Rancho relaxo Tuna killa
Jul 31, 2007
Vista, CA
Name
CK
Boat
Royal Polaris, Ocean Odyssey, Yours with an invite
Hello to everyone (Merry Christmas)

I got my first AVET this season and did some damage to the Albacore population with it.
that little reel packs a punch (sx5.3) I love it!

now, I'm looking to add another AVET to my arsenal and retire one of my old TLD's. (15 or a 20)

I'm looking for a reel that will be well suited to East Cape fishing and some multiday Socal stuff.
it doesn't have to be a beast of a reel, perhaps something the size of a TLD 20.

I've looked at the offerings and would appreciate input from members of this forum who are loaded up with the AVET products.

This reel would be a multi-purpose reel, bait casting and some jig action. Two speed is always a plus but not needed.
Basically I'm looking for something that is bigger then the SX and not one of the 5/0 reels, and would like some input as to what most of you are using out there.

I like the entire product line, but I have no idea the difference between the JX MXL MX.

Lend a few kind words to me on your choices.

Thanks

CK

Az.monkey

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 27, 2003
PQ
Visit site
Name
Karl
Boat
Which one ?
I love my SX's aswell also my 2 JX and my mxl.
I might try Avet's website ( cant remember what it is ) or look at Charkbait.com to get an idea on the size your looking for and color choices and then purchase from Noah's Tackle right here on the board or just stop by and play with them at the shop. Kevan know's whats up and can be a great help

Ready4TheYellow

The Fishing Guru
Mar 15, 2006
Lomita
Name
Steve
Boat
The Fishing SHO
CK,

The difference in the MXL, MXJ, JX and the LX are.

The MXJ is a little bigger then the SX. Great for 20-25#

The MXL is the same as the MXJ but it is a wide model. So basically just extra line capacity.

They both have 9 lb Max Drag on Strike with free spool and 16 lb max drag setting.

The JX is the next step up being a nice 25-40# reel.

The LX is the wide model of the JX so has more line capacity. I'd fish 30-50# on this reel if using spectra.

15 lb Max Drag on Strike with free spool and 20 lb max drag setting.

They are all great reels for fishing East Cape, 1-3 day trips with single speed models. (1-5 day trips with 2 speed models)

The MXL is a perfect reel for fishing down south from a resort.

I prefer fishing my JX-LX from sportboats though 2 days and up.

Hope this helps..

roxfisher

Apr 28, 2003
Downey
Visit site
Name
Roxanne Swift
Boat
not yet
mxl, two speed. 30-40# mono with 65 spectra backing. Great go to reel.Can handle the big wsb at cat (50 lbers) the meaner San Martin yellows and the YFT at the Lupe.

GiantSoup

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 17, 2006
San Diego
Name
Taylor
Boat
N/A
I agree with roxfisher,

a good reel would be the MXL 2-Speed. Has that extra bit of line capacity and is still a beast of a reel. I plan on getting one for my jig stick and my buddy has one that he uses for live bait YT fishing. It is definitely a go to reel for anything you might need.

Check out the Avet Website to see the size differences and options they have Welcome to Avet Reels. Home of the 100+ drag reel!

You would probably want to spectra back it... but what kind of spectra, how much and what # test is a whole other discussion.

zman91

Sep 3, 2007
Ocean
Name
Jack mehoff
Boat
Your wife’s when your out of town
hxj for show

iconpyro

Jul 13, 2007
City of Angels
Name
Iconpyro
Boat
I wish I had one...I wouldn't be working then.
Ok I just went all out, after fishing Daiwa Saltists for the last couple of years, I went and got me a few Avets. Here is my lineup and my rods that I set up. These are jig sticks soooooo without futher ado:

SX - 30# spectra 15# Top -> Seeker BS G 196-8'CT
MXJ - 30# spectra 25# Top -> Seeker BS G 980-8'CT
LX - 40# Spectra 30# Top -> Seeker 6480-8' CT
HX (2spd) - 60# spectra 50# Top -> Calstar GG690 - 9'

All spectra is PowerPro in red and all my reels are all in Red. So look wise and fishing wise it looks/works sick. I have gotten a lot of compliments on the setups. Oh the GG blank from Calstar is red/grey/black so that even looks killer. My rods do stand out when I fish (which is nice)

Like everyone said its mostly what you fish, but a good lineup (and I have asked other guys on the deck) SX, and MXJ, LX, and and HX are lineups that are hard to beat. Also I bought a single speed because I just cant justify the cost for the 2 speeds (with the exception of my 2 spd HX). I Don't get me wrong 2 speeds are nice, but sometimes that fighting feeling with a 1 speed is just plain fun. I long range out of SD so target species is albacore/YFT/yellows/dorados. My SX took on a nice size yellowtail about 26lbs and albacore up to 30lb. I also landed several dorados and a nice size BFT on my MXJ.

