Okuma

Calico Killer

Mar 8, 2008
W. LA
Name
Kevin
Boat
Boat
Looking for a 40lb reel to match with a Rainshadow RCLB 80M.

Been checking these two reels out. Specs look good and they're getting some really good reviews.

I'm having a hard time deciding because while the two reels are similarly priced, there are some very big differences. Strictly speaking similar sized lever drags.

The Andros is 2-Speed. The Cedros is single but with hi/lo options.
Andros drag is rated at 15/24. The Cedros at 27/34.
Andros weighs 15oz. Cedros weighs 23.

I'm fishing mostly shorter trips 1-4 days. Fishing mostly bait up top and down on the bottom. A little yoyo work here an there.

Any advice?

Upvote 0

J.AkuHed

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 5, 2003
Temecula
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
Your boat!
I like the Andros 2 speed, 6/3, A number of people on my 7 day trip absolutely slay 25#+ yellowtail, BFT to 38# and Ahi to 42#. The reels performed flawlessly with 30#-40# topshots with 50# braid. Super light super strong and when the fight is up and down, the low gear made winching up the fish seemingly effortlessly.

Upvote 0

Normslanding

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 13, 2010
Palmetto, Fl., USA
Name
Dave Spangler
Boat
Blue Heaven
Andros will give you versatility, because of the two speeds. The spool is lighter than the Cedros so it will cast better. It also has a cast control that works quite well. The low geared Cedros is a fine heavy duty jig reel. The Cedros has a thrust bearing. The TB is a big plus with very heavy drag settings. It is a better 50/60 lb. reel. The Andros is a 40 lb. reel, and can fish 50. For your application the Andros would be my choice. That is how I use mine. Both are great reels.

Reactions: Tomsd
Upvote 0

NorthShore41

Jul 19, 2010
Mo Town, CA
My 40# Okuma is the Makaira, I love it, it holds a little more line, it is beefier to handle the 40#, but I don't think that you will like the gearing for Yoyo. I like its all metal construction and some of the little details that make it a little nicer than the andros, I don't like the plastic pieces and cast control on the Andros

Upvote 0

Calico Killer

Mar 8, 2008
W. LA
Name
Kevin
Boat
Boat
Thanks guys.

The Andros seems a little more what I'm looking for. The Cedros does look like a very solid jigging reel as well.

The Makaira I think is a bit beefier than I'm looking for. Not catching any cows anytime soon haha.

Oh and Jim, always nice to hear from you bruddah. Any chance you're on the 3.5 SA80 trip the end of next month? Would love to fish with you again.

Oh and SOMF, I just want in on the kool-aid.
:)

Upvote 0

J.AkuHed

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 5, 2003
Temecula
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
Your boat!
Thanks guys.

The Andros seems a little more what I'm looking for. The Cedros does look like a very solid jigging reel as well.

The Makaira I think is a bit beefier than I'm looking for. Not catching any cows anytime soon haha.

Oh and Jim, always nice to hear from you bruddah. Any chance you're on the 3.5 SA80 trip the end of next month? Would love to fish with you again.

Oh and SOMF, I just want in on the kool-aid.
:)

Howzit Kev, we'll see. Danny invited me on the 3 day this week but it was too close to the 7 day that came back Sunday ans so I'm all tapped out!
I also have a Cedros 5 day coming up the 1st week of August.
I told Danny I was up for 1 by the 1st of September.

PS-Get the Andros, you won't be disappointed in the investment!

Upvote 0

funnyguy

Almost A Member
Feb 27, 2012
Simi Valley, CA
Name
Chris
Boat
19 foot Trophy CC
Why would you buy one of these pieces of shit?

Hello,

Im guessing you dont know much about Okuma? Its not the company it was a few years ago. Not only do they make some of the best CNC machines money can buy but now they are teamed up with Tiburon. Google some of the new reels they are making and look at the reviews.

Chris

Upvote 0

Tomsd

Aug 22, 2009
San Diego
Name
Tom
Boat
None
Do you know if they
I like the Andros 2 speed, 6/3, A number of people on my 7 day trip absolutely slay 25#+ yellowtail, BFT to 38# and Ahi to 42#. The reels performed flawlessly with 30#-40# topshots with 50# braid. Super light super strong and when the fight is up and down, the low gear made winching up the fish seemingly effortlessly.

Do you know if they had the 5 or 12 size reels??

Upvote 0

Tomsd

Aug 22, 2009
San Diego
Name
Tom
Boat
None
Hello,

Im guessing you dont know much about Okuma? Its not the company it was a few years ago. Not only do they make some of the best CNC machines money can buy but now they are teamed up with Tiburon. Google some of the new reels they are making and look at the reviews.

Chris
Totally agree Chris. They are making very good reels now - with a FIVE year warranty.

Upvote 0

Normslanding

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 13, 2010
Palmetto, Fl., USA
Name
Dave Spangler
Boat
Blue Heaven
The A5 is what is being talked about with 40 lb. The A12's are 50/60 lb. reels. On a recent 8 day trip I landed around 60 YT, and YFT on a A5 with 40 lb. The fish were 18 to 35 lbs. The reel was flawless, and fun to use. Also my first generation Andros have landed countless fish to 70 lbs, without issues. The Andros "a" series are better than the old ones, and less money.

Upvote 0

TEAMFISH

JUST ADD WATER
Aug 17, 2006
TORRANCE
Name
DAVE
Boat
SOLD IT
Thread is reborn! 3 years and 10 days later:D

Upvote 0