Okuma

NextMikeSays

Oct 23, 2017
SoCal
Name
Mike
Boat
No boat
That's strange. My Komodo casts just as good if not farther than my Lexa 400 and TranX 300. Best Baitcaster I have used.

I should preface that the Tranx is better with lighter lures. Heavier lures like irons the difference would be less. The Tranx has 50# braid versus the the 65 on the Komodo so it’s not an exact apples to apples.

I trust the Komodo with bigger fish.

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    I should preface that the Tranx is better with lighter lures. Heavier lures like irons the difference would be less. The Tranx has 50# braid versus the the 65 on the Komodo so it’s not an exact apples to apples.

I trust the Komodo with bigger fish.
    True. I love them both, they are super smooth and feel reel good!

Line_Sider

Feb 19, 2019
    Florida
    Name
    Travis Williams
    Boat
    No
    My 364LX has some scratches from concrete bridges I usually fish from here in South Florida. I've been thinking about Duracoating my Komodo. I'm a little nervous to do it but if I do, I'll post it up for sure.

Reactions: FlatPack

falconer

Aug 17, 2006
    Spokane, Washington
    Name
    Doug Pineo
    Boat
    16 foot 1955 Crestliner
    I have a Komodo 463 with a Gomexus handle with carbon fiber crank arm. It bolted right up like it was stock on the reel. The coating on mine is also wearing like everyone else's. when I first bought it, I broke it down enough to degrease the spool bearings and level wind bearings, replace lube with fancy low-friction reel oil, a procedure which was all chatty on Bloodydecks in this forum at the time. It casts like a mofo.

For those not afraid to completely disassemble the reel, you can apply a Duracoat finish in any one of scores of colors. Unlikely you'll ever see a scratch or wear again. I speak from experience, having done a Saltist 30T and a vintage Mitchell 301. Those first-generation Saltist star drags (I have 3) are great reels, but their finishes are maybe 30% as durable as the crappy Komodo finish.

falconer

Aug 17, 2006
    Spokane, Washington
    Name
    Doug Pineo
    Boat
    16 foot 1955 Crestliner
    My 364LX has some scratches from concrete bridges I usually fish from here in South Florida. I've been thinking about Duracoating my Komodo. I'm a little nervous to do it but if I do, I'll post it up for sure.

Do it, Travis! Be careful to plug all the screw holes with toothpics and carefully mask areas you don't want to receive the coating, like mating surfaces, etc. Just be patient and detail-oriented.

Reactions: Line_Sider

NoFeelings

Almost A Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Irvine/CA/U.S.A.
    Name
    Eddy
    Boat
    Parker 2320 “No Feelings”
    I think it’s the non-disengaging level wind feature that limits casting distance as it will create friction vs lexa and the Tranx.

negligible for my application tho.

Line_Sider

Feb 19, 2019
    Florida
    Name
    Travis Williams
    Boat
    No
    I think it’s the non-disengaging level wind feature that limits casting distance as it will create friction vs lexa and the Tranx.

Makes sense. I haven't noticed any issues with casting. Doesn't really apply for the kind of fishing I do anyways.
    I also, upgraded a few bearings to ceramic hybrids. As well as degrease the levelwind and plastic gearing on the side plate and replace with oil instead.

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
    Oct 1, 2009
    Green Valley, Az
    Name
    Lou Salatich
    Boat
    none
    The coatings used my numerous manufacturers sucks. As far as I am concern all reels should be anodized. The only reel with this shit coating material I have is a Komodo. It seems like the reel manufacturers all got together to put that shit on their baitcasters.

NoFeelings

Almost A Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Irvine/CA/U.S.A.
    Name
    Eddy
    Boat
    Makes sense. I haven't noticed any issues with casting. Doesn't really apply for the kind of fishing I do anyways.
    I also, upgraded a few bearings to ceramic hybrids. As well as degrease the levelwind and plastic gearing on the side plate and replace with oil instead.
    I have heard degreasing a bit will help the cast distance too. I haven't done it tho =P

Composite

Nov 18, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    None

I never saw a difference in on the water casting performance between the Komodo, Tranx, Abu, and Lexa.

But, because I keep seeing people say that the Komodo is the worst caster I decided to hit the fields and actually measure out my casts between a Komodo 364SS untuned and a Tranx 300.

Using the same rod, same exact line (50lb Sufix 832), same condition s I am actually getting better distance with the Komodo then the Tranx.