I also fish on my live baits in which I fish sabres/seekers and it works the same. I pair them accordingly with almost the same line test/rod combo.

Hope this helps...

blindfth

Jun 13, 2007
Irvine, CA
Name
Jeff
Boat
In my opinion, JX is the most important Avet in their lineup followed by SX.
1 ea SX 20#
2 ea JX 30#, 40#
will do 90% of most 1~5 day.

Jeff

Az.monkey

Oct 27, 2003
PQ
Visit site
Name
Karl
Boat
Which one ?
Just get another SX. Unless you are looking for tuna over 100lbs, it's all you need.

Can't really argue with that Nozzle, How's old blue holding up ? Gold needs to get serviced after 3 years of abuse and silver works like a charm still

Double Z

Apr 12, 2004
Outside the Orange Curtain...
www.IspendtoomuchtimeonBloodyDecks.com
Name
Harry S. Stamper
Boat
Nope
Can't really argue with that Nozzle, How's old blue holding up ? Gold needs to get serviced after 3 years of abuse and silver works like a charm still
I pulled the blue beast apart today to see if I could figure out what was done to another SX I got. Blue one pulls 8lbs at strike with no issue. The new reel is headed to Avet for some TLC.

TrixKelly

Rancho relaxo Tuna killa
Jul 31, 2007
Vista, CA
Name
CK
Boat
Nice!
I appreciate all of your comments.
I'm leaning towards that JX (6.0) after a bit of review.

Which vendors do most of you purchase thru?

I'm a bit of an ebay freak, thats how I got my SX.

Who out there has offered up the best prices in your opinions?

I'll have it spooled locally with some spectra and P-line.

Thank you guys again.

Trix

YANK N CRANK #2

Proud Wyoming Resident
Feb 28, 2006
God's Country, Wyoming
Name
Jason
Boat
27, Seaway, Yank n Crank
Nice!
I appreciate all of your comments.
I'm leaning towards that JX (6.0) after a bit of review.

Which vendors do most of you purchase thru?

I'm a bit of an ebay freak, thats how I got my SX.

Who out there has offered up the best prices in your opinions?

Trix
I have purchased most of my avets through charkbait.. They have provided me with excellent service.. The problem that many ebay sellers is that they don't provide support after you purchase the reel and use it.. Thats why I tend to purchase my reels from a reliable shop... So when I need help or service its there... Another benefit of buying from charkbait in particular is that they offer low price mono and spectra spooling.. They charge 1/2 or less for spectra compared to other outlets.. What are you planning to use the JX 6.0 for??

TrixKelly

Rancho relaxo Tuna killa
Jul 31, 2007
Vista, CA
Name
CK
Boat
In looking the JX, my plan is for it and the SX i already own to be my main rigs.
basically every type of fishing (socal coastal, SD overnighters, East Cape)

I have the SX on a pro saber 8' rod.
and I really enjoy fishing that set up, I will cast very far, smooth as silk.
Many ablacore, bass, barracuda, and a couple nice yellows met their maker with this combo.
I thought i had it made with my TLD's (15,20) and my trolling rigs Pen int.16s and 15kg.

I started out reading about the AVET products and comparing them to the Accu stuff and went for it with a SX.
MAn! I am glad i went with AVET.
Now I want to slowly retire the TLD's for AVETS

Those reels are like and addictive drug.
One taste and you are hooked.

So now, it's time to decide on a new set up for the up coming season.
and I think the JX might be my replacement for the TLD20, which is mostly used for live bait and irons.

I'll check out Charkbait
Thank you all for your input.

