Okuma Cortez 12/10

Discussion in 'Okuma Fishing Tackle' started by ColdEye, Jan 23, 2019.

1. ColdEye

ColdEye Newbie

Name:
    Ranie
    Boat:
    Paper
    Reviews looked good, I was planning on getting this for all around lighter (15-20ish lb leader) saltwater use (pier, jetty, boats and half day to 3/4 day trips). And the price of around $100 is very tempting. Was planning on getting the metaloid 5n, is the difference worth it? I was also considering the komodo ss 3xx/lexa300. So many choices to choose from.

rexor_rn likes this.
  2. skipjackrobert

skipjackrobert I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
    If only for 15-20 it is a great reel. I fish mine for yoyo on bigger Yellowtail.

3. kuyamonster

kuyamonster I only wishes to catch some fishes...

Name:
    Marcel
    Boat:
    Limited load cattle car
    I've fished the 5, 10 and 12 reels in the Cortez series. Great reels that perform well at their price point, easy to self service and can be applied to most local fishing up to 1.5 day trips. I'd suggest the 5 and 10, plenty of capacity for local angling when spooled with appropriate braided line. Either can be fished with varying topshot leaders for live bait or lures. You'll also appreciate the magnetic spool control and narrow spool width . Especially if your thumb is new to casting or fly-lining baits. (The only advantage you'll gain is more line capacity with wide spool on the 12). You're still in a slight quandary though, if you contemplate tossing in a lever drag reel (Metaloid) or low profile baitcaster into the mix. (i.e. Komodo/Lexa). Obviously the Metaloid and Komodo reels will boost you up considerably in your budget. Longevity wise, the reels with all metal construction and/or stainless steel internals will last much longer, and sometimes carry a better manufacturer's warranty. If you decide to go that route, look into getting a 400 size baitcaster right off the bat. (better drag and line capacity usually) This size is now a mainstay in many angler's arsenals. The level-wind is very forgiving, (no need to layer line back on the spool with your thumb when retrieving). They cast well and hold a good amount of line. Many use them as their "go to" reelsfor iron jigs or surface poppers. Other BD'ers here will also tell you that you don't need to be extravagant on beginning gear, since the local fish species targeted on half, 3/4, and full day/overnight trips rarely push over 30 lbs. (More often than not, the rental rod newbies are just as adept on bagging that big fish!). Save the coin and apply it to your planned trips. Personal preference for me is to use a star drag reel, I can cast farther with them matched to the correct rod. (My lever drags are mainly all 2 speed reels for heavier line classes). Keep in mind that lever drags and low-pro baitcasters require a bit more maintenance if you end up servicing your own reels like many of us on BD do. When just starting out, keep it simple and within your budget. Any of the Cortez series plus a Lexa 400. Maybe a Fathom 12/15 and 25N star drag combo. Plenty have even cut their teeth on the old school Daiwa Sealine's (SLSH, SHV, SHA) in 20 or 30 sizes, myself included. All of these will work well matched to the rods we discussed. Good luck in your search...
    KM

4. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    1/2 of my newest addition, a new outfit for Wahoo jigs. I got the 12, spooled it with 80 lb Spectra (what I had) and topped it with 50 yards of 50 lb mono. Casts a 6X Jr a long way, killed the Wahoo. A bit more work with the better grade Wahoo that we encountered, but, speed kills!

skipjackrobert likes this.
  5. Macky

Macky Member

Name:
    Macky
    Boat:
    N/A
    Just curios...do you still use 15-20lb test for larger yellowtail?

6. skipjackrobert

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    No, top shots of 50 and 60

7. Macky

Macky Member

Name:
    Macky
    Boat:
    N/A
    So you use braid equivalent to 15 - 20lb mono with top shots of 50-60lb mono?

8. skipjackrobert

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    No..You can fish that reel at 15 or 10 or 30 lb top shots..

Or if yo-yo fishing I use a top shot of 40 or 40 or 60
    depending on the terrain below the water, ie rocks..

Depends on how u use the reel..

If as yo-yo the 65lb braid with heavy top shot.
    If using as a bait reel you would use 50lb braid with light top shots. Make sense?

9. Macky

Macky Member

Name:
    Macky
    Boat:
    N/A
    Got it... thanks!

10. skipjackrobert

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    Yup..good little reel and some guys here on bd are using the 12 for wahoo..Buy one used for 75-100 bucks..

11. rexor_rn

rexor_rn Mangingisda

Name:
    Mananagat
    Boat:
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    These are my starter reels....Cotez 5, 10, 12 match with respective Cortez Rod....caught all my 1st Fish from Rockfish to Pelagics on 3/4-1.5 day trips...had it for around 2 years before I started to move up. Best Bang for the Buck with Great Performance!

12. Normslanding

Normslanding I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dave Spangler
    Boat:
    Blue Heaven
    As for Wahoo, ya it will do. BUT for the long haul a step up really would be a good idea. My personal use with the Cortez 12 for Hoo's is a fair amount. The reel will do in a pinch, but not as a go to reel. There are several Cortez reels on the EXCEL they have had three life times of use. Ask the crew what they think about using it for Hoo's. If your paying for the kind of trips which catch them get a little up grade for your reel. This is not a bad mouth of the Cortez reels. They are durable, moderate priced reels. Great for school size YT, YFT, BFT, as well as a great every day local reel. IMO, for what that's worth.

13. skipjackrobert

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    Nobody is saying it the perfect reel for wahoo but works fine. Consider who is asking..