rdrblck66

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 25, 2012
Riverside ca
Name
Greg
Boat
Shogun
Received my 16iia today from Pelagic Outfitters today. Thanks Chris for the Incredible Deal on this Awesome Reel. As I was looking over the reel I had remembered someone saying they put a Mak handle and arm on there reel. So I called Okuma in Ontario ca. And talked to Eddie at Customer Service about the handle and arm upgrade. Eddie said where do you live I told him perris ca. He said get down here we'll do it right now. I was blown away and headed to there facility. They put the Mak 20/30 arm and T-bar handle on in like 25 min. And switched out the stock black housing around the 2 speed button to the Mak silver one. And all I can tell you it was under $75. Okuma Customer Service is second to NONE!!! Check out the pics.
1676837b3caff7ba27424dc08731d7df.jpg
5dc9c1920a3e4e7b66355b5168d09e6e.jpg

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
Very nice..!!!

Reactions: rdrblck66
Upvote 0

lgd

Aug 5, 2015
San pedro
Name
Baywatch 19
Boat
35' Seaway
purchased an Andros 16ii just before I went to guadlupe a few weeks ago, and caught 8 of 9 tuna on it, filled it with 100 solid and 80 floru, and it worked really good. Great idea on the handle upgrade, didn't know about that. Hope I can get them to do mine too, Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: rdrblck66
Upvote 0

Marc S

Captain
Mar 2, 2012
Calabasas, Calif. USA
Name
Marc
Boat
Inflatable
Hi Guys:

What is the difference between the Andros 16ii and the Mak. 16or 16sea? Why one and not the other? Would one be more of a bait reel and the other a jigging reel? What would be the best application for each?

Thanks for any input.

Upvote 0

Surfer Ed

Almost A Member
Apr 10, 2015
Clarkdale, AZ
Name
Ed
Boat
Shogun, Vagabond, New Lo Ann
Weight and thrust bearing and cast control. The Mak 16 and 16 sea is about 10oz heavier, has thrust bearing so you can turn the handle on high drag pressure and have free spool with no damage to the spool bearings. Andros has magnetic cast control.
Sea version has its spool bearings with no shields that are oiled and not greased. This allows to have better freespool performance for live bait. It also has larger t bar handle.
If to fish out of the box- Mak 16sea would be the best for bait. Jigging all three would be fine if fished at 34lbs at strike. If you are going higher than that - Maks are a better choice.

Also Maks have 5 year vs 3 year warranties.

Upvote 0

Marc S

Captain
Mar 2, 2012
Calabasas, Calif. USA
Name
Marc
Boat
Inflatable
Thanks Surfer Ed for the info. So the Andros would be (for example) a good Wahoo reel, and the Mak. 16 a better, bigger tuna, bait reel? What would be your primary use, or best intended us for the Andros 16?

Again, appreciate the input.

Upvote 0

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
Apr 17, 2007
3rd dumpster on the right
Name
Jim
Boat
Lund LX200 LFC
Weight and thrust bearing and cast control. The Mak 16 and 16 sea is about 10oz heavier, has thrust bearing so you can turn the handle on high drag pressure and have free spool with no damage to the spool bearings. Andros has magnetic cast control.
Sea version has its spool bearings with no shields that are oiled and not greased. This allows to have better freespool performance for live bait. It also has larger t bar handle.
If to fish out of the box- Mak 16sea would be the best for bait. Jigging all three would be fine if fished at 34lbs at strike. If you are going higher than that - Maks are a better choice.

Also Maks have 5 year vs 3 year warranties.

You forgot 1 key difference: about a hundred and seventy bucks...

Upvote 0

Surfer Ed

Almost A Member
Apr 10, 2015
Clarkdale, AZ
Name
Ed
Boat
Shogun, Vagabond, New Lo Ann
Thanks Surfer Ed for the info. So the Andros would be (for example) a good Wahoo reel, and the Mak. 16 a better, bigger tuna, bait reel? What would be your primary use, or best intended us for the Andros 16?

Again, appreciate the input.

For a Wahoo Reel- Andros 16 is a little big and gear ratio too low in my opinion for that application. Mak 16 is great large/long soak bait reel. It is perfect for dropper loop/ deep water jigging (think Salas 6X, PL68, Tady 4/0 or 250gm flat fall) when there is a lot structure where you need button down to get the target species head turned in your direction. That is what I use my Mak 16 Sea. I use it as a 80lbs reel. Andros 16 is lighter that Mak 16. So it does all bait/dropper/deep water jigging great too. since it lighter- you will have less faitgue fishing the Andros 16. The questions to ask yourself if deciding between Andros or Mak- What is my budget? Do I think I am going to go use more 34lbs of drag on regular basis? What type of rod I am using with it- All Glass, Glass/Composite or All composite? For example All composite Rod ( Phenix or United Composites) with Andros 16 makes for a great light weight setup for all the applications mentioned above. hope this helps

Upvote 0

okie man

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Oct 24, 2006
new palestine indiana
Name
kerry way
Boat
18' javalin
I'm not a fan of the sea versions of the makaira! The low gear is just too low! You just can't keep up with the fish if it gets squirrelly and that's where you'll lose a fish! It takes no time to pull the side plate off and remove the shields off the spool bearings. You can add what ever lube you want and be ready to fish . I break my reels down and clean and lube them after every trip anyway!

Upvote 0

Marc S

Captain
Mar 2, 2012
Calabasas, Calif. USA
Name
Marc
Boat
Inflatable
Great info. guys. Now I understand. I think the Mak 16 will be my long soak, big bait and/or dropper loop reel. I appreciate the responses. Very helpful. Love this site.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Eddie is awesome. Helped me deal with a blem rod I got from them. I stopped in and came back 45 minutes later to a new rod. He even tossed me a free hat for my troubles!

Upvote 0