Offshore Ok its not really starting to piss me off anymore

Sep 13, 2018
East County
Name
Rusty
Boat
Skipjack
But I am thinking I must be really stupid. Went out again today after bf but first I changed the spectra on by bait stick as was suggested may be the problem so any ways left mb at 1:30 this afternoon stopped and got a kill scoop of bait and outside of LA Jolla we go. Now yesterday there was 100 boats easy and today there was me and two other boats don't know if they were there earlier and left or what but now just us and bf to the north , west and south of us as far as the eye can see.
We roll up on a bf school that's just going ballistic I grab my stick shoulder hook a dean and out it goes, about 30sec later Russ is bent double over for the next two hours, I had it at the boat but just out of gaff reach once before it took off for its second smoking run. During the two hr battle my cousin kept asking me if I want him to jump in and take over, a meaningful no was my reply. This is where I must be stupid finally I have back within 30ft of gaff and was asked if he could at least feel the pull. So I figured I'm thirsty ill let him crank a few while I get a drink, bad idea I hand him my pole grab a Gatorade and I hear him say it's gone. I look over and he's not joking its gone. After two hrs and guessing it to be 130-150lbs it's gone and that's that. Not to mention on the way out he breaks my brand new avet 2sd. How could I be so f__king stupid

TunaChaser20

Captain
  • Jan 13, 2013
    Santee ca
    Name
    Albert P
    Boat
    La Guera
    I know how that feels…. I lost one at 4 hrs… had him to color, deck hand was right next to me… fish is now doing his final death circle. Someone from the stir yells Gaff… deck hand takes off and now the fish wrapped himself on the anchor rope… I was too exhausted to try climbing the rail and tuck my rod over and under… by the time he ran back it was too late…

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Daaamn bro I was not expecting that ending, Your gunna get one!

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

mike82

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 19, 2013
    west coast
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    a fish killing center console
    But I am thinking I must be really stupid. Went out again today after bf but first I changed the spectra on by bait stick as was suggested may be the problem so any ways left mb at 1:30 this afternoon stopped and got a kill scoop of bait and outside of LA Jolla we go. Now yesterday there was 100 boats easy and today there was me and two other boats don't know if they were there earlier and left or what but now just us and bf to the north , west and south of us as far as the eye can see.
    We roll up on a bf school that's just going ballistic I grab my stick shoulder hook a dean and out it goes, about 30sec later Russ is bent double over for the next two hours, I had it at the boat but just out of gaff reach once before it took off for its second smoking run. During the two hr battle my cousin kept asking me if I want him to jump in and take over, a meaningful no was my reply. This is where I must be stupid finally I have back within 30ft of gaff and was asked if he could at least feel the pull. So I figured I'm thirsty ill let him crank a few while I get a drink, bad idea I hand him my pole grab a Gatorade and I hear him say it's gone. I look over and he's not joking its gone. After two hrs and guessing it to be 130-150lbs it's gone and that's that. Not to mention on the way out he breaks my brand new avet 2sd. How could I be so f__king stupid
    Oh god. Yuck. What happened? Hook came out? Line broke? He didnt keep pressure on the fish? Thats a tough pill to swallow and i bet the last time you hand your rod off. Howd the reel break?

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

Crowman

Almost A Member
    Mar 3, 2017
    Northern California
    Name
    Crowman
    Boat
    YES
    How did he break an Avet? Run over it with a truck?

Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    Shake it off and try again. Took me a long time to get a seabass, YEARS in .Now I can tile a floor with the amount of stones I have collected, well section of a floor. Once you get one the rest will seem easy. I personally like the quest and have many fish on my list that I have been chasing for years. Best of luck on your next trip

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    My response to similar series of events was to give up.
    I'm at peace with my decision.

Bluefin fishing is the stupidest kind of fishing.

When is the next stocking of little catfish?

Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
    Oct 21, 2004
    San Diego/SF Bay
    Name
    Capt. Erik
    Boat
    21' Center Console
    No offense but Your cousin is a kook and should stay on land. He’s that guy with a black cloud that follows him around hahahah kidding bro. He honestly should have been trying to soak a couple lines for those two hours rather than foam by your hip asking for a tug

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Damm x 100 million kept ur head up and attitude ... The next best thing to landing a trophy fish is loosing one , sounds like you have the means to get back out there I hope . But dam your not stupid great story if that helps!

Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    You'll think back to this one that got away for a long long time. I still think about a PB Yellowtail I lost to a knotthead off the Nados 6 years ago.

I lost my biggest bluefin (100+ lbs) a few months ago when the dark flatfall bite was going off outside of Ensenada. That one was purely my fault due to a shitty leader connection knot. I've nailed the FG knot now, so it wont happen again. The loss was eating me alive at first but I am at peace with the lost fish now.

What helped me was to reflect on how much I respect and even love those amazing warm blooded fish. How hard they are to catch, how they are my favorite food, how many times they have fed my family, how smart they are to be boat shy, how they know not to eat my jigs tossed right into the boil they are ravishing, how we literally have to take the terminal tackle out of the water on a kite or balloon for them to bite like other fish.

I could go on and on... The way I see it is that your jinxy cousin helped you free an incredible creature to fight another day, to mate and create a thousand more bluefin for your children or grandkids to hopefully have a chance to catch some day.

Plus... a win always feels better after a tough loss. Great job finding your own fish and getting them to bite!!

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Everyone loses fish. You had a great pull, I doubt you handing it off at that time made any difference. Is handin it off during a screaming run better? None of it mattered, it happens. Your cousin probably feels bad enough. Great story, you will kill them...

Upvote 0
    Sep 13, 2018
    East County
    Name
    Rusty
    Boat
    Skipjack
    No offense but Your cousin is a kook and should stay on land. He’s that guy with a black cloud that follows him around hahahah kidding bro. He honestly should have been trying to soak a couple lines for those two hours rather than foam by your hip asking for a tug
    He may be all you say but I still think I'd rather have him out with me losing fish then on land by himself with the possibility of getting into trouble. Just my thoughts anyways

Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
    Oct 21, 2004
    San Diego/SF Bay
    Name
    Capt. Erik
    Boat
    21' Center Console
    He may be all you say but I still think I'd rather have him out with me losing fish then on land by himself with the possibility of getting into trouble. Just my thoughts anyways
    I did say i was kidding. I am all about family and friends too but I did have to rib him in bd fashion! Lol

Upvote 0