Composite

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 18, 2015
Pittsburgh
Name
Nick
Boat
None
Okuma has these 9ft Hawaiian custom rods on their web site, when will they be available to buy?

Scuba Chris

May 17, 2016
Kapolei, HI
Name
Christopher Takahashi
Boat
Christina Ann
I have to get them factory direct?

BTW, have you had a chance to use any of these 9ft rods? How are they?
For the HCS Menpachi rods I’m still using the 10’7”, 12’ & 13’. The 10’7” is extremely versatile. I haven’t used the 9’ in awhile. When I did I used the Blue Azores 4K with it. Over 10’ the Blue Azores 6K was perfect. For med light casting I’d use the 10’7 and up. Depends what you’re targeting. If you can tell me what you’re fishing for and the type of area you’ll be in I might get a better understanding of what I can recommend.

Reactions: Composite

Composite

Nov 18, 2015
Pittsburgh
Name
Nick
Boat
None
For the HCS Menpachi rods I’m still using the 10’7”, 12’ & 13’. The 10’7” is extremely versatile. I haven’t used the 9’ in awhile. When I did I used the Blue Azores 4K with it. Over 10’ the Blue Azores 6K was perfect. For med light casting I’d use the 10’7 and up. Depends what you’re targeting. If you can tell me what you’re fishing for and the type of area you’ll be in I might get a better understanding of what I can recommend.
I am actually considering these rods as walleye and channel cat rods with the option of traveling with them to Florida and using them to cast for jacks and snapper due too the 2-piece design.

The specs seem perfect for what I really want.

Reactions: Scuba Chris

Scuba Chris

May 17, 2016
Kapolei, HI
Name
Christopher Takahashi
Boat
Christina Ann
My friends dad is visiting from Florida. He uses his 10’7” for Peacocks w/a Azores 4K spinner.

Scuba Chris

May 17, 2016
Kapolei, HI
Name
Christopher Takahashi
Boat
Christina Ann
I'm guessing you're not in Hawaii? Try J&H Tackle or the main Okuma site.

Scuba Chris

May 17, 2016
Kapolei, HI
Name
Christopher Takahashi
Boat
Christina Ann
If you whip on an open area it's great for distance. Rocky or uneven areas require a shorter rod (i like 8ft). Or next to rock or under trees.

ripped

Dec 5, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
Vagabond
I just received a HWP-S-832MHa 8'3' rod that is way different than what I've seen in Okuma's catalog as well as on vendor's sites. The blank is blue as well as the grips. The butt section is solid blue ( not a split grip as in the catalog) and the fore grip is a blue camo. Is this an older model ( pre 2020 ) or has Okuma changed their component layout?

Last edited:

Scuba Chris

May 17, 2016
Kapolei, HI
Name
Christopher Takahashi
Boat
Christina Ann
I just received a HWP-S-832MHa 8'3' rod that is way different than what I've seen in Okuma's catalog as well as on vendor's sites. The blank is blue as well as the grips. The butt section is solid blue ( not a split grip as in the catalog) and the fore grip is a blue camo. Is this an older model ( pre 2020 ) or has Okuma changed their component layout?
Can you submit pics? Sounds like their new jigging rod.

Scuba Chris

May 17, 2016
Kapolei, HI
Name
Christopher Takahashi
Boat
Christina Ann
This resembles the 9'6" Shoreline Plugger, the original wrap! I had this and because of my suggestion they changed the bottom wrap. Here'e the original.

IMG_1360.jpg

ripped

Dec 5, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
Vagabond
Thanks Chris. I'm glad to know this is the new model and based on your prototype and what I am seeing online I may have something in between. It appears the differences are cosmetic and not in components.

Reactions: Scuba Chris