HTA

Oct 18, 2005
Anaheim
Name
Dan
Boat
N/A
The JX is an excellent reel due to its ease of maintence, cost and versatility. If you spool the reel with 300 yards of 60 or 65 pound spectra this gives you the ability to fish a minimum 100 yard topshot of 30,40 or even 50lb test wih this reel. Its a very popular reel with a lot of the guys doing 5-7 day trips as well as local. Do not overlook the JX 2 speed if it fits in yor budget.

iconpyro

Jul 13, 2007
City of Angels
Name
Iconpyro
Boat
I wish I had one...I wouldn't be working then.
I have purchased most of my avets through charkbait.. They have provided me with excellent service.. The problem that many ebay sellers is that they don't provide support after you purchase the reel and use it..
I bought all of mine through Charkbait. They usually have all the colors/sizes. They do offer free spectra(300Yrds)/top on the 2 speeds along with a reel cover. Price is pretty much retail unless its a blem. I bought all of mine from them because they are the only ones that sell them in red.

fishnrust

Jul 30, 2007
Vegas
Name
Rusty
Boat
none
Picked up 2 SX from Chark this week. 1st one 10#@strike, 15#@full, 42 second free spool. 2nd one 9.5 at strike, 14 at full, 37 second free spool. Freckin Awesome. Both loaded w/50#JB. They should both fish 40# comfortably. Maybe my JX is out of a job. That little beast gives 20 at stike and 26.5 full w/37 sec free spool amazing. Anybody else getting #'s like these? Make me think my scale is bad. It only goes to 30 lbs so I could not check the HX's, they both came in mid 20's on strike but bottomed out the scale on strike, over a 30 second free spool on one and 57 seconds on the other. Crazy.

Jan from Humbol

Sep 20, 2003
Springfield Mo
humboldttuna.com
Name
Jan (As in Dutchman)
Boat
Beached :(
It spins 37 seconds? That's great, it means that the bearings are clean and that spool is heavy, know what a heavy spool means?

HTA

Oct 18, 2005
Anaheim
Name
Dan
Boat
N/A
I have a first run HX 5/2 that the drags spec out at 28lbs at strike and 34lbs at full and the numbers are right on. While the second run has 22lbs at strike and 28+ at full and that reel is right on with the numbers. At the higher end of the drag system is where you start to to feel a slight side load on the reel. If you have not dialed in your scale your numbers could be a little off. I have a spring scale that I calibrate after each test and have run numerous test on the drags. My numbers for the HX first run shows 27 lbs at strike with 33 1/2 lbs at full from the rod while straight from the reel at strike is 25 1/2 lbs and amazingly there is 14 1/2 lbs of drag at the bait position. The reel has the ability to fish 80lb but I will fish 50 and 60lb on them leaving the 80lb to the PRO 30N.

Customboatguy

Sep 11, 2005
Inland SD
www.customboatpainting.com
Name
Skip
Boat
Grady White 248 Voyager - Twin Suzuki's
Blue water in Salona Beach is a cool place. Good cust. service there. Jx is a nice piece. spec.w/40 top works great for iron or dropper loop fishing. My.02

alantani

Jul 24, 2005
Saratoga, CA
Name
alan tani
Boat
grady white tournament 19, grady white journey 258
how many pounds of drag can you push the hx to before the handle starts to load up?

Double Z

Apr 12, 2004
Outside the Orange Curtain...
www.IspendtoomuchtimeonBloodyDecks.com
Name
Harry S. Stamper
Boat
Nope
It spins 37 seconds? That's great, it means that the bearings are clean and that spool is heavy, know what a heavy spool means?
Sorry, but the Avet spool is lighter than a similar sized Newell spool. The line on a SX probably weighs more than the spool. Remember, all that is spinning is the spool. Not the shaft like on a Newell. I know you don't like them Jan but they are really great reels.

fishnrust

Jul 30, 2007
Vegas
Name
Rusty
Boat
none
Alan, I start noticing a slight stiffness in the handle at 18#. 24.5# seems to be the max @ strike that would be comfortable to fish. The reel will go a 4 clicks higher and still have a 30+sec. free spool, but the handle would be a bare if you needed to fish it in the full position.

alantani

Jul 24, 2005
Saratoga, CA
Name
alan tani
Boat
grady white tournament 19, grady white journey 258
glad to hear that. i was playing around with one hx and had noticeable resistance at 15#'s of drag. i was hoping for 25#'s before the bearing started to load up.