112yds for the Komodo 364SS

106yds for the Tranx 300

Guys told me that to get the best distance with the Tranx you use just one centrifugal pin and you have to make sure the levelwind guide is centered. That is how I got 106yds. But, on the water I am not going to piss around with making sure the levelwind is centered for every freakin cast.

I was barely touching 100yds if that when the levelwind was not centered.

I will post my final results in a couple weeks as I am still retesting and retesting just to see if anything will change.

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None

When I first got mine I thought it would poorly cast too. But I thought wrong... My 450 casts as well as my less 400hd. When the level wind goes from one side to another it creates some.drag making shorter casts, the 450 has a wide enough spool to prevent this, and the non disengaging level wind is a really good thing to have when using more drag!

Only problem with them is the coating, nothing else!

NoFeelings

Almost A Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Irvine/CA/U.S.A.
    Name
    Eddy
    Boat
    I never saw a difference in on the water casting performance between the Komodo, Tranx, Abu, and Lexa.

But, because I keep seeing people say that the Komodo is the worst caster I decided to hit the fields and actually measure out my casts between a Komodo 364SS untuned and a Tranx 300.

Using the same rod, same exact line (50lb Sufix 832), same condition s I am actually getting better distance with the Komodo then the Tranx.

112yds for the Komodo 364SS

106yds for the Tranx 300

Guys told me that to get the best distance with the Tranx you use just one centrifugal pin and you have to make sure the levelwind guide is centered. That is how I got 106yds. But, on the water I am not going to piss around with making sure the levelwind is centered for every freakin cast.

I was barely touching 100yds if that when the levelwind was not centered.

I will post my final results in a couple weeks as I am still retesting and retesting just to see if anything will change.

Interesting. What weight jigs are you testing with? I’d imagine the heavier the jig, the less difference you will notice as the inertial force would cause stronger recoil on your rod, making the resistance of the level wind less noticeable. I’d Like to see your results. I personally get better distance casting 80-100 g jigs on the Tranx or lexa vs the Komodo but that’s just my experience. Also the spool being narrower than the other two, the line would have to change directions more often, which also causes drag. A reason why surf fisherman prefer a long stroke spool for casting distance as there is less directional change to cause frictionz

considering these 2 factors, it doesn’t make sense to me that the casting distance would be greater.

also, it’s the same reason I wouldn’t cast jigs on a tekota as I would think the non disengaging level wind would fair the same results. For me anyway.

stank

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 16, 2005
    Bangkok
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    None
    The coatings used my numerous manufacturers sucks. As far as I am concern all reels should be anodized. The only reel with this shit coating material I have is a Komodo. It seems like the reel manufacturers all got together to put that shit on their baitcasters.

The lower price-point stuff can't be anodized because the components are die-cast from low-grade aluminum making the surface too porous.

Most of the anodized reels are machined from billet or (better) forgings.

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
    Oct 1, 2009
    Green Valley, Az
    Name
    Lou Salatich
    Boat
    none
    The lower price-point stuff can't be anodized because the components are die-cast from low-grade aluminum making the surface too porous.

Most of the anodized reels are machined from billet or (better) forgings.

I don't see how you classify the Shimano Tranx a lower price point reel. At the price Shimano sells them it is a extreme rip off. I would gladly pay another $100.00 for a upgraded Komoto with anodized sideplates

Reactions: F.I.S.H.Y

Composite

Nov 18, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    None
    Interesting. What weight jigs are you testing with? I’d imagine the heavier the jig, the less difference you will notice as the inertial force would cause stronger recoil on your rod, making the resistance of the level wind less noticeable. I’d Like to see your results. I personally get better distance casting 80-100 g jigs on the Tranx or lexa vs the Komodo but that’s just my experience. Also the spool being narrower than the other two, the line would have to change directions more often, which also causes drag. A reason why surf fisherman prefer a long stroke spool for casting distance as there is less directional change to cause frictionz

considering these 2 factors, it doesn’t make sense to me that the casting distance would be greater.

also, it’s the same reason I wouldn’t cast jigs on a tekota as I would think the non disengaging level wind would fair the same results. For me anyway.

This was done with a 9ft MH musky rod using a 4oz bank sinker.

Interesting thought, I will try on a med. light 8ft6in rod using 1oz and 2oz to see what happens.

Reactions: NoFeelings