Matthew Zimmerman

Fun Haver
Mar 14, 2015
Huntington Beach
Name
Matthew
Boat
11 foot Caribe
I'm looking for a new bait caster and I've heard some good things about the Akena Reel. Has anyone used this? or does anyone have any other recommendations? I plan to use the reel on the Okuma Shadow Stalker primarily targeting calicos. Tight lines! Thanks

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
I'd go with the Komodo or Citrix if you're sticking with Okuma. Haven't heard anything about these reels.

If it was my money, I'd go Lexa 300 HD.

Shadowstalker is a good rod, but be careful of the top, it is rather fragile. I've broken 2. Moving to glass rods as we speak haha, I'm just not careful enough for high modulus graphite.

Upvote 0

Matthew Zimmerman

Fun Haver
Mar 14, 2015
Huntington Beach
Name
Matthew
Boat
11 foot Caribe
Thanks tanner, I'll look into those. I'm on my second Shadow Stalker cause a big yellow broke my first one. I'll keep the fragile tip in mine. thanks again man

Upvote 0

Matthew Zimmerman

Fun Haver
Mar 14, 2015
Huntington Beach
Name
Matthew
Boat
11 foot Caribe
Thank you for the feed back Dave. The Citrix looks like a really good reel for my setup. Thanks for the recommendation

Upvote 0

mackereljoe

Apr 1, 2007
Long Beach
Name
Joey
Boat
None
Akena is good but the 300 size reel level wind disengaged (website wrong info provided). close proximity to the spool you'll hear the line making a popping noise when pulling drag. Excellent drag, much bigger than similar round reel. Go with the 400 or one of Okuma big lopro baitcast reel.

Upvote 0

Latest posts