Is this the same reel?

Also, I go on Okuma's web site and they don't show any 471 models on their site. What's going on? Did they discontinue this model?

2. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    https://www.okumafishing.com/en/pro...le-Baitcast-Reel/komodo-ss-baitcast-reel.html

3. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    so, in my xmas shopping list there is a Komodo 463 for the big kid of the house (me), and wondering if Im good taking the 463 over the 364.
    my initial plan was to replace my lexa300 (now sold) but on a double thinking the 463 might be more practical for the extracapacity and more drag, but wondering if it can cast small 3/4oz lures as well as the 364 reel.

my plan is to use it on a Okuma Shadow Stalker 801XH rod I already have.

4. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    All I can say to this is it **should** be fine with 3/4oz as long as it is a good casting lure (low wind resistance).

When I cast them all side by side I use a 1oz popper with no hooks and it throws that just fine. :D

5. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    thanks John,

6. UnBelievable

UnBelievable F.V. UNBELIEVABLE

Name:
    Norm Campbell
    Boat:
    UnBelievable
    I have 4 of the 471-P’s. Use the tibirone clamp on the two joystick rods with small mods to fit. Outstanding reels in all aspects. Have 3 Tranx and Two Lexas and all of these have small advantages over one another. If I could only have one it would be the Komodo. The Tranx is the largest and I use 50 and 60lb on jig sticks and yo yo. The Lexas I feel cast the light poppers the best. I can cast the smallest halco poppers over 100 yards. You would have to see me do it as it just doesn’t make sense saying it. Have won many bets against spinning reel guys. And yes I was the guy whom won the casting contest at tackle days a week or so ago, that’s why I’m up to three Tranx reels. The reason why I have so many of these reels is I have friends I supply gear to when we go fishing.

mackereljoe, steelfish and Cubeye like